Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Loss

[1980-10-24-Houston Wrestling] Dusty Rhodes vs Ivan Koloff (Coffin)

This just popped up on nwaclassics.com. I thought this was a fun little brawl. Ivan was great at bumping and making Dusty look good. Dusty had a lot of energy here. This was super heated with the crowd. Dusty vs Foreign Menace has been a big draw. They are both busted open. I didn't quite understand why we had Texas Death Match rules if the finish was putting your opponent in the coffin. Still the crowd ate this up, and it was different. 3*

This was such a fun pro wrestling spectacle. Technical classics aside, you gotta have something like this once in a while to spice things up. Aside from the nonsensical rules they did very well. Boesch talks about Koloff having talked about burying the american wrestlers and bringing a red shovel to the ring which sounds fantastic. Dusty is so electric and Koloff is cool too. The early going with the standing exchanges built around Dusty's elbows and the falls for psychological effect was fun and the second half with the double blood was really good. You get Dusty throwing punch combos, and just when I wanted to complain that he wasn't in peril enough for the match to be dramatic Koloff bashed him in the face with the boot. Dusty's really good at selling blood and drama and Koloff bashing his head into the casket was great. Then there's that great finish. Extremely entertaining match.