Pro Wrestling Only

The Ross Report

jpchicago23

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get annoyed by how he words things. Why not just say "I don't think your matches with Undertaker were as good as they seem like they would be. Why do you think that is?" His use of words like "playbooks" and "coaches" and "antagonists" to avoid using insider wrestling terms is really annoying.

I get annoyed by how he words things. Why not just say "I don't think your matches with Undertaker were as good as they seem like they would be. Why do you think that is?" His use of words like "playbooks" and "coaches" and "antagonists" to avoid using insider wrestling terms is really annoying.

I feel the complete opposite in that I liked how he used those terms. I listened to a lot of wrestling audio lately and listening to insider terms constantly gets old really quick for me. So when JR started using those terms, my eyes perked up and paid more attention. I like his unique verbiage.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the annoying thing about Ross. I get why he's as jaded as he is but it's like no one can have a legitimate concern or complaint about anything. He'll go on about how people today have no patience one minute and then on how there's no long term planning the next without seeing any dissonance at all between the two ideas.

Guest TheGreatPuma

One of the biggest things if not the biggest thing I hate about wrestling is the corner punch 10 counts. When I was 13 and wrestling especially with the WWF was just full of these I thought it was one of the most obvious if not the most obvious tell that exposed wrestling as fake. I absolutely hated that spot :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: not so much because it didn't leave a mark though now that I think about it that is part of the reason - thanks Rosse - but for other multiple reasons. To their credit I think the WWF realised this after awhile and got rid of the majority of it :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :). That being said, I do know it does have some benefits for some of the audience and I will give the spot credit for that.

I will say there have been extremely few people that have actually turned this around and made into a great spot. Eddie and Benoit I have seen do it. Dolph Ziggler I see has changed the way he goes about the 10 count in the corner now in comparison to what he used to do (and I liked that spot too) and has made it a spot I really like. One more reason why that guy rules! :)

One of the biggest things if not the biggest thing I hate about wrestling is the corner punch 10 counts. When I was 13 and wrestling especially with the WWF was just full of these I thought it was one of the most obvious if not the most obvious tell that exposed wrestling as fake. I absolutely hated that spot :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: not so much because it didn't leave a mark though now that I think about it that is part of the reason - thanks Rosse - but for other multiple reasons. To their credit I think the WWF realised this after awhile and got rid of the majority of it :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :). That being said, I do know it does have some benefits for some of the audience and I will give the spot credit for that.

I will say there have been extremely few people that have actually turned this around and made into a great spot. Eddie and Benoit I have seen do it. Dolph Ziggler I see has changed the way he goes about the 10 count in the corner now in comparison to what he used to do (and I liked that spot too) and has made it a spot I really like. One more reason why that guy rules! :)

How do you feel about Irish Whips?

I've enjoyed the first couple of Ross podcasts, but the episode w/ Foley was absolutely brutal. Ross interrupts him repeatedly to make lame snarky jokes that add nothing to the conversation. I would've hung up after 10 minutes if I was Foley.

Then you get Ross bitching about fans not being patient in one segment, which is followed up a few segments later with whining about lack of long-term planning in wrestling today. And the part where Ross (and Foley, to be fair) start going off about dirt sheets and pimply-faced kids in their basements is just hilariously awful. Zit-faced kids in their basements? Really, Jim? That was a dated cliche 8 years ago.

It's sad that Ross (and Foley) don't realize that it's actually them who are speaking like the pimply-faced kids in their mom's basement that they're trying to mock and ridicule.

Guest TheGreatPuma

Irish whips I"m fine with Matt. I accepted them as part of wrestling as soon as I became more of a regular watcher. I think though I'm not sure anymore that I asked my brother if they were part of the rules of wrestling. And that's partly how I see it. Because an Irish is a gamble by the initiator it didn't bother me too much that if the other person decided not to resist too much with his gamble because he can also come out on top.. It's not perfect logic but it allowed me to enjoy what was going on and stay in the moment. After time goes by, it becomes more and more natural to pro wrestling rules and doesn't feel out of place but naturally part of pro wrestling itself. I accept the irish whip as part of pro wrestling's rules but I personally have a hard time accepting the 10 punch count in the corner except for rare occasions where it can be done very well and I can greatly enjoy it. But if someone likes it and feels that the 10 count is pro wrestling to them, all the more power to them. That's cool.

Also with the irish whip, it helps a lot if a lot of effort is put into it. It's also one of the reasons why I prefer the WCW ring size over the WWF/WWE/similar ring size. Whoever is getting irish whipped doesn't have to run as far in the ring. This can be adjusted to though.