Pro Wrestling Only

The Ross Report

jpchicago23

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 10 punch in the corner never bothered me or made me think "this is fake"

Guy has his opponent "on the ropes" so to speak and decides, "hey, this guy is almost done" gets some extra leverage and rains down punches

The spot isn't always executed to perfection, so I can get how it seems like a cliche spot, and sometimes guys will use it just to get the crowd engaged in the match and counting along with the punches, but in theory it's not a bad spot at all

my favorite variations are when the guy is punching and gets tossed off, bumps, and jumps back into punching. I think Ziggler used to do that, and I'm sure HBK did it a few times. I also liked Undertaker reversing the punches into a Snake Eyes or Last Ride. Or a guy getting punched repeatedly in the corner and reversing with a nut shot. All that stuff gets huge pops. So there are interesting ways to work the spot without it feeling rote

Guest TheGreatPuma

Welll, I umm .. .hmmm dislike "likes" tha :(n :angry:.! Yeah that'll do it :) :) There's some psychology for ya. "L" would be so proud.

Yesterday I was rightbrained. Today, I'm feeling left brained.

• 3 weeks later...

The show with Jake Roberts was good when they were talking about old times, but Holy Fuck did they sound awful when they were going on like a couple of old out of touch geezers from Kafaybe Memories talking about how "there are no rules anymore, no one works limbs" while both of those and most other old man whiny tropes aren't actually real anymore.

And Austin, Jericho, and JR all having Lita on in the same week is dopey. You'd think they could work out a deal so something that stupid and Amateur doesn't happen. Especially since Austin will always be the better interviewer.

Not sure if I should put it here or somewhere else but I would recommend going to one of JR's one man shows if you can. I went to the one in New Orleans at the House of Blues that included Jim Cornette. I wanted to go to the 6:30 showing on thursday night so I can spend most of the night on Bourbon St but it looks like I screwed that up because while the Cornette show was really good I heard that 8:30 show with Steve Austin was a lot better. <_>

Lots of great stories of his time starting in the business. Luckily most of it early in his career and not his WCW and WWE stuff for me. Maybe these are really old stories but the highlights would be:

1. Having to wash the back of the McGuire twins :blink:

2. The whole Dick Murdoch dating a tranny and then punching her/him in the face story

3. The time Leroy McQuirk was planning to murder Ted Dibase for banging his daughter and how luckily it went terribly wrong for Ross and Leroy

And Austin, Jericho, and JR all having Lita on in the same week is dopey. You'd think they could work out a deal so something that stupid and Amateur doesn't happen. Especially since Austin will always be the better interviewer.

Meh, is it any different than the TV and radio talk show circuits entertainers go on when promoting something?

Or Radio Row during Super Bowl Weekend?

Don't assume that all three have the same set of listeners. Granted I'm sure the numbers are high for people who listen to all three, or two out of the three, but still, it shouldn't be assumed that just because you listen to one, that you listen regularly to the other two.

The show with Jake Roberts was good when they were talking about old times, but Holy Fuck did they sound awful when they were going on like a couple of old out of touch geezers from Kafaybe Memories talking about how "there are no rules anymore, no one works limbs" while both of those and most other old man whiny tropes aren't actually real anymore.

Ross is talking more than his guests lately, which means it's about time to remove his podcast from my feed.

Did I understand Jake correctly when he said that he's got a 600-page book coming out in 6 weeks and it doesn't even touch on his WWE run? And that the WWE portion of his career and his addiction issues will be covered in two future books?

There's no way it can be coming out in six weeks, but as long as he's got a good ghost writer, I'd buy a mega Jake Roberts biography.

Ross had Jake on, who was a great guest, but when he said "Could you imagine the guys raised in this generation having to carry a snake to the ring?", I can't even figure out what point he was trying to make. He seems to have a lot of hatred for the modern scene, but is too passive aggressive to come out and say whatever his issues are. At least Cornette is direct.

Ross is great as a once or twice a year guest for Meltzer or Austin but that's about it. He's far too passive agressive and jaded to make it work as an interviewer. Also, as others have mentioned, I was surprised about it but he doesn't ask enough interesting questions.

I always find it really funny/odd when guys like him or Michael Hayes talk shit about Vince or Vince's ideas by blaming other people and never directly mention him, but have no qualms in shitting all over Bischoff or Heyman or Russo. It must suck living life being scared of the old man.

Piper also has a podcast but I'm not even bothering with that one. PodcastOne is overexposing the genre at this point. Austin twice a week and the occasional Jericho episode is enough for me.

Jose's completely right. Ross is ok with certain guests, but what makes these wrestler podcasts work is the unbridled enthusiasm and unabashed geekiness, Austin and Jericho (when he has wrestling guests) have it, as does Colt Cabana. Ross...doesn't.

I've noticed that now, people try to cover themselves when they're being punched repeatedly. I've heard stories many times of that being a Vince pet peeve and something he even used to chastise Bret Hart for not doing.

Was (is?) Vince mad at people for trying to cover themselves or not trying to cover themselves?