Pro Wrestling Only

The Ross Report

jpchicago23

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necessarily disagree with anything he said, but it's just boring and tiresome to listen to. He doesn't have the charisma of a Watts or Cornette to keep the rants interesting, so it's just very dry and dull. He's preaching to the choir with a lot of this stuff, just stating obviously correct things in an unengaging way.

The worst is when he does the other person's voice.

"So, what about this? we should do this, right?"

Then he goes

"Noooo," in the most petulant, patronizing voice possible and it's the bitchiest thing ever.

He's creating his own mental morons in his head. It's just unsettling to listen to.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta give ol' Jr His due, he was a perfectly competent host on the Lance Storm podcast - no long-winded, stuck-in-the-mud rants at all, he got an interesting story about Lance's RoH match with Danielson in 06, and the whole interview was a very pleasant listen.

He's improving (I hope).....

Having said that, I skipped his opening half hour monologue.

Listened to the MVP podcast during the week. It was interesting, covering his early life, Benoit and a bit about TNA. One thing that bothers me is JR talking about MVP improving himself and getting out of crime. It sounds a bit patronising when he jumps on his soapbox and preaches that we can all learn from it etc. Suppose that's just him getting older.....

Am I the only person still listening....? :)

Part 1 with Angle was enjoyable. They're clearly still on good terms and had a good old catch up. Nothing earth shattering, and Angle's fondness for a bit of bullshit shines through (claiming that TNA went to 2 hours shortly after his debut - it was about a year later) but worth a listen, I think.

Of the three podcasts made by guys in the business that I listen to at all (Austin, Cornette, Ross), Ross is by far the worst. Here are the reasons why:

- The 30-minute preamble is monotonous, boring and dated. Ross harping on about things most of us have been hearing for years is not compelling audio.

- Focus on current product despite talking to old-school wrestlers. This just seems pointless and a wasted opportunity a lot of the time. Look, we get it okay, heels need to get heat, but what's the point of asking your guest to confirm what you've said every week since this show started?

- Terrible interviewer. As above, he mostly comes across as having a particular axe to grind and mostly uses interviews as a means of getting that point across further.

- Goes off-topic into dreadfully dull areas. When Austin does this, it stays enjoyable because Austin's character keeps things entertaining, so much so that I could listen to Austin talk to Eric Biscoff about flying airplanes or going fishing. When it's Ross, he sucks the life out of it, so you're left with dry sports-related chat that I have zero interest in.

I pretty much hate The Ross Report but will listen to episodes of particular interest dictated by the guest. So far, no matter who the guest, the show has remained dreadful.

Corny, who can be guilty of some of the same shit, and is saddled with a brutally awful co-host (Alison), has nonetheless turned in some STELLAR interviews recently, and Austin gets the best out of whoever is on there. Ross is really bad.

Finished parts 1 and 2 of this podcast. It was solid but nothing jumped out at me. Angle seems to be in a better place and Ross did a good job letting Angle speak.

BTW I have no problems with this podcast. Jim Ross is just a long winded talker while Austin talks in short bursts. Both are good but vastly different.

Finished parts 1 and 2 of this podcast. It was solid but nothing jumped out at me. Angle seems to be in a better place and Ross did a good job letting Angle speak.

BTW I have no problems with this podcast. Jim Ross is just a long winded talker while Austin talks in short bursts. Both are good but vastly different.

I agree that the Angle interview was good, and Ross seems to be laying off the 'back in my day' rants lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, listen to JR on the Art of Wrestling, he was last week's guest. Basically turns every one of Colt's questions into a complete trashing of today's wrestling, even if it has nothing to do with the question.

EDIT: Just finished, and holy shit what an asshole. I'm not the biggest fan of Colt's interviews but JR had in mind exactly what he was goong to be saying and what points he was going to hit, it did not matter at all what Colt was going to ask him. Feel bad because Colt goes in enthusiastic and by the end you can tell he's just done with it.