Pro Wrestling Only

The Ross Report

jpchicago23

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Schiavone always comes off like a good guy and somebody you could sit down with and have a friendly chat. I guess wrestling really turns people into assholes.

The Ross Report is a lot better when you skip the first 15 minutes and go straight to the interviews.

Ross REALLY needs to stop doing those commercials using the voices of Terry Funk, Stu Hart, Jim Barnett, etc... mainly because he sucks as it.

• 2 weeks later...

After the last time Ross had Schiavone on his show as a guest, someone here said that Schiavone sounded like a better podcast host than Ross. This one was surreal, though, as it was Schiavone tying things up and keeping everything on track when Ross would go on long digressions from the topic. I remember at one point Schiavone said something like, "That's why you were such a good announcer - after a great match you always made sure everyone knew just how good the two wrestlers were," and I thought to myself, "Wait. Which one of you is conducting the interview here?" That was such a host-y thing to say.

Anyway, this one wasn't as good as the first Schiavone interview. They slipped into curmudgeon territory and Ross displayed some of the habits for which people often knock him. It seemed like he was talking a lot more than Tony, but that might be because Ross just talks a lot more slowly.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a massive thread bump, but I figured this was the place to post about this news.

Jim Ross reportedly announced on his podcast today that his WWE contract expires on March 29, 2019 and at that time he will be parting ways with WWE once again.  I don't even remember the last thing he did for them, maybe the original Mae Young Classic?  Anyhow, he apparently made some comments about how he still thinks he has something to contribute to WWE but those around Vince have convinced him that he doesn't.

Anyhow, the point is that he apparently claimed that the deal is pretty much done for him to start a new podcast with Conrad Thompson, which will replace the Jim Ross Report podcast that he is currently doing with Westwood One.  Conrad Thompson was on Matt Koon's podcast this week and apparently confirmed this.  I guess the original thought was that the Conrad/Ross podcast would kind of be replacing Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard, except Prichard now intends to try and continue doing his show on a weekly basis, although he won't be touring and doing live shows since he's back on the road with WWE full time.  Also, I can't imagine that Prichard will be able to keep up working with WWE and doing his podcast for very long.

I have mixed feelings about this news.  I don't hate Jim Ross anywhere near as much as some hardcore fans seem to.  I actually quite liked him as an announcer and I don't buy every rumor I hear about his backstage reputation.  The big question is going to be how Ross reacts to the Conrad formula.  He's going to have to be honest and straightforward when Conrad asks him questions, and if he isn't Conrad is going to have to call him on it, and I'm not sure I can see Conrad doing that, or JR reacting well to being told he's full of crap - something Conrad has done with Prichard, Schiavone and especially Bischoff.  This is going to be a whole new format for JR, no more interviews, no more monologues, and only time will tell how he and Conrad mesh.  Also, since JR is now away from WWE and not happy about it, I'd like to think he won't be in totally carny mode like Prichard was most of the time, trying to protect the company secrets.  Hopefully JR feels he is truly done with WWE now and can make a decent living of this new show.  If Eric Bischoff is to be believed, the guys who do shows with Conrad make quite a decent living from the ads, and especially the live events.  If JR embraces that and is actually open when they do this new show, it could be good.  If he tries to keep his secrets and does his crusty old JR act, then we all know it will fail.

Should be interesting.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:15 PM, The Thread Killer said:

I know this is a massive thread bump, but I figured this was the place to post about this news.

Jim Ross reportedly announced on his podcast today that his WWE contract expires on March 29, 2019 and at that time he will be parting ways with WWE once again.  I don't even remember the last thing he did for them, maybe the original Mae Young Classic?  Anyhow, he apparently made some comments about how he still thinks he has something to contribute to WWE but those around Vince have convinced him that he doesn't.

Anyhow, the point is that he apparently claimed that the deal is pretty much done for him to start a new podcast with Conrad Thompson, which will replace the Jim Ross Report podcast that he is currently doing with Westwood One.  Conrad Thompson was on Matt Koon's podcast this week and apparently confirmed this.  I guess the original thought was that the Conrad/Ross podcast would kind of be replacing Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard, except Prichard now intends to try and continue doing his show on a weekly basis, although he won't be touring and doing live shows since he's back on the road with WWE full time.  Also, I can't imagine that Prichard will be able to keep up working with WWE and doing his podcast for very long.

I have mixed feelings about this news.  I don't hate Jim Ross anywhere near as much as some hardcore fans seem to.  I actually quite liked him as an announcer and I don't buy every rumor I hear about his backstage reputation.  The big question is going to be how Ross reacts to the Conrad formula.  He's going to have to be honest and straightforward when Conrad asks him questions, and if he isn't Conrad is going to have to call him on it, and I'm not sure I can see Conrad doing that, or JR reacting well to being told he's full of crap - something Conrad has done with Prichard, Schiavone and especially Bischoff.  This is going to be a whole new format for JR, no more interviews, no more monologues, and only time will tell how he and Conrad mesh.  Also, since JR is now away from WWE and not happy about it, I'd like to think he won't be in totally carny mode like Prichard was most of the time, trying to protect the company secrets.  Hopefully JR feels he is truly done with WWE now and can make a decent living of this new show.  If Eric Bischoff is to be believed, the guys who do shows with Conrad make quite a decent living from the ads, and especially the live events.  If JR embraces that and is actually open when they do this new show, it could be good.  If he tries to keep his secrets and does his crusty old JR act, then we all know it will fail.

Should be interesting.

Him and King called the Andre Battle Royal at Mania last year and I think he was on the pre show panel at Greatest Royal Rumble.

Oh that's right, I remember him being at Wrestlemania last year for the Battle Royal.  I never watch the Greatest Royal Rumble so I didn't know about that.  I remember reading somewhere that the Saudi's specifically asked for JR and Lawler as the broadcast team but I have no idea if that's true.  So even though he was under contract, he hasn't worked for them for almost a year. Damn.  You'd have thought with the Network they'd have found something for him to do.