Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.....just had an older gentleman (and self described WWE fanatic) call in to say they just signed up for the Network to watch the show on Sunday but was perplexed no where in the process did it say where to watch on their cable box. I broke the news that they'd need some kind of streaming device, and he wasn't upset but disappointed, He didn't understand why they didn't mention that you needed some other device.

Now I'm not relaying this to be all "lol dumb wwe fan", but it's not the first time I ran into this and it's a key thing being missed by WWE. They are so bent on hammering NAHN NAHNTY NAHN, MAGGLE and making fun of people who buy PPV, they forget to tell people what they actually need to own to watch the thing. They had the flight attendant Bellas commercial that did a good job of explaining that exact thing and they've never done anything similar since.

Posted this in the Chris Jericho vs. Matt Hardy Microscope thread, but it's worth posting here too, I think.

I watched the Matt Hardy vs. Edge "Rivalries" show on WWE Network last night. Even with all of the editing and cleaning up to omit Matt's goofier moments, it's amazing how much better and more convincing both Edge and Lita were on the mic during this run. Even though Matt Hardy was angry in real life (justifiably so IMO), almost everything he said still came across like a rehearsed wrestling promo. Whereas, everything that came out Edge and Lita's mouths felt so much more "real." Even so, I still think it's unfair and total bullshit that Edge dominated the feud and eventually forced Matt off of Raw. Yes, this comes back around to Jericho, who was one of the talking heads and sounded like a clueless corporate douchebag once again. He said something along of the lines of Matt being fired "wasn't necessarily fair, but business isn't fair." Gag!

What did you find objectionable about that line CS?

As I said in the other thread, there's nothing "false" about the line, per se. But it's still the type of soulless corporate-speak I'd expect to hear from Triple H or Vince. It feels "off" coming from Jericho.

If Tyson is really out, I hope they come to their senses and run Brock vs Cesaro instead.

I imagine it's just gonna be Brock crushing somebody. It'd be cool to see Cesaro in there with him, but Kofi is probably the better choice.

If Tyson is really out, I hope they come to their senses and run Brock vs Cesaro instead.

I imagine it's just gonna be Brock crushing somebody. It'd be cool to see Cesaro in there with him, but Kofi is probably the better choice.

I'd even prefer Bo Dallas. I think they could make sort of a mini Jericho vs Goldberg thing out of that which might actually get Bo over.

Anyone else try watching Rey Mysterio: Life of a Masked Man? It's the newest "Beyond the Ring" on the Network - all of which come from from previous DVDs, of course.

It's done in a sitdown interview style with Rey and Matt Striker. I got through about half of it before turning it off.

Striker looks like he's in love with Rey for the whole thing (I'm not exaggerating), and he asks the most obvious questions (probably not his fault since this can't exactly be a "shoot interview," I guess), so we learn absolutely nothing new. With that said, I'm surprised Konnan and other people like that were spoken about so favorably on a WWE production.

This is the kind of thing that demanded a documentary and footage of Rey going through Mexico and talking about all of the important landmarks in his career - childhood home, uncle's ring, arenas, etc.

The sitdown interview format would be great for certain wrestlers, but it doesn't work for Rey at all. Probably doesn't help that Rey's voice is very throaty and scratchy, like a kid going through puberty. Striker is equally as annoying, going out of his way to roll his R's and pronounce the wrestlers' names the same way a native Mexican/Spanish speaker would. It's obnoxious!

I watched the Bloopers thing last night, based on Chief's recommendation. I had fun with it, but it would've been better if the entire show had been filled with bloopers. I don't consider stuff like GTV a blooper. Also, I find it in bad taste to make fun of Mike Adamle because the poor guy has epilepsy, which was the cause of most of his on-air slip-ups. Springer has the charisma of dry toast though, and seems overly rehearsed. Show some excitement, will you? I know he doesn't really care about wrestling, but he could at least fake it. Still, at only 29 minutes, I think it's worth watching because the Gene stuff was gold. I do agree with El-P that all of the censoring took away from the fun though. But that is what you have to expect in a PG environment.

I also watched Ready to Rumble last night (not on the Network), but that's another story for another time... :)

It's so odd that Springer has such little charisma here, considering his show is basically pro wrestling with non athletic people. I used to watch his show late at night during summer breaks from school and he was usually entertaining.

There's a hidden section on the network for interstitials. It includes a new Daniel Bryan Watch List where he lists his five favorite things on the network. Seems promising if they continue to ask talent for recommendations.

http://network.wwe.com/shows/pay_per_views/network_interstitials

Not letting me to add to Watchlist. I hate how clunky and beta test the Network still feels after all this time.

Everybody needs to check out the Bloopers episode of the Jerry Springer network show. Dead serious. Tons of stuff that never made air, there's about five minutes of Mean Gene footage with him just fucking with guys doing local promos. Hilarious!

Seeing guys like Kamala, Nikolai Volkoff and John Studd break character was fun. I'm sure those promos dragged on for hours, since you had to do one for each television market.