Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you look at their track record :

_Shawn Michaels : DX leader (contributed to get WWF hot again along Austin) and "Mr. WrestleMania" (ok, that's made up).

_Hall & Nash : 2/3rd of the nWo, the biggest box-office act of the 90's before Austin and the one who ignited the golden years of the MNW.

_Waltman was along for the nWo & DX rides when they were at their respective hottest.

_Triple H : married the boss daughter and is the futur CEO of the WWE.

_Justin Credible : greatest ECW champ ever.

Really, that's one hell of a track record, politically speaking.

I won't watch the Kilq stuff though. I'm already nauseous just thinking about it.

Credible was never a full-fledged Kliq member, but I assume that was part of the joke El-P was making.

Speaking of the Kliq, did anyone watch their 20-minute reunion on the Network? I found it horrible and shut it off after a few minutes. It meandered aimlessly, the audio was atrocious, and the productions values were (purposely) bad. What a waste of fucking time. Maybe it get better, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

I was about to cancel the network but thought I'd give NXT a shot, almost exclusively because my old-school brother-in-arms Kelly vouched for it.

Here's what I dug:

- Proper face and heel dynamics.

- Crowd getting behind faces and booing heels. Hot crowd in general.

- Commentators bickering and taking sides as if they were Vince and Jesse. I thought some of the barbs were good. "You spent your youth playing Dungeons and Dragons" "Well ... it IS a good game". Ha ha.

- Southern-style tag opener was good, lower card babyface team seemed over like Too Cool. Heel team I REALLY liked, seemed to be working a version of The Andersons / Arn & Tully. Those guys have a future.

- Thought build to Charlotte match was good and her opponent was good on the mic and got me wanting to see the match. I think Charlotte has zero charisma and the match was really disappointing, but the build was good.

- I liked the Fat Bull. Bull-Fit stuff. William Regal obviously great in the role he's in, and I just kinda dug it as a goofy little angle.

- There was a tag team where one of the guys was a bit like Kurt Angle and the other guy is black. Their promo was pretty shitty, but they looked good in their match.

- Enjoyed the fact there was a sub-one-minute squash match.

- Vaudevillains were really really fun. There's at least three teams who looked like they should be champs more than the actual champs. But their valet looked like she's over like hell and got good heel heat being a dick to the Vaudevillains. However, neither one of them can throw an uppercut like Dory!

All in all, it's probably done enough to keep the sub and watch some more. I want to watch that Brooklyn show and I might as well cling on for Summerslam.

I was about to cancel the network but thought I'd give NXT a shot, almost exclusively because my old-school brother-in-arms Kelly vouched for it.

You're in the UK, right? So this might not apply to you. But for everyone else: NXT is also on Hulu Plus - yes, even the Specials (but 24 hours later, and with commercials).

The Stone Cold-Paige podcast was better than I expected but she's a fairly uninteresting character. After 30 minutes it just seemed to be story after story of her wacky father. She was also getting on my nerves touching her hair every 30 seconds.

It's pretty clear that Legends of Wrestling, as a long, semi-shoot, zero budget program where guys are shooting the shit and sometimes not toeing the company line is never going to come back. That being said, I enjoyed Table For Three and I can see that program doing very well. I'd have done the show differently but it felt intimate and genuine. It's just a shame that the WWE seems to think that their audience has got no attention span because this program could have lasted an entire hour.

Also, Whoo Nation needs to be a part of the network. Let Austin interview the top legends (Sting, Undertaker, Vince again, Steph... I know I know, that that's how they see it), Jericho can interview the current guys and Flair the old timers.

Probably should've posted this here instead:

Anyone watch Table For 3 on the Network? Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely fun stuff. It's basically Piper, Mean Gene, and Mr. Wonderful telling stories and laughing for a half-hour. Orndorff's handlebar mustache is majestic. When he said at the end that they should do it again soon, that was kind of heartbreaking.

Was watching a Clash from 1997 and noticed they left in a Mighty Ducks commercial and a Chef Boyardee commercial. I know they leave their own product advertisement in, but these had nothing to do with wrestling.

I found that pretty weird?

Just be glad it wasn't a Foley Chef Boyardee ad. That would be grounds for "hey...wait a minute!"

Was watching a Clash from 1997 and noticed they left in a Mighty Ducks commercial and a Chef Boyardee commercial. I know they leave their own product advertisement in, but these had nothing to do with wrestling.

Just be glad it wasn't a Foley Chef Boyardee ad. That would be grounds for "hey...wait a minute!"

Foley was in those. These were just generic Chef Boyardee commercials.

Was wondering, is there any kind of legal weirdness that could arise from airing old advertising like that?

Was wondering, is there any kind of legal weirdness that could arise from airing old advertising like that?

He was, but it couldn't have been in 1997. He was still in the middle of his face turn, and not yet in his button down shirt that he wore during the ads.

Maybe the opposite - the sponsorship contract says they stay in the show for re-airings/home video? It's not just an oversight - I've seen a couple Clashes that the "sponsored by" bits left in.

The "sponsored by" bits (assuming that precedes these ads) are part of the original production that was broadcast by WCW over satellite back to TBS. As such, it is technically a part of the show and WWE is supposedly doing everything legally possible to keep programs as they originally aired so it stays.