Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis people. In 81-84 you were getting hot Nitro/Raw caliber stuff every week. The highest local TV ratings for wrestling ever. But they had the benefit of each TV being used to build to a specific show that week and being able to do hot angles and promos instead of doing more general TV with different loops running.

But yes this drop tomorrow will be great, we'll have to start a thread for hidden gems.

Crockett would occasionally throw ya a bone, but the promos were so good you dont mind.

That was even more frustrating in Canada, because when I did see a good match on an NWA show we never got to see the end because WE'RE OUT OF TIME FANS!

And they didn't run house shows here, so I didn't see my first NWA show until 1990.

(...) most non-Memphis TV of that era wasn't enthralling (...)

The 81/82 Mid South TV shows on the Network I have been watching lately mostly were pretty good, lots of competitive matches and a great roster. And honestly if I can choose between studio wrestling and shows held in a "real" arena I will go for the latter.

My favorite so far may be a 10 minute Paul Orndorff vs. Brian Blair match where in theory Orndorff is the heel and Blair the face though as both are announced hailing from Tampa, Florida Orndorff, wrestles in a somewhat respectful and clean way. As the match goes on Orndorff gets a bit more frustrated and wrestles a bit rougher, though still not going full heel or anything. The more Orndorff I see the more I think that he is one of the top workers of the 80ies.

Sounds like people are finally getting their damn Thunder so once we knock out Sunday Night Heat there won't be anything to bug them about except the important stuff like Florida.

I want Velocity. ;-)

Damn this company for producing so much content over the years!

Seriously though, it's awesome that they've cut back so much on original programming that has no value and are just going heavy with the archives. We've been begging for this for 4 years. Keep it up Vince! I'm having so much fun watching the 79-80 TV and then watching the corresponding MSG and Spectrum shows, give me 81-83! It's also just smart for them financially.

I am so happy with all the archive stuff on the Network in the vault section now. It's funny because I originally ordered the Network specifically for the cheaper PPV's. However, Fastlane is on tonight and I am seriously questioning "do I actually want to watch Fastlane? or do I want to spend that time watching more 80's wrestling on the network?" LOL

Ok, people like to talk about who the worst commentator of all time is. I know. And if any of you are watching 1982 World Class, you know as well.

Jay Saldi is clearly the worst of all time. Hes a big dumb Pro Football player who cant talk, and hes ALSO an Apter mag fan. Hes like if Matt Striker ate paint chips as a toddler and also suffered brief crib death while getting hit in the head with a waffle iron.

Ok, people like to talk about who the worst commentator of all time is. I know. And if any of you are watching 1982 World Class, you know as well.

Jay Saldi is clearly the worst of all time. Hes a big dumb Pro Football player who cant talk, and hes ALSO an Apter mag fan. Hes like if Matt Striker ate paint chips as a toddler and also suffered brief crib death while getting hit in the head with a waffle iron.

He's Brick Tamlin from "Anchorman" as a wrestling announcer.