Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just strolling through the vault section of the WWE network, and there is a good bit of archive footage from a lot of territories there. To buy all this footage would cost far more than $9.99 a month. We shouldn't complain.

Mate, we're basically stealing it at this point. Unbelievable how much content we're getting for $10. The vault is building up nicely.

I'm never cancelling my subscription no matter how uninterested I'am with current WWE.

Just strolling through the vault section of the WWE network, and there is a good bit of archive footage from a lot of territories there. To buy all this footage would cost far more than $9.99 a month. We shouldn't complain.

Mate, we're basically stealing it at this point. Unbelievable how much content we're getting for $10. The vault is building up nicely.

I'm never cancelling my subscription no matter how uninterested I'am with current WWE.

It also adds value literally every month. I am sure it won’t be super long before they eventually do roll out the long-rumored tiered pricing but even then it is likely to remain a steal.

Im still a tad baffled that they havent created playlists of individual matches themselves yet. If youre a new fan who isnt privy to places like this to find out what they need to look up then its a bit of a minefield. Even just something as simple as the 100 best matches on the network list they made a while back. Or something like John Cenas ten favourite matches ever. Also still dissapointed they havent utilised current and ex wrestlers talking about their matches even in alternative commentary or roundtable form. I cant imagine that being much of a financial investment and would likely be a really popular and resource light feature.

Isn't that the basic purpose of the Collections section? Granted what you would want to see on a Best of Asuka collection for example might be different than the WWE version but it isn't like you are getting a pile of stuff thrown for the hell of it in these collections.

I am very stoked at the posting of the full match between Andre The Giant and Nick Bockwinkel, if only because it confirms that WWE has AWA Winnipeg Arena TV in its library as well. There could be a lot of hidden gems in there if they choose to exploit it, which if course if a big "if".

The problem is how to do it. You can release episodes of WCCW or Mid-Atlantic. It's a lot harder to release a dump of 1981 Winnipeg arena matches in a way that's consumable to their target audience.

The way I see it happening is if a bigger buzz is created on social media (including some fanning of the flames by WWE themselves) around these monthly drops. For now, bring on stuff that gives subscribers a big nostalgia high like this WCW Saturday Night drop, to a point where interest can be created around more obscure material.

I am very stoked at the posting of the full match between Andre The Giant and Nick Bockwinkel, if only because it confirms that WWE has AWA Winnipeg Arena TV in its library as well. There could be a lot of hidden gems in there if they choose to exploit it, which if course if a big "if".

I'm curious where they got this match from. Larry Matysik is the announcer. It appears the announcing is after the fact. Similar to those St. Louis dvds he did years ago when he added current announcing to certain matches.

I think the announcing was live. Matysik was there in Winnipeg, said he was at ringside, and appeared in the ring after the match

Interesting. Didn't sound live to me. I also didn't see him in the ring as I didn't get that far into the match yet since I was at work and needed to get a glimpse of this gem.

Unrelated, but I watched this match from the 2004 WWE Road Warriors DVD last night. It's not very good but it's from the Omni so maybe the release of TLBA shouldn't have been such a big shock.

The Road Warriors (With Paul Ellering) vs. The Brisco Brothers - Texas Tornado Match (Atlanta, GA 8/28/83)

The best part of going thru Mid Atlantic has been being able to see footage from other territories that haven't made the Network (Georgia, Florida).

I'd be curious to hear khawk's opinion on the most interesting matches that could realistically be out there from Winnipeg. I looked at the results and there were definitely some things that potentially stood out.

I do have a spreadsheet of everything that I found over the years from Winnipeg, but I have not updated it in a long time. More things have appeared in the last few years (The full Brunzell-Bockwinkel 60 minute draw from 81and A new Blackwell-Bravo match, for example).

They seem to have recorded all their house show stuff from at least 1980, and used the bits and pieces from the arena in their TV back in the day (like St. Paul matches were used as arena bits on the Minnesota version of the TV).

I had wondered if the Winnipeg stuff was held by TSN so the WWE would maybe not have had access to the footage the same as the rest of the library (or if TSN has rights to show it too).

Flair-Bock only aired on TSN JIP but obviously they have the full match so that's one for sure I expect to see sometime. There is film of the High Flyers winning the tag titles in 1977 from Winnipeg so there should be stuff fomr the 70's around too...like Verne and Mad Dog winning the AWA tag titles in Winnipeg from Patterson and Stevens, for example.

Lots of potential there. Would love to see a block of AWA Arena shows put out in a network drop (and I think that is more likely than the actual AWA TV being released in a drop at this point).

The Matysik thing in the Andre-Bock match... I actually thought was Steve O on commentary for a long time on the JIP that has been out there (Steve O did do some while his wrist healed from surgery and they sound quite similar). If Larry is actually at the match pre or post, I have no idea why he was there. If it was a voice over, maybe it was something he grabbed from Verne to show on TV.

There is definitely some cool stuff from Winnipeg out there. Here is a couple that I found. And lets not forget Flair vs Bockwinkel also took place in Winnipeg in 1986 so WWE might have the full match to that one.

9/24/81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9W00ngHc0

5/13/82

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E538Ehx6kc4

Nick what matches are those? youtube is blocked at work for me (annoying as HELL) so I can only see the dates. Thanks.

I will update my Winnipeg spread sheet this weekend if I manage some time.

Nick what matches are those? youtube is blocked at work for me (annoying as HELL) so I can only see the dates. Thanks.

I will update my Winnipeg spread sheet this weekend if I manage some time.

9/24/81 Tito Santana vs Billy Robinson

5/13/82 Tito Santana vs Nick Bockwinkel