Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are the Beefcake matches with DDP from around '96? I remember the feud, but I don't recall any details of their matches or how they turned out. Page was getting good around the time - plus they had Kimberly to work added shtick at ringside - so I figured I'd ask.

Beefcake was the Booty Man. It was fucking awful.

Not gonna lie, I was a huge "Barber" fan when I was like 10!

Looking back, sure Beefcake was mediocre at best in the ring, but like C.S. said, he was really, really fucking over.

It's kind of sad that the rest of his career turned him into a joke, because in 89/90 he was probably the third biggest babyface in the United States behind Hogan and The Warrior.

It's kind of sad that the rest of his career turned him into a joke, because in 89/90 he was probably the third biggest babyface in the United States behind Hogan and The Warrior.

That's WCW for you.

But even if he wasn't a "friend of Hogan," he probably wasn't long for the WWF anyway - he would've stuck out like a sore thumb in the "New Generation" era.

I feel like Beefcake had become what I would call an average worker with bouts of slightly above average in 1989. He really wasn't that bad in the ring. Limited obviously but there are plenty of limited guys out there with far better reputations. Now, post injury he was the absolute shits but that was a pretty brutal injury he suffered.

Virgil was okay too. Guy did his job and did it pretty well.

If Beefcake haden't gotten injured Im guessing he takes the IC belt at Summerslam.

If Beefcake haden't gotten injured Im guessing he takes the IC belt at Summerslam.

I'm not sure he would because that would have meant three babyfaces champions at the same time, which is something I noticed the WWF didn't really do back then. I always just figured it was Perfect getting his win back from WrestleMania, plus what would Beefcake have done as champion? Defended it against Dino Bravo? Done the same angle Tornado did, with Perfect winning it back and reverted to the DiBiase feud?

I would have guessed at Perfect keeping it for the Boss Man feud, but since that was supposed to be Boss Man vs. Rude, it kinda leaves Perfect without a direction as champion either, unless he was supposed to go with Tornado later on and they just bumped it up because of the Beefcake injury.

But even if he wasn't a "friend of Hogan," he probably wasn't long for the WWF anyway - he would've stuck out like a sore thumb in the "New Generation" era.

It's pretty interesting to look at how the landscape had changed in just a few years in the early 90s, and how Beefcake's career would have been pretty much done by the 90s if we imagine he wasn't a bosom buddy of Hogan. Where would he have gone post-WWF? I can imagine him having some value to the AWA or World Class or wherever a couple of years earlier, but by 93/94 if he'd not gone to WCW?

I can't see ECW wanting him, Smoky doesn't seem like a good fit, and I doubt Japan would have been clamouring for him outside of maybe a tour as somebody's tag team partner or something. I don't really seem him going to AAA to work with Konnan a'la Jake Roberts either, so you're looking at Herb's UWF tapings, *maybe* late era Global tapings (but probably not since they were down to just locals), and going around the horn with Hercules on NWA anniversary shows, NWF-level indies, NWA anniversary shows, and stuff like those WWS tours or Germany or Australia or wherever.

Which is funny to think about really, because he might not have made as much money as working for WCW, but he probably wouldn't have as bad a reputation as he does these days since he wouldn't have been stinking up the ring on national TV far past his prime.

I'm not sure he would because that would have meant three babyfaces champions at the same time, which is something I noticed the WWF didn't really do back then. I always just figured it was Perfect getting his win back from WrestleMania, plus what would Beefcake have done as champion? Defended it against Dino Bravo? Done the same angle Tornado did, with Perfect winning it back and reverted to the DiBiase feud?

I would have guessed at Perfect keeping it for the Boss Man feud, but since that was supposed to be Boss Man vs. Rude, it kinda leaves Perfect without a direction as champion either, unless he was supposed to go with Tornado later on and they just bumped it up because of the Beefcake injury.

Look at Summerslam 1990 I mean Warrior, Tornado & Harts were champs when the night ended all faces.

Was Kerry only brought in because they needed a replacement? I know he beat Perfect at Mania so its not crazy to think he would have won the rematch too, I don't see Perfect retaining as WWE want to make it exciting unless it still happens the same way ie Dibiase screws Beefcake out of the title leading to Beefcake vs Dibiase somewhere. But back then Beefer didnt really lose that many matches on TV if any.

It's pretty interesting to look at how the landscape had changed in just a few years in the early 90s, and how Beefcake's career would have been pretty much done by the 90s if we imagine he wasn't a bosom buddy of Hogan. Where would he have gone post-WWF? I can imagine him having some value to the AWA or World Class or wherever a couple of years earlier, but by 93/94 if he'd not gone to WCW?

I can't see ECW wanting him, Smoky doesn't seem like a good fit, and I doubt Japan would have been clamouring for him outside of maybe a tour as somebody's tag team partner or something. I don't really seem him going to AAA to work with Konnan a'la Jake Roberts either, so you're looking at Herb's UWF tapings, *maybe* late era Global tapings (but probably not since they were down to just locals), and going around the horn with Hercules on NWA anniversary shows, NWF-level indies, NWA anniversary shows, and stuff like those WWS tours or Germany or Australia or wherever.

Which is funny to think about really, because he might not have made as much money as working for WCW, but he probably wouldn't have as bad a reputation as he does these days since he wouldn't have been stinking up the ring on national TV far past his prime.

Beefcake could have worked in the early days of ECW (the 1993-94 period, where they had guys like Snuka, Santana, and Mr. Hughes), but by the time they get "extreme", he'd be gone. I could see him working in Memphis too, the whole haircut schtick would get over there.

As an ex-subscriber I was recently offered 3 months for one dollar, anyone else offered this? I don't give a shit about current WWE but seemed too good to turn down.

According to reports they have tried to spike their subscription numbers quite a lot offering similar deals.

I just binged on the new Mid South, and I know it's not breaking news to say Bill Watts was great at booking episodic TV but even when the wrestling wasn't always the greatest you still felt compelled to watch the next episode.

As an ex-subscriber I was recently offered 3 months for one dollar, anyone else offered this? I don't give a shit about current WWE but seemed too good to turn down.

According to reports they have tried to spike their subscription numbers quite a lot offering similar deals.

I never get why people unsubscribe I then sure if you hate modern day WWE they always have a ton of classic footage worth watching.

I never get why people unsubscribe I then sure if you hate modern day WWE they always have a ton of classic footage worth watching.

It's not just be due to disliking the product, as they may unsubscribe due to financial reasons or just not having enough time to watch the content.

I unsubscribed when Vince donated 6 million to a politician while guys are having to use Gofundme for surgeries. While truthfully I was also having issues with the service. I was getting error messages on classic content a lot and it never seemed to happen with original programming. They were also taking forever uploading stuff they digitized years ago.

They gave me three months free last year to entice me to come back. Which I took the offer and canceled. But it does seem like they have at least addressed my service issues.

Because you can find all of the footage for free elsewhere.