Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binging on Mid Atlantic now, and for as good as he was in the ring,  Jack Brisco is human xanax on the mic. It's an even more stark contrast when Jimmy Valiant and Roddy Piper are running around like they combined to snort the whole GNP of Columbia.

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

So the next Hidden Gem is Wrestling Star Wars 1981 from WCCW back when it was still NWA Big Time Wrestling. It's not really much of a card but it was something I think was considered lost so it's nice to have it back in whatever form they have. 

This is all we know of the card so far:

2/22/81 Dallas (Reunion Arena)
Kevin & David Von Erich defeated Hercules Ayala & Ali Mustafa to win World Tag titles
Bruiser Brody defeated Chan Chung

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I wonder why the first 5 minutes of the original War Games is cut off in the War Games collection on the Network. I am almost certain it was intact on the War Games blu-ray they released a while back. Weird.

The first five minutes of the version on the Blu Ray was very obviously sourced from a VHS tape, there is a very pronounced quality difference once the five minute mark hits. 

1 hour ago, peachchaos said:

This is all we know of the card so far:

2/22/81 Dallas (Reunion Arena)
Kevin & David Von Erich defeated Hercules Ayala & Ali Mustafa to win World Tag titles
Bruiser Brody defeated Chan Chung

Wrestlingdata has 3 other matches: Fritz vs Kabuki, a battle royal and Kerry vs Harley for the NWA title 

8 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Damn. Between this and the David defense that went up with the original Hidden Gem dump I am now wondering how many Harley title defenses they got sitting their in the vault.

On one of the older services they had a Race vs Klondike Bill match from Stampede in ‘73. 

It's weird that they can't seem to work out a deal with Bret to get the Stampede stuff back on the network. Also, how did he end up with exclusive rights on just his matches even after the archive was sold to WWE? 

(For those who are new and/or forgot, Stampede stuff had a section in the vault for a couple days before being pulled due to Bret having the rights to any footage he was in somehow)

Adding stuff like this World Class show are why I'll keep giving Vince my ten bucks every month.  I couldn't care less about NXT, Mae Young tourneys, UK tourneys, 205 live, etc and, if friends didn't come over most of the time, the PPVs aren't usually must watch events either, but the old school stuff that I've never seen before will keep me around.  Considering it probably takes me a year to get through 1986 WCW episodes for instance, I never run out of stuff I've never seen before. 

I've softened my stance on that era, I used to hate it immensely. I've grown to appricate it for what it is over time, but on the Network we now have Mid South, WCCW, Mid Atlantic, and WWF all from around the same time in 1982 and the differences are stark.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:04 PM, sek69 said:

It's weird that they can't seem to work out a deal with Bret to get the Stampede stuff back on the network. Also, how did he end up with exclusive rights on just his matches even after the archive was sold to WWE? 

(For those who are new and/or forgot, Stampede stuff had a section in the vault for a couple days before being pulled due to Bret having the rights to any footage he was in somehow)

At some point before WWE bought the library, Bret made a deal with Ross (and possibly Stu) to own the rights to all footage of him in Stampede. Bret was always concerned about, for lack of a better term, being an artist with no ownership of his work, so this was his way to at least partially rectify that.

I caught some of newest WWE photo shoot which has ric and Charlotte flair on it. Ric mentions he's going to be a three time HOFer in a joking way. He then says that it'd be better to putting Larry Zbyszko in. I might be reading too much into what he said but has there ever been Heat between Flair and Larry ? 

2 hours ago, Cornette's racket said:

I caught some of newest WWE photo shoot which has ric and Charlotte flair on it. Ric mentions he's going to be a three time HOFer in a joking way. He then says that it'd be better to putting Larry Zbyszko in. I might be reading too much into what he said but has there ever been Heat between Flair and Larry ? 

I assumed he was referencing Larry's awesome, stoned, and rambling HOF speech. 

3 hours ago, Cornette's racket said:

Larry has never been a fan of Flair, but I've never heard if that feeling is reciprocated.  

19 hours ago, Cornette's racket said:

I caught some of newest WWE photo shoot which has ric and Charlotte flair on it. Ric mentions he's going to be a three time HOFer in a joking way.  

Is it just me or do Charlotte and Ric have a weird "chemistry"? Between this and their appearance on Ride Along, Charlotte tends to come across as a bit of a spoiled, disrespectful brat. She just seems to internally roll her eyes at Ric and appears exasperated by him in general. Granted, he's probably not the easiest person to be around sometimes, but still...

And WWE wonders why Charlotte has never gotten over as a face and never will.

Stuff like this is part of the reason why.

I'd normally say it's bullshit for the cameras, and I'm sure some of it is (especially Ride Along) - but it does Charlotte no favors whatsoever, so what's the point?

Also, this episode of Photo Shoot felt way too much like a glorified extended advertisement for the WWE 2K19 Wooooo Edition of the game.

4 hours ago, C.S. said:

Is it just me or do Charlotte and Ric have a weird "chemistry"? Between this and their appearance on Ride Along, Charlotte tends to come across as a bit of a spoiled, disrespectful brat. She just seems to internally roll her eyes at Ric and appears exasperated by him in general. Granted, he's probably not the easiest person to be around sometimes, but still...

She just seems to have no respect for him as a father or authority figure and reading their book and knowing all we do about Ric who can blame her? He was an enabler and tried to buy his kids love while being unfaithful to their mother and gladly spending as much time partying on the road over spending quality time with them.

Ric as a performer and a character in and out of the ring will always be glorified and Charlotte obviously loves him and respects his thoughts and opinion when it comes to the business but you can see how she and him interact he seems desperate to make her happy when he's around her and she seems to have an underlying resentment of him. 

I remember in the RF Shoot with Bob Backlund and Terry Funk where Bob made the point of the contrast of himself and Ric/Hulk in what they made and how they are regarded and how he did as the top guy in the northeast, basically it was Bob saying how if at the end of the day your family and children aren't happy thriving adults who respect you then really how rich are you? money isn't everything and as Ric and Hulk have shown they are divorced, went broke/lost most of their fortune and their children had very public struggles and don't seem to have much respect for their fathers all as parents.

Guys like Bob Backlund may not be remembered as fondly but he saved more, has a great life after wrestling, is still honored as a HOF'er and has his wife of many years and successful children that respect him and on top of that is healthier than someone of half his age.

Ultimately Ric paid the price for his lifestyle and choices not only with his own health and finances but also as we see with his children's view of him.

17 hours ago, C.S. said:

Also, this episode of Photo Shoot felt way too much like a glorified extended advertisement for the WWE 2K19 Wooooo Edition of the game.

Exactly what I thought.

I really like the Photo Shoot episodes but this one sucked. I thought Ric was going to go through most of his career with Charlotte pitching in now and then and instead it was basically all about Charlotte and the damn game. I just wanted Charlotte to piss off.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:36 PM, C.S. said:

And WWE wonders why Charlotte has never gotten over as a face and never will.

Stuff like this is part of the reason why.

I'd normally say it's bullshit for the cameras, and I'm sure some of it is (especially Ride Along) - but it does Charlotte no favors whatsoever, so what's the point?

"chemistry" is a way of putting it. The flair family as a whole seem like a disaster. I don't know if it was bix who did a very detailed article on the whole litany of issues financial or otherwise that happened to them all.   

Ric was no angel obviously but his wife Beth was just as bad going on that article. How they stayed married as long as they did I'll never know. Also outside of David there seems to beat at the very least a family tradition on marrying multiple times. 

There seems to be a trip switch in her head about getting to comfortable with him. And yes he is trying to make up for lost time.