Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Those new Hidden Gems sound incredible.  I don't want to get too hot about it until we see if and how strongly they're clipped, but this reads like quite the haul.

The Kotch/Goulet tag match runs 27:00 with intros, from film

Martel-Robinson runs 17:09 with match jip

Thesz-Longson runs 19:14 with intros

Hodge tag runs 7:41, jip from film

Takadas match runs 4:10  (This aired on NJ TV, NJ Classics, and a comm release as well

Dan

I believe the Gotch/Goulet match is from the 1/22/72 card from Boston not MSG. Notice the floorboards and wide ringside area. I could be wrong but MSG's ringside area is a pretty tight squeeze.

Just watched the match. It's really fun. Gotch is awesome.

It's Boston, the stairs have a rail on it which I haven't seen anywhere else and they are always placed on the side edge of the ring and not the corner.

Also no ceiling microphone, the announcer uses it in the Pedro/Mulligan match but not the Gotch match. Case closed.

I don't usually watch the "My son is a WWE superstar" episodes but the one on Braun Strowman is a hoot. His dad is the answer to the question "what if Braun had played softball instead of wrestling" and is quite the character. Also him being mock angry at not getting picked as Braun's WM partner was great. 

It occured to me that between Braun, Miz, and Cena you could have a great all-dad stable. 

Today's Observer Update

• Some notes from some of the new uploads on the WWE Network. The new Ted DiBiase vs. Brad Armstrong match listed as December 18, 1985 is actually January 16, 1985. The Rick Martel vs. Billy Robinson match listed as October 18, 1984 is actually May 19, 1983 and is not a title match. Other new matches put up are Lou Thesz vs. Bill Longson for the NWA title from Texas, Rene Goulet & Karl Gotch vs. The Russians, Danny Hodge & Jos LeDuc vs. Pak Song & Toru Tanaka from Floirda, and Nobuhiko Takada vs. Athol Foley from Calgary.
  • We talked about the Gotch & Goulet match on WOL today. This is not from Madison Square Garden, where The Masked Russians, who were actually Pedro Godoy & Juan Sebastian, very much now Russian, were not allowed to wear masks because the commission didn't allow masked wrestlers at the time. This is a match they are saying is from MSG but was actually from the Boston Gardens, so they were under masks as Russians. The match is from January 22, 1971, not the date WWE lists or the place. (thanks to Paul Sosnowski)

I enjoyed the Hodge match. Hodge actually sold well. Jos Leduc was more agile than I expected. Pak Song didn't look much bigger than the other three, though maybe it was just the image quality and camera angle distorting the view.

Hodge today would obviously be a heavyweight. But even by 1970s standards he's not a tremendously small man. It's strange that he's the epitome of a junior heavyweight when he was bigger than Londos and probably comparable to Verne Gagne.

I was reading about the upcoming changes to the WWE Network. With the new potential pricing scheme. It feels like it's better for all people that are currently not subscribers but punishes those that are currently subscribers. Like, it's currently $10/mo. to watch everything w/out commercials. Now it's going to be $15/mo to watch everything w/out commercials? Unless I am blatantly misreading it. So to continue with the WWE Network as I have been using it, it's an additional $5/mo. 

Which, I mean, that is just $5/mo. But I also have Hulu and Netflix already. So if we're doing $10/mo. for Netflix, $10/mo. for Hulu & $15/mo. for WWE Network, suddenly I'm up to $35/mo. so it's like I'm paying for cable all over again. That's in addition to the $60/mo. for internet. And WWE Network is a tough sell when you're budgeting & your partner doesn't really watch it.

I'm a big wrestling fan. Have been my whole life. Love WWE Network & watching it semi-regularly... but it's not worth more than Netflix or Hulu to me. And part of the appeal - a big damn part - of streaming services was to get away from commercials in the first place. The constant ads are why I stopped watching most live sports, even. Like, have you tried to sit through an NFL or MLB game lately? It's insane. I just don't have the patience for it anymore. I've been spoiled.

This is what the future of entertainment is going to be like with everyone cord cutting. New Net Neutrality rules, new internet packages & picking & choosing which streaming services you want to use but you'll still be giving the cable monopolies the money they were getting before from television only now they'll get it from streaming sites. And if companies do start throttling speeds or having you get Netflix packages, you know WWE Network isn't going to be included in those because it's not a big enough service. Let alone services like NJPW World. So it'll turn into a buffering nightmare.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. Honestly, I've been falling out of favor with Netflix. Hulu feels better to me lately. The quality of the Netflix originals appears to be dwindling & they're losing a lot of their content. Once Disney starts up a streaming service too... it's going to get hectic. 

My prediction is the $9.99 tier will be the Network more or less as it is now, the higher ($15? $20?) tier will probably have the UK indies they've been sitting on, and maybe more vault stuff since then it would be justification for any additional costs involved in restoring/archiving/digitizing everything. 

14 hours ago, drew wardlaw said:

Looks like more of the LBoA Omni card is getting released tomorrow.  1hr 52min running time, so we’ll see how much of the card it is, but very cool regardless.

•  
  • Les Thornton vs. Joe Lightfoot
  • Bruno Sammartino Jr. (David Sammartino) vs. Pat Rose
  • Mr. Wrestling II vs. Bob Roop (sub for Mr Wrestling) - mask vs mask - if Roop loses, MW1 must unmask
  • NWA National Heavyweight Championship: Brett Wayne Sawyer (c) vs. Jake Roberts
  • The Great Kabuki vs. Ronnie Garvin
  • NWA National Tag Team Championship: The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) (c) vs. Jimmy Valiant & Pez Whatley
  • The LBOA
  • Ole Anderson vs. Paul Ellering (enclosed cage match)

Only the card is under this spoiler tag, but if you didn't want to see it...etc.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:30 PM, sek69 said:

I don't usually watch the "My son is a WWE superstar" episodes but the one on Braun Strowman is a hoot. His dad is the answer to the question "what if Braun had played softball instead of wrestling" and is quite the character. Also him being mock angry at not getting picked as Braun's WM partner was great. 

It occured to me that between Braun, Miz, and Cena you could have a great all-dad stable. 

Braun Strowman's dad is the most 80s wrestling person to exist who never got into wrestling. Like he's somebody who'd make all of his appearances while also working a dayjob unloading trucks in Alabama or something.

• 1 month later...

I don't miss watching Raw or Smackdown. I don't miss the PPV's, or the documentary/reality tv original programming on the network. I don't even miss NXT. However, watching 80's wrestling in low quality video sourced from ancient taped-off-tv VHS tapes on Youtube for the last couple weeks make me really miss watching all the classic content on the Network. And I loved how all the full shows are sorted and in order on the Network. It made it so easy for, say, watching World Class from 1982 on, or going through the classic Coliseum Home Videos collection and checking out things that look interesting.

• 1 month later...

The content dump for January is going to be WWF Superstars, about 30 or so episodes starting from April 1992. That time frame is being chosen because it's when the show name was shortened from "Superstars of Wrestling" since there's still (!) legal wrangling about that name.