Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Who the hell is holding them up over this?

They let the copyright expire when they shortened the name, some indy promoter in the Midwest scooped it up, and since they've maintained it ever since they have been going around and around ever since.

WWE Network dropped BAMtech for a new streaming company. Has the service improved at all? Depending on the device, the Network sometimes felt like it was powered by a string and tin cans. 

“Endeavor Streaming’s best-in-class technology enables us to offer more features, elevate the user experience and provides us even more opportunity to delight our fans around the world,” WWE chairman/CEO Vince McMahon said in a statement.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/endeavor-streaming-wwe-customer-disney-1203107071/

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, sek69 said:

I don't usually watch the "My son is a WWE superstar" episodes but the one on Braun Strowman is a hoot. His dad is the answer to the question "what if Braun had played softball instead of wrestling" and is quite the character. Also him being mock angry at not getting picked as Braun's WM partner was great. 

It occured to me that between Braun, Miz, and Cena you could have a great all-dad stable. 

Except that Cena is a self centered douche who only cares all himself. I agree that Braun & Da' Miz seem to be awesome people.

6 hours ago, Bix said:

Didn't that Superstars name change happen in 1990? I'm pretty sure that the WWE Classics Online collection of Superstars episodes started then.

I believe the first episode they had on that Collection was the post Survivor Series 1990 episode. I remember that Undertaker was still Cain the Undertaker on his first appearance or two when I watched those.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:51 AM, sek69 said:

I don't think commercials play any role (other than tiers lower than $9.99 will have more obviously). I think any higher tier would just have more content, potentially content that WWE has to go out and spend money on.

I'd pay 5 extra if it mean no more annoying tapout ads with cena and Charlotte 

Probably important to note that WWE announced they are switching streaming providers from Disney/MLBAM to the company UFC uses for FIght Pass. They did announce some aquisitions to make it sound like they are beefing up their infrastructure, but everyone who has Fight Pass seems to think this is a step down in quality. 

Interestingly, the WWE announcement mentioned how this partnership will allow them to add new features going forward. Kind of implying that the reason WWE Network has had shit interface/searching options all this time was limits on the server end. Seems odd considering all the other companies that use it, but maybe WWE opted for the discount package when they first built the network and are stuck with it. 

Either way, it seems like another sign that WWE Network 2.0 (whatever they end up calling it) is coming sooner than later. 

19 hours ago, C.S. said:

WWE Network dropped BAMtech for a new streaming company. Has the service improved at all? Depending on the device, the Network sometimes felt like it was powered by a string and tin cans.

The streaming itself has almost always worked quite well for me (over here on mainland Europe), though I had some issues recently. My problem with the Network is that the app (at least on PS3 and PS4) from a quality and usability point-of-view basically feels like a Beta or even pre-Beta version that no one ever has bothered to bring to a proper release state. You would think with the number of subscribers they have that at one point they would bother to invest those 500 k - 1 M (or maybe it would be 2 - 3 M, but it would be in that prize-range) that it would cost to develop proper apps. I assume they spend a multiple of that every year for the streaming service.

Really enjoyed the Mean Gene documentary Monday.  It was mostly a light hearted version but that was Gene basically.  A good deal of revisionist history on his WCW run as except for his first 2 or 3 years, working with Heenan, and Flair stuff he has mentioned how miserable he was there.  Especially at the end.  But a lot of funny stuff.  Gene telling Todd Grisham at the Hall of Fame that the mic was really just a prop and you could throw it in the toilet if he wanted to.  :lol:

I was curious I figure @khawk20 could answer easily but when was that AWA Ric Flair promo from?   It would guess around 80-83 it seems and I would think it wasn't when Flair wasn't the NWA champion.   I guess they did do joint NWA/AWA shows before the Supercard days when Gene would have been in the WWF

55 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Really enjoyed the Mean Gene documentary Monday.  It was mostly a light hearted version but that was Gene basically.  A good deal of revisionist history on his WCW run as except for his first 2 or 3 years, working with Heenan, and Flair stuff he has mentioned how miserable he was there.  Especially at the end.  But a lot of funny stuff.  Gene telling Todd Grisham at the Hall of Fame that the mic was really just a prop and you could throw it in the toilet if he wanted to.  :lol:

I was curious I figure @khawk20 could answer easily but when was that AWA Ric Flair promo from?   It would guess around 80-83 it seems and I would think it wasn't when Flair wasn't the NWA champion.   I guess they did do joint NWA/AWA shows before the Supercard days when Gene would have been in the WWF

I have not seen the promo yet and I can't guess. Flair in the 80-83 time frame Seems oddly out of place. Flair defended in Chicago but not until 1985 and he did Winnipeg vs Bock in 86. Pro wrestling USA didn't start until Gene was gone from the AWA. 

EDIT: perhaps something that never aired that gene was doing for St. Louis. Or perhaps Houston...one of those two markets where AWA and NWA coexisted and they could have crossed paths. Might have been something just for fun committed to tape that got saved. 

Really looking forward to seeing that promo now...

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

My problem with the Network is that the app (at least on PS3 and PS4) from a quality and usability point-of-view basically feels like a Beta or even pre-Beta version that no one ever has bothered to bring to a proper release state. You would think with the number of subscribers they have that at one point they would bother to invest those 500 k - 1 M (or maybe it would be 2 - 3 M, but it would be in that prize-range) that it would cost to develop proper apps. I assume they spend a multiple of that every year for the streaming service.

I've been saying the exact same thing for years. If there's a way to search for my posts within this thread + the word "beta," you'll see me mention that several times. 

On 1/15/2019 at 12:55 AM, sek69 said:

The content dump for January is going to be WWF Superstars, about 30 or so episodes starting from April 1992. That time frame is being chosen because it's when the show name was shortened from "Superstars of Wrestling" since there's still (!) legal wrangling about that name. 

I don't doubt this at all. But I was told about the Superstars drop before Christmas and the person who told me that Jesse Ventura's racial/racist commentary was a really big issue with an 80s Superstars drop.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, rovert said:
I don't doubt this at all. But I was told about the Superstars drop before Christmas and the person who told me that Jesse Ventura's racial/racist commentary was a really big issue with an 80s Superstars drop.

Considering they kept in his "Roots 2!" line from the Orton/Mr. T incident (as well as other questionable lines at other moments). I doubt that.

17 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

If they think some of Ventura's commentary is racist they should go back and listen to Cornette on the Clash of Champions X.  Some of the comments he makes about Mexicans are...well, let's just say in today's climate? Twitter would have the hammer and nails out.

Haven't they edited some of that out on the Network? Seem to recall him and Brian talking about it on the Drive-Thru a while back. Wasn't he cracking jokes about someone making a fortune off selling towels to them?

2 hours ago, returner82 said:

Haven't they edited some of that out on the Network? Seem to recall him and Brian talking about it on the Drive-Thru a while back. Wasn't he cracking jokes about someone making a fortune off selling towels to them?

Good question. I'm not sure if they have edited it out, I'd have to go back and check.  Problem is, I have no burning desire to watch that show again, as much as I love the idea of seeing The Dragonmaster in a Main Event. :lol:

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Do they even make (or need to) any money from the Network at this point ?

They have over a million subs, so it's at least at the point where they are making money off of it. Not as much as they would be if they kept at least the Big Four on PPV, but it's making money.

Does it need to? Not once the Fox money rolls in. 

I just looked up the latest earning report and this stated that they had on average 1.66 Mio. paid subscribers and a total revenue (for this quarter) of 49.5 Mio. $ (though this still includes classic PPV). Content right fees revenue was at 65.9 Mio. $. Obviously these are just revenue, i.e. no costs for the streaming service itself is included (which, I assume, should be in the low 8 figures).

The last annual report before the Network (2013) listed the yearly PPV revenue at 82.5 Mio. $. Sure those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, as I am sure there was some number-cooking done, but in general this seems to indicate that they make more with the Network than they would do without it. WWE Classics on Demand was at 3.8 Mio. $ and television right fees at 160.9 Mio. $ that year, by the way.

I watched that Let Me Tell You Something Mean Gene special, and it was pretty good.

Wouldn't load at first when I tried to access it from the Recommendations section. I tried something else and that worked. Tried Gene again and nothing. Ended up loading it from a different part of the service.

Good to see that WWE Network still runs on scotch tape and tin foil. I was hoping dumping BAMtech would improve things. Guess not...

Anyway, the Gene special was nice. How is the Nigel doc? Is it the same one he released years ago?