Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/13/2020 at 3:27 PM, MoS said:

It was interesting to see Flair say that he thought he was a terrible babyface and had very limited offence. I thought his offence, while not elite, was great, and I thought he was an all-time great face, in the Carolinas, in 1989, and in WCW in the late 90s. 

It's funny, because as good as he was, I think he would have been even better had he thought more highly of himself. 

It's been my impression that most guys of his caliber prefer working heel to babyface. Piper said as much himself too. I don't think the "Nature Boy" gimmick and character is a natural fit as a babyface so I can understand his point, but for me it still worked. I thought he was a really good face in 1993-4, when his return to WCW was so welcome it would have been pointless to try and make him a heel again. It's one element that really worked against Hogan coming into the company, because they turned him heel perhaps not as gradually as they could have. 

I liked this interview a lot. He seems at more peace with himself, which could be wishful thinking on my part. I think having a wife who is watching out for him, and being part of his daughter's career has given him the motivation to age a little more gracefully. It doesn't hurt that he's got all this pop culture cred now, but it's obviously not what helps a man sleep at night either. 

On 4/16/2020 at 10:47 PM, JRH said:

I don't understand why this shit takes so long in the first place. Is it because they have go back & rewatch everything so they can dub over old theme songs & logos and shit?

It can't be because they're worried about putting up too much content at once that people will burn through. If they were worried about that, they would stop giving away free memberships.

I'm tired of waiting for all of the episodes of WCW Saturday Night. I've never seen the majority of the Nitro-era Saturday Night shows, which is what I'm interested in, because back then I was never home on the weekend to see the shows. And I know I missed a lot of good stuff because of it. "Here's six months of one year" is frustrating. 

12 hours ago, Coffey said:

I don't understand why this shit takes so long in the first place. Is it because they have go back & rewatch everything so they can dub over old theme songs & logos and shit?

It can't be because they're worried about putting up too much content at once that people will burn through. If they were worried about that, they would stop giving away free memberships.

I'm tired of waiting for all of the episodes of WCW Saturday Night. I've never seen the majority of the Nitro-era Saturday Night shows, which is what I'm interested in, because back then I was never home on the weekend to see the shows. And I know I missed a lot of good stuff because of it. "Here's six months of one year" is frustrating. 

I just don't think we are the fans they give a damn about. I'm with you, I want more Saturday Night and Superstars and stuff like that, but I firmly believe in their minds the modern fanbase wants shit like Ride Along and The Miz Show or whatever the fuck it's called. So they pump out a ton of that crap, and then every few months we get 12 episodes of some old show to shut us up.

4 hours ago, Cornette's racket said:

The last ride documentary of the undertaker first episode will premier after money in the bank and it's clear that the wrestlemania 33 match with Roman reigns was meant to be his last match but because it wasn't that good he kept going. 

Send me Wilson via overnight shipping so I've got someone to hang out with, but I love that match.  Botches and all.  Taker at Mania still had an aura and Roman brought the goods both in terms of selling and in attacking the legend.  A legitimately great match.

• 2 weeks later...

I was not expecting to like the Undertaker doc, but damn if it isn't quite good. 

Obviously, "The Last Dance" (Michael Jordan and the Bulls documentary) is in my mind so I was going to make immediate mental comparisons - fair or not - but surprisingly, so far, this holds up better than it should. Its definitely the most revealing doc ever made about Taker and I like how unguarded he is - at one point, early on, even kinda laughing off the idea of the Streak as being nothing more than an excuse for him to only wrestle 1 match a year. There were some unexpected talking heads - Jericho and JR, for example, who probably filmed their comments years ago - and I like that they didn't edit out the botches in his match against Reigns.

I'm guessing/predicting that we're going to get one more "last ride" match out of the Undertaker at next year's Mania, but who knows? Every time I think he's finally done, he tacks on another match. At first it was just the "non-canon" Saudi Arabia shows and the Cena squash (which was more of a "segment" than anything), but then the tag match in 2019 happened and now the AJ mini-movie. 

I just finished watching the second episode of The Undertaker series and it's good stuff. It seems like Undertaker needs to return and redeem himself every time he shits the bed. It's unintentionally hilarious at times. I'll keep watching to see what far right t-shirts 'Taker busts out next week. 

51 minutes ago, cactus said:

I just finished watching the second episode of The Undertaker series and it's good stuff. It seems like Undertaker needs to return and redeem himself every time he shits the bed. It's unintentionally hilarious at times. I'll keep watching to see what far right t-shirts 'Taker busts out next week. 

He had the audacity to wear a shirt that said “Blue Lives Matter” which is intended to show support for the police, obviously.

I actually saw another tweet where a fan was taking him to task for wearing a shirt featuring the American flag and some generic patriotic slogan, which the fan designated as “alt-right.”

I really need to stop looking at Twitter. 99% of Pro Wrestling fans on Twitter make my brain cry.

35 minutes ago, El-P said:

What kind of far-right T-shirt is he wearing in the doc ? 

Some dork shirt where Trump and Pence are aiming guns in the manner of Travolta and Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction. More embarrassing than offensive really.

"I Stand for Our National Anthem" isn't a generic patriotic slogan. It's a direct response to NFL players who kneel during the anthem to protest racism and police brutality.

Whenever I see "Blue Lives Matter" and like slogans, I think about the time a few years ago I saw a car festooned with various political bumper stickers. One of them said "Police lives matter" and another said "If they come for your guns, give them your bullets first." So police lives matter...unless they come for your guns. I suspect that mindset is typical among the Back the Blue crowd.

9 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

"I Stand for Our National Anthem" isn't a generic patriotic slogan. It's a direct response to NFL players who kneel during the anthem to protest racism and police brutality.

Whenever I see "Blue Lives Matter" and like slogans, I think about the time a few years ago I saw a car festooned with various political bumper stickers. One of them said "Police lives matter" and another said "If they come for your guns, give them your bullets first." So police lives matter...unless they come for your guns. I suspect that mindset is typical among the Back the Blue crowd.

The Undertaker is not responsible for the content of some bumper stickers you didn't like.

27 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

He had the audacity to wear a shirt that said “Blue Lives Matter” which is intended to show support for the police, obviously.

Tbf, I think the whole 'Blue Lives Matter' shit coming in the wake of Black Lives Matter, a protest about police shooting and killing innocent black people for the crime of existing and never really being punished for it is not so benign. I know this is PWO and whatever so I'll leave it there.

1 minute ago, NintendoLogic said:

This is quite the non sequitur, but your opinion is noted.

Your second paragraph had nothing to do with your first? You were just musing about some bumper stickers you didn't like in a thread about the Undertaker's political opinions? Because it sure sounds like you were connecting the Undertaker's shirt about how he likes cops with some other, non-Undertaker-related car decorations you didn't like.

22 minutes ago, William Bologna said:

Your second paragraph had nothing to do with your first? You were just musing about some bumper stickers you didn't like in a thread about the Undertaker's political opinions? Because it sure sounds like you were connecting the Undertaker's shirt about how he likes cops with some other, non-Undertaker-related car decorations you didn't like.

I was speaking about the Blue Lives Matter slogan in general since it had been brought up. If a conversation is about X and someone brings up Y in relation to X, it's not unheard of for people to discuss aspects of Y that have nothing to do with X. It happens quite frequently on message boards. This is all pretty far removed from Pro Wrestling Only, so I'll just leave it at that.