Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

57 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I assume International customers will end up getting screwed.  It took forever for Canadians to get the full version of the WWE Network after it launched in the USA.  We got a severely limited version with barely any content...just the live network feed, for the longest time.  I think it's a safe bet once this deal goes through, the International fans will get the shaft again. Good thing I stopped paying for it and I don't care anymore.

I would be shocked if they would not almost stop any investment (maintenance) on their back- and frontend, i.e. sooner or later the apps will be completely broken. I.e. us international users will pay more to get a broken product.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably get lost in all the Peacock posts, but I highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the Pat Patterson documentary My Way on the Network. It's legitimately one of the best things they've ever done. No earth-shattering revelations if you've read the Bertrand Hebert book, but it's awesome to see old photographs and video footage of everything. 

5 hours ago, Robert S said:

I would be shocked if they would not almost stop any investment (maintenance) on their back- and frontend, i.e. sooner or later the apps will be completely broken. I.e. us international users will pay more to get a broken product.

The more I read about this deal, including on more mainstream entertainment sites...the more it sounds like International fans are going to basically get screwed.  It sounds like they're basically transferring the existing content from the WWE Network onto Peacock, and shuttering their own platform.  This sounds like a great deal if you live in the USA, because you end up paying less money and end up getting more content, because you get all the other stuff that is available on Peacock.

If you can't get Peacock? Oh well, you're basically screwed.  If I was actually still a subscriber to the Network right now, I'd be pissed.  I know Vince and Company won't care...they get their billion dollars and don't have to actually pay to run their own streaming service anymore, so they probably won't care that the International fans are upset...but it sounds like it's going to be a mess for everybody who doesn't live in the USA.

14 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Curious to see how this plays out.  It makes me more likely to subscribe and I haven't subbed in quite a while.

The whole value proposition is different, in the sense that, if I want to watch the Saved by the Bell reboot, I have to subscribe to Peacock, and I guess I'd watch some WWE Network if I'm getting it for free.

17 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

The more I read about this deal, including on more mainstream entertainment sites...the more it sounds like International fans are going to basically get screwed.  It sounds like they're basically transferring the existing content from the WWE Network onto Peacock, and shuttering their own platform.  This sounds like a great deal if you live in the USA, because you end up paying less money and end up getting more content, because you get all the other stuff that is available on Peacock.

If you can't get Peacock? Oh well, you're basically screwed.  If I was actually still a subscriber to the Network right now, I'd be pissed.  I know Vince and Company won't care...they get their billion dollars and don't have to actually pay to run their own streaming service anymore, so they probably won't care that the International fans are upset...but it sounds like it's going to be a mess for everybody who doesn't live in the USA.

If they screw me, I'll probably say screw them and will use something that is synonymous to flood.

4 minutes ago, C.S. said:

This Peacock deal is so weird to me. It almost feels like WWE is throwing in the towel and admitting the Network has bee a failure.

Considering they got a billion dollars over the next five years, it's more like they cashed on a streaming service looking to overpay for content. It's not like NBC/Universal got a WCW level deal here. 

14 hours ago, PhilTLL said:

At American prices, you can currently get at least 4 TB of name-brand storage for 1 year of WWE Network. I'm just saying.

More like 6 TB (internal or external) going by current European prizes. For a couple of years I am thinking about setting up a NAS at home, the problem are mainly logistics (where to put that and how get the network cable there - I don't want that noise in the room where my PC and TV are located).

On 1/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, C.S. said:

This will probably get lost in all the Peacock posts, but I highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the Pat Patterson documentary My Way on the Network. It's legitimately one of the best things they've ever done. No earth-shattering revelations if you've read the Bertrand Hebert book, but it's awesome to see old photographs and video footage of everything. 

I liked it, but I feel like they skimped out on fleshing his story out a bit more. I take it this has a lot from the doc about him before, Accepted?

2 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

I liked it, but I feel like they skimped out on fleshing his story out a bit more. I take it this has a lot from the doc about him before, Accepted?

Yes, it is. But recut to include a few minutes about him after he died. Tributes from Roman Reigns, The Rock, Bruce Prichard, a very upset and sad Vince McMahon and some others.

It is a bit of a confusing hackjob. The whole thing prior to the 2021 inserts is about how he's gay but that didn't matter because he was a good wrestler. Was a really odd tone for 2015 the documentary was primarily made and odder now. A lot of it was looking back at his career and telling the story of his parents, promoters etc. But then there is Pat telling stories about Vince Sr, and Gerald Brisco saying similar things. They could have tidied it up a bit as it felt like watching a DVD documentary with the chapters set at random at times. It is still worth a watch and Pat is extremely warm and likeable. 

The first episode of Icons, on Yokozuna, is pretty good. Production-wise it's very good and it's clear they are modeling it a bit more on the Andre HBO doc. No voice-over guy, with some brief external information just shown as text, and not so crazy on the editing either. 

I don't know what the scheduling is on these but I hope Luger's episode is next as there really isn't any other episode I'm excited for. It's clear they are trying to counter what Dark Side of the Ring is doing to some degree, but I can see this being a really good program in the future for them. 

I watched the Royal Rumble roundtable with Charlotte, Sasha, Mickie James, and Nattie. Ehhh, basically 18 minutes of fluff and back-patting (not that they don't deserve to feel proud - they absolutely do - but there wasn't exactly much substance to it).

15 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Oh you Americans and your competitive marketplaces, with tons of subscription perks. (bitter Canadian here who once used a VPN to circumvent crappy near monopolistic Canadian cable systems, with their stupid streaming rules and other bullshit barriers)

Ours are just as bad, this was just the one rare case that a Canadian one was worse.