Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.....yesterday I signed up for the $9.99 for 4 months of premium deal......

My biggest concern was immediately realized.  I loaded up WCW BattleBowl 93 randomly and it was practically unwatchable with the pausing and buffering.  I figured on that, because that's the way it was with old Network content for me most of the time and one of the biggest reasons I was a sporadic subscriber

Then I load up night 1 of NXT Takeover figuring if anything will play smooth it's that, right?  NOPE.  Couldn't get thru Kushida and Dunne.....

I don't have the fastest internet, but it's definitely not the slowest either.  I have zero issues with Prime or Netflix and I'm able to download large files relatively quickly.  I've always had issues with WWE's "on demand" (HA) offerings...

They don't seem to have any options for video quality, or any auto adjust to your internet speed like other services.....meh.

Is this going to be a constant fucking issue like it was with the Network?  I haven't tested any non-WWE content yet, and I haven't read the last few pages of this thread.....but I have a feeling a random Office ep won't pause and buffer like that

The only issues I had was some sound drop offs with night one of Takeover, but I think that was due to it being a shared feed with USA Network and it was cutting the sound when they were going to commercial. 

So  far the early Peacock days have been way smoother than the early Network experience was. I remember going to a friend's house to watch Mania that first Network year and it was a disaster. 

I already had Peacock through having Xfinity so I haven't experienced any issues of buffering or pausing on any content as it is coming through. The Peacock app sucks, though. Super slow to browse, sucks to search for anything, and misses general functionality that has been part of all streaming services for years (like live pausing, rewind, starting a live show from the beginning, skipping by 15-30 seconds instead of fast forwarding and hoping you stop at the right moment) and a couple of WWE Network specific ones (like segment/match chapters to jump to). Playback has been perfectly solid on VOD stuff, WWE or other TV/Movies. The only live stuff I've watched through Peacock is a bit of Fastlane and the Takeover shows and there was very occasional momentary pixelization once or twice during each event and that's it. 

Shitty lay out and browsing can be mitigated by being able to search via the Xfinity remote and go through the X1 interface and find what you want much much faster which will then open in the Peacock app. That goes for all non WWE stuff on Peacock as well. I think the plan is to have all that was up prior to the move to be uploaded to Peacock by Summerslam or something. Not really sure why they didn't do this ahead of time, they made the deal in January and the app went live with like 10% of Network content if that. And then the content they went with like a couple of 2000 WCW PPVs and NEW Saturday Night episodes that weren't even on the Network proper before, and UK indies, before they started filling in WCW/ECW PPVs. 

Commercials haven't bothered me in the few actual wrestling events I've watched as they come at pretty natural times, but they really suck in something like Broken Skull Sessions. My fear is they're going to give up completely on uploading territory era stuff going forward.

4 hours ago, strobogo said:

Few people in the wrestling world I want to hear less from than Chris Jericho these days. Would be a lot more interested if they had Cody/Kenny/Tony on.

The only one of those three who’d ever be, or have a reason to be on as an active AEW employee/suit is Cody.  And even there I’d doubt he, or Dustin would do anything like it until either one finally heads into the sunset as a regular performer.

Look, I'm as down on Jericho as everyone else is given his Trump horseshit. But that was a great interview and I think it's showing that at this point, right now? Vince has no problem with AEW and probably kind of respects them. My imagination is creating a story where Vince likes that his son in law's project got beat in the ratings.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Look, I'm as down on Jericho as everyone else is given his Trump horseshit. But that was a great interview and I think it's showing that at this point, right now? Vince has no problem with AEW and probably kind of respects them. My imagination is creating a story where Vince likes that his son in law's project got beat in the ratings.

You might not be that far off, I could see Vince enjoying the chance to embarrass Hunter by not having any issue approving one of the top stars of the company that kicked his ass to be on WWE programming. Especially with the story Austin told where he called Vince twice to clear it with him, the joke being Austin couldn't believe he agreed that easily and he had to call him back to confirm. 

We all know Vince hates losers almost as much as he loves winners. He's gotta be thinking "well goddamn, I better make sure I live to 150! none of these weaklings can get the job done!"

Awesome, awesome interview with Jericho. Would I listen to his advice or take him seriously about politics or basically any aspect of the real world? Not a chance! But he has an elite mind for wrestling. The youngsters in AEW are lucky to be under his learning tree. 

Question: There was news or a clip that Jericho mentioned Sammy Guevara on the show, but I don't remember seeing that on the actual episode. Was it cut or did I just miss it?

It was fantastic. I love listening to these two talk about wrestling. This format is especially great because you get to see them watching footage and commenting on it. I love Austin's enthusiasm when he shows his interviewee the clips.

There's a bonus clip on the YouTube channel where Jericho is talking about Eddie. Calls him one of the greatest all rounders ever and mentions a great little tag match he had with him against the Faces of Fear on Nitro in 1997. Neat because that was one of a handful of Faces of Fear TV matches I remember really liking when I watched '97 Nitro.

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Awesome, awesome interview with Jericho. Would I listen to his advice or take him seriously about politics or basically any aspect of the real world? Not a chance! But he has an elite mind for wrestling. The youngsters in AEW are lucky to be under his learning tree. 

Question: There was news or a clip that Jericho mentioned Sammy Guevara on the show, but I don't remember seeing that on the actual episode. Was it cut or did I just miss it?

That was in a "answer these questions in 60 seconds"-type promo ahead of the whole interview. They have been doing that lately, those or "word association in 60 seconds" like they did with Randy Orton. Those never end up being part of the interviews themselves, just something they throw out there as a promo a few days before the episode itself.

• 1 month later...

Yeah unless there's a mega dump between now and then (and Summerslam isn't until mid August so I guess it's technically possible) it's not looking good that they will make that goal. 

It's really discouraging since I've been going back to watch ECW PPVs and there's so much that was available before that is still missing. 

Are the SNMEs uploaded yet? I let my subscription run out last month, and last I had it, they had not uploaded the SNMEs. Really weird to me that they would start uploading Clash of Champions before SNME, particularly given the fact that Peacock is NBC property and SNME was also an NBCU show

23 hours ago, sek69 said:

They seemed to have another mini burst of uploading, now ECW TV from 93-96 is all up and they added more WCW shows. 

I look forward to hearing from the people anxiously scanning for this if they've made any new edits to the ECW shows to fit Peacock standards.

13 hours ago, Migs said:

I look forward to hearing from the people anxiously scanning for this if they've made any new edits to the ECW shows to fit Peacock standards.

A buddy of mine watched Heatwave '98 the other day and said Bubba calling the fan a "fat, bald, motherfucker" and telling the girl in the front row that her mother taught her how to suck dick was all still in there.

I haven't seen any editing for content of anything. All kinds of breezy racism and crazy shit even on randomly weekly TV shows in the 80s/90s that aren't edited for content, no editing of New Jack or Benoit or any other problematic fella. I haven't even actually seen any disclaimers like the non-Peacock version had.