WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

There are "lost" Observers from the 80s? I was unaware of that 

Well the "common" online collection for 1984 has newsletters from January, March, April, May, June, and September in it. Dave may have been on a Dave-like publishing schedule, or there are gaps.

At least with what I have, my collection could be outdated as I've had it for better than a decade.

Pre 1985 WONs were an interesting process in Dave finding what style and frequency of publishing worked for him. 

Also apparently he's kind of sensitive about those years since that was one of the reasons Todd Martin fell out with the crew over there. Him and Alvarez were doing a bit where Todd would revisit 80s Observers and (allegedly) Dave put the kibosh on that. 

On 10/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, sek69 said:

Yeah but I thought "UWF" wasn't a thing at that time and Shinma was president due to New Japan and WWF working together. I never heard of there being a UWF until Maeda and pals broke off from New Japan. 

In fact Hisa's site has the belt on this show as the same lineage as the second one you linked. 

In 1983, there was an attempted coup within New Japan to oust Inoki from the company. Inoki had been syphoning New Japan's profits into a business venture in Brazil (an alternative energy source that was meant to solve the global food crisis), and was forced to resign after Tiger Mask's shock resignation. Sakaguchi also resigned, and Shinma was pushed out of the company under the guise of a three month suspension. No-one is sure how the UWF originated, but the most common theory is that Shinma created it as a promotion for Inoki to jump to after the coup. However, TV Asahi intervened and put an end to the coup. Inoki wound up staying in New Japan and Shinma couldn't get him to transfer. The original concept for UWF was basically New Japan under a new name, and the initial advertising promised stars like Inoki, Backlund and Andre. Shinma couldn't deliver the WWF guys because they were under contract with New Japan. He was able to use his ties with New York to send Maeda there, and his hope was to get Vince to supply foreign talent after the WWF's contract with New Japan expired, but he resigned from the UWF once it became obvious that Inoki wasn't going to jump. 

Funny, after learning about the history of all this I went to NJPW World and watched some matches there of WWF guys in Japan from like 83-85 and stumbled upon an Inoki/Sakaguchi vs The Machines match. It was hilarious to me how the announcers were like "Yeah that's Andre and the Masked Superstar there" when the whole angle in the WWF was supposed to be all wink-and-nod "who could this giant in a mask who's built and moves exactly like Andre be". I remember there being a WWF Machines match where either Gorilla or Bruno supposed it could be Giant Baba under the mask so maybe this was New Japan giving them a receipt. 

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

Pre 1985 WONs were an interesting process in Dave finding what style and frequency of publishing worked for him. 

Also apparently he's kind of sensitive about those years since that was one of the reasons Todd Martin fell out with the crew over there. Him and Alvarez were doing a bit where Todd would revisit 80s Observers and (allegedly) Dave put the kibosh on that. 

Yeah I am not sure if he was publishing monthly or fortnightly back then. Can't imagine he was doing weekly issues.

Also, yeah, while he is an obstinate dude and will publicly defend constantly calling JYD Junkfood Dog on Twitter, he is also smart. He knows that while a lot of his snark and jokes in the 80s were funny, he probably thinks a lot of them also don't age well, and they were certainly not becoming of the professional publication the WON would eventually become. He is more chilled about his 90s snark, he often comments on his 90s quotes on Twitter. 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Any early reviews of Backlund vs Koloff from 4/83?

Short answer: I liked it. Well-layered feats of strength counters. Koloff playing savvy. Good last third with an exciting nearfall and good finish. If you like Backlund, and you do, you'll like this one.

54 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Short answer: I liked it. Well-layered feats of strength counters. Koloff playing savvy. Good last third with an exciting nearfall and good finish. If you like Backlund, and you do, you'll like this one.

Cool. Yeah, they had the finish/last minute or so on WWE.com (I think?) at one point years ago and it seemed like the end of a hot match

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

About where I landed too, and Ivan's selling on the finish made Backlund look like a killer.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Is there any sort of resource that lets you cross reference the way the episodes were numbered prior to Peacock with how they are now with just dates?  For instance If I’m trying to find WCCW episodes 25, 26, 28, etc?

not that i know of, the world cast thread has the dates of the shows and episode numbers, so episode 24 should be june 4, 1982.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 8:36 AM, TheDuke said:

I thought with WarGames, NXT was just dropping the tag "Takeover" from their Specials, but I wanted to look up when their next one was, and couldn't find anything. Did NXT cancel having specials completely?

they just announced the next one today, "Stand and Deliver", will be part of Mania week. 

• 3 months later...

The Broken Skull Sessions with Cody Rhodes hit the Peacock Network today.

AEW gets surprisingly more airtime than I ever would have expected - at least a good 20 minutes or so - but of course don't expect anything controversial, but Cody does provide some interesting insights into the balancing act between being a wrestler and being an EVP.