Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Loss

[1980-08-23-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Larry Zbyszko vs Ivan Putski

Shockingly fun Texas Death Match (which appears to be just a No DQ match in WWF world) , Putski is a guy who I never liked before and is pretty much universally considered a turd. Putski has a weird overly muscled body and these tiny T-Rex arms, and can really barely move. Larry Z however puts on a heel masterclass, he is bumping all over the ring for Putski's stump arm punches, and flying into tables and chairs. He is also super nasty on offense, laying into Putski with lightning fast punches and at one point removing the turnbuckle and smashing the back of Ivan's head directly into the ring bolt. This kept moving, kept violent and I loved the cheap foot on the ropes pin to escape with a win. Zbyszko is a guy I really like, and while the Regal matches may be better matches, this would be on his superworker submission reel.

My thoughts on it in the DVDVR secret nomination folder.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

This is a No holds barred Teas Death Match. Holy crap was this a kick ass brawl. I've never heard anyone pimp this match and it's a great brawl. Easily Putski's greatest match ever. I'll give Larry credit because he took an ass kicking. This might have been the hottest I've heard the Philly crowd. Putski's brawling was focused and vicious. This reminded me of a Ronnie Garvin/Tully Blanchard fight. The finish was an eye rake by Larry and feet on the ropes for the 3 for the win. The announcers were awesome at the finish where they go it's no DQ so technically he didn't cheat. High end nomination