Pro Wrestling Only

Most Brutal Instance of "Color"...

Fantastic

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just watched Taker/Brock in the Cell last night as I make my way through post-Attitude PPVs on the Network. That was an absolute all timer. Taker rolls off of Brock after a near fall and the blood quickly drips from his head onto Lesnar's chest. Just a major gusher. Other than Eddy/JBL, how many other matches since then in WWE have gotten that much color?

I actually just watched Taker/Brock in the Cell last night as I make my way through post-Attitude PPVs on the Network. That was an absolute all timer. Taker rolls off of Brock after a near fall and the blood quickly drips from his head onto Lesnar's chest. Just a major gusher. Other than Eddy/JBL, how many other matches since then in WWE have gotten that much color?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember Vince bleeding badly in his Survivor Series match with Undertaker back in 2003.

I forgot just how good that elimination match was (I ended up watching the whole PPV). A lot of interesting personalities in that one, and brilliant performances from Shawn, Orton and Jericho. I wrote a piece about Orton in microscope and watching this match backs up my comments: there was a time when Orton was really, really fresh... sadly, it was over a decade ago. From the time he is walking to the ring checking out Keibler's ass behind Steiners back, to the gut punch stolen victory, he was class.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Cena/JBL I Quit at Judgment Day 05 with a 1 year later callback to JBL/Eddie.

If it's presented in a ring, in a pro wrestling promotion, with two guys doing choreographed moves to a predetermined finish, using pro wrestling training, it's a pro wrestling match. I can get someone not liking it, or even not wanting to ever watch it, or it not being their type of pro wrestling. But I can't get someone saying it's not pro wrestling.

Couldn't you say that about a lot of the other blade jobs getting mentioned? The Eddie JD 2004 one, for example, was basically just the result of a botched blade job following an unprofessionally hard chair shot, and it had a pretty similar outcome to the one I mentioned with Eddie passing out backstage and going to the hospital. You can say that there's a lot of dramatic elements present in the JD 2004 match that you don't see in a deathmatch, but that seems like it would be different thing from what the OP was asking about in just the straight-up most brutal blade jobs ever.

Couldn't you say that about a lot of the other blade jobs getting mentioned? The Eddie JD 2004 one, for example, was basically just the result of a botched blade job following an unprofessionally hard chair shot, and it had a pretty similar outcome to the one I mentioned with Eddie passing out backstage and going to the hospital. You can say that there's a lot of dramatic elements present in the JD 2004 match that you don't see in a deathmatch, but that seems like it would be different thing from what the OP was asking about in just the straight-up most brutal blade jobs ever.

I never said this was solely about blade jobs, rather color on a whole and how the brutality of some notable instances of color, added or took away from their matches or angles.

A recent'ish one back in 2013 which was pretty brutal was when Brock Lesnar collided with a ring hook and gashed his skull in the mini brawl with Triple H. In my opinion, despite that being accidental, the presence of blood streaming down Brock's head as he and Triple H battered each other at the ringside, sold some much needed intensity in his feud (leading into Wrestlemania) with Triple H.

Well yeah. Sure.

But in cases like that, it's ONE element that happens to add to the finished product. It's an ingredient IN the recipe. Not the end result.

Unfortunately, with some of these barnyard death match things, it's the other way around. Bloodshed is no longer the means to ENHANCE excitement. It's the only thing they're gathered to see. That's when it crosses a line.

Them boys ain't selling 'rasslin. They're selling a stabbing.

By the way, that 5:00 minute match between Beulah and Fonzie is more entertaining than anything I've seen on Raw in months. Try to let that sink in for a second.

Everyone needs to hear Heyman's story about that match on Jericho's latest podcast. It's fucking awesome and an amazing example of how wrestling can be the weirdest business. Basically, Fonzie had been caught up as part of the Tod Gordon led attempted talent steal to WCW. Paul had told Fonzie that the match was his send off from the company. Fonzie would lose to Beulah and then he was done with the company. But after the match since Fonzie tapped a gusher and could have "died" to put over the top valet, Paul told him that he wasn't fired anymore. And Paul says that Gonzie knew exactly what he was doing when he hit that gusher and put over Beulah, knowing that there was no way Paul could fire a guy who almost bled to death for his show cause he'd look like an asshole. Totally putting over what a wiley veteran of the business who learned it in Florida with Dusty, Eddie Graham ,and Sullivan would do.

I am not as anti-deathmatch wrestling as others on this board, but I do want to point out that that Nick Gage clip is technically backyard wrestling, as that show was held at a clearing at the house of DJ Hyde's grandparents.

That said, if they started taping Superstars and Main Event at one of Vince's mansions - or better yet - on his yacht, I would watch it religiously every week.

Back to the topic at hand, I would definitely recommend a chapter on wrestlers wearing white to make their blade job Stan out even more. Was thinking the Rockers wearing white tights in that match against Rose and Somers. I think there was an angle in Memphis where Tommy Rich got bloodied up while wearing a white tuxedo as well.