Pro Wrestling Only

Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

Chikara finally ran a show in Columbus. I dropped the $40 for a front row seat. I'm probably going to be on the DVD numerous times due to where I sat for this.

Dasher Hatfield d. Ophidian - good opener. This is what you'd expect from both guys.

El Hijo Del Ice Cream d. Blind Rage - they went into a test of strength that spilled out of the ring and went all over the building and even outside for a couple of minutes. Pretty funny stuff.

Icarus d. Proletariat Boar of Moldova - The Boar and Prakish Sabre stole someone's water at ringside and kept screwing with them for the entire match. This was a good back and forth match. Boar has a good power move arsenal.

Oleg the Usurper d. Ashley Remington - this was the match I was really looking forward to. I wanted to see how Dalton Castle compares with Ashley Remington. My verdict is that Dalton Castle is the better gimmick and that his charisma comes through better in RoH. This was a decent match. I was surprised by the outcome. Oleg did a splash on Ashley right in front of where I was and then jumped on the guy next to me.

Princess Kimberlee d. Jakob Hammermeier - I don't like men vs. women matches but this one was good as far as these go. Jakob kept it lighthearted and Kimberlee can bump well and keep up. Nothing to write home about but the fan interaction was fun.

Eddie Kingston d. Blaster McMassive - I was a little disappointed in this one. Some good bombs got thrown here and it had a nice pace but it ended just as I was getting into it.

Hallowicked, Chuck Taylor and Arik Cannon d. Mr. Touchdown, Heidi Lovelace and Fire Ant - Two great moments in this match. Chuck Taylor ran outside after getting bested in the ring and then scared some girls outside not affiliated with the event. Like one of them literally ran across the little park there. A couple of the venue staff thought this was hilarious. Then later Mr. Touchdown gave Hallowicked a superplex and they kicked this hanging light and the fixture came crashing into the ring with them. This was a fun main event overall.

I thought the show was over at this point but the crowd wanted more so they ran a bonus battle royal. I won't list who was involved here. I did have Farmer Frog laying on me as he was selling being eliminated from it all.

Afterwards I got a Dasher Hatfield shirt. Met Eddie Kingston, Fire Ant and the Boar. I also took a picture of Hallowicked. The only downside to the event is the guy that sat next to me reeked of "I haven't showered in 3 weeks" level of BO. I'm still having flashbacks to the stink. That was actually a theme RoH and Chikara shared. God, fucking shower before going to the show.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also going to repost my Watertown thoughts from Wrestling Forum

FOR THE 2CW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP:
"Hybrid" Sean Carr, 2CW Champion VS. "Chainsaw" Joe Gacy, Challenger

Actually really looking forward to this one. Gacy is kinda getting the short end of the 2CW stick in a way where I think he could have been a real fixture for the company in 2016 like a Sami Callihan was. Gacy is a regular for Xcite Wrestling which operates in Binghamton,NY and is likely to have to fill some of the gap left by 2CW. Happy to see though he's at the very least going to get this opportunity to have a hoot of match with Sean Carr who is fun talent. I would describe Carr as a kid that grew up watching Attitude Era flyers like RVD, Lynn, Hardy Boyz, ect. and had decided to just do that.

SPECIAL ATTRACTION:
John Morrison (Johnny Mundo) VS. Johnny Gargano

Quite frankly I am not high on Gargano right now. I am a fan of Mundo though and he had one of the better matches of the year against Ricochet who is someone I am also not predisposed to enjoying. That at least makes me optimistic about this one and hopefully it delivers past my expectations.

TAG TEAM ATTRACTION:
To Infinity and Beyond (Cheech & Colin Delaney) VS. Oi4k (Dave & Jake Crist)

This should just be a nutty spotfest and I'm all for it.

STIPULATION: TBD - ONE LAST T IME
Watertown's Own Jay Freddie VS. "Juggernaut" Jason Axe

One of the most intense feuds 2CW has run. Scratch that, THE most intense feud they've ever run. In Freddie's hometown on one of the last 2CW shows ever I expect them to bust out all the tricks to make it a memorable last go. Interested to see the gimmick they decide to go with.

SINGLES MATCH:
Pepper Parks VS. Gregory Iron

Not exactly a match I'm thrilled about.

SINGLES MATCH:
"Slyck" Wagner Brown VS. TBD

TAG TEAM ATTRACTION:
Brute VanSlyke & Kevin "The Man" Graham VS. TBD

Michael Christopher Open Challenge !

On night 1 of BOLA I thought it was a mediocre show that was very one dimensional. Now night 2 had variety and is a SOTYC. I've still have got to watch night 3.

That's what I thought about Night 1 and 2 as well. I would rank Night 3 ahead of Night 1, but it was still on the mediocre side of things. The number of reverse ranas on Night 1 was absolutely ridiculous. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and didn't keep an exact count, but I think at least 6 of the 8 matches had a reverse rana spot.

Why's 2CW shutting down? I haven't been to a show in years but they always seemed to pull in decent crowds.

They gave a reasoning on Facebook but whether that is the whole story or not I couldn't tell you. The tl:dr version of that is that they didn't want to have the company go to the point where they would have to close. I mean they are an indie so the money isn't obviously crazy. They've also been going for like ten years.

ICW have been doing a UK tour before their big sold out show in Glasgow next month, so I went to the Nottingham leg last night. It was a lot of fun, really helped by a boisterous crowd, and there were some really good matches along the way. Viper vs Kay Lee Ray was a good opening match, Trent Seven and Jack Jester was really fun, and the main event of Big Damo vs Drew Galloway was excellent, and got really exciting towards the end. If I had to make one complaint, it's that there was maybe one clean finish all night, with two matches going to non-finishes. By the second half, it was getting harder to really get into the matches, as you knew the chances of a clean finish were minimal. Possibly a show that's more fun to experience live than on video, the atmosphere was really integral to it being a good night.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that this means much to most here but I think CNY will be an interesting independent area in 2016. With 2CW leaving there is certainly a gap being left. NEW ran a show last weekend in Aurburn, NY though it was probably just a charity show but the area could be a stop in the tour they do about once a year.

Xcite Wrestling is running a show in Binghamton, NY on 12/4:

- WWE/NXT Superstar Johnny Gargano vs Lucha Underground Superstar Ricochet
- TITLE FOR TITLE Xcite Heavyweight Champion Matt Cross vs CZW Heavyweight Champion Matt Tremont
- LAST MAN STANDING Joe Gacy vs Alex Payne
- LADDER MATCH FOR THE SHOWCASE TITLE Champion Rob Cook vs Draven vs Nick Napoleon
- AR Fox vs Sozio

-Sean Carr © vs. Yusuke Kodama for the 2CW Championship

Now, that has some fun stuff in the way of Cross vs. Tremont and Kodama vs. Carr. They are the company that can really step up to fill a void if they put some real effort into it. Going to be interesting for me in the very least with significantly less shows to attend in my general area next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Chikara doesn't have a ton of supporters on this board, but there attention to detail continues to amaze me. Last night at their season finale, they paid off a 4 year old angle.

In 2011, Eddie Kingston hit Archibald Peck with his Backfist to the Future, and Peck claimed it sent him to 2015 where he acquired a copy of the Chikara Yearbook, which supposedly gave him insight into upcoming matches.

Since then the Archibald Peck character has "died" in Chikara continuity and so far as I know RD Evans has left the business.

Last night at the Chikara show, Mike Quackenbush came to the ring with the first copy of the 2015 Chikara Yearbook, and announced it would soon go on sale. The lights went out, and when they came back on Peck was in the ring, grabbed the book from Quack and after looking at it and reading about his own demise, ran out of the arena, presumably never to be seen again (since he has to go back to 2011)

I know it is silly, and I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but when WWE can't maintain story lines for a month, and they are paying off throw away angles from 4 years ago, I find it impressive.

That yearbook thing sounds unspeakably awful. But I enjoy hating Chikara, so thank you for that bit of affirmation :).

I think Chikara is really dumb and their one show I went to was the worst show I've ever been to, but I will give them credit for maintaining their own universe.
Agreed. They've done an admirable job of building their world and serving their audience. I don't know how their business has been the last few years, but that company certainly feels like one of the notable successes of the 2000s indy boom.

2CW will be live streaming their final show(s) on YouTube for those that won't be there (So everyone here). I believe it'll be free. So far Young Bucks, 2 Cold Scorpio, Eddie Edwards, Sami Callihan, Candice LeRae, and AR Fox+more are confirmed.

The show is actually made up of a first set at 3:30 and a second set at 7PM. So it'll be an all day thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DhF1s1Fsws