Pro Wrestling Only

Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

I open a PWG type promotion in Houston, TX. Which is on pace to past Chicago in market size. I would use a mix of free agents and locals . The locals. would have to have a huge upside. I would assume that I could not use ROH or LU talent. TNA and WWN talent are available for bookings.

I would book Sami Callihan , Tommasso Ciampa , Drew Galloway , Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards , Johnny Gargano , Chuck Taylor , Chris Hero , Mike Bailey and AR Fox from the free agent pool.

I would book a group of regional talent to balance the card. They would be Lance Hoyt , Luke Hawx , Mike Dell , Andy Dalton , Keith Lee and Shane Taylor .

The card would be .

Sami Callihan vs. Tommasso Ciampa

Drew Galloway vs. Luke Hawx

Richards/ Edwards vs. Taylor/ Lee

Johnny Gargano vs. Andy Dalton

Chuck Taylor vs. Mike Dell

Chris Hero vs. Lance Hoyt

Mike Bailey vs. AR Fox

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had the resources to run an indy show within the next six months, what would your card be and what city would you run?

Toronto!

LA Park & Pentagon Jr. vs Mike Bailey & Chris Hero (No Holds Barred)

Kongo Kong vs Sami Callihan

Zack Sabre Jr. vs Scotty O'Shea

Cherry Bomb vs Cheerleader Melissa

Dalton Castle vs TARIK

Luke Gallows & Chase Owens vs Super Smash Brothers

Brent Banks vs Timothy Thatcher

Pepper Parks vs Drew Galloway

Something like that. It would cost a bit of money, but not insane due to using a bunch of local talent.

By the way that Hero/Bailey vs Park/Pentagon match is something I have been wanting to see for a long while now.

I'd have to look to book shows as an on-going concern, as there's enough promotions running in the UK to make a one-off show a hard sell. Especially as a lot of British guys will work each other around the country anyway, you'd need some kind of stories to lure people along. I'd run in Birmingham, in the middle of the country to make it easier to persuade people to travel from all over, and I'd probably allow myself three imports with a bit of buzz to sweeten the deal (in this case, Dalton Castle, Roderick Strong and Pentagon Jr). Probably a 7 match card, looking like:

Rampage Brown vs Pentagon Jr

The Dunne Brothers vs Mark Andrews & Eddie Dennis

Mark Haskins vs Roderick Strong

Zack Sabre Jr vs Jack Starz

Martin Kirby vs Dalton Castle

Drew Galloway vs Joseph Conners

Dave Mastiff vs Tyler Bate

This could go totally different ways based on parameters but, for my own amusement I’ll book it based on the idea that I have nearly unlimited funds and am not worried about making money or running more shows after. So based on what I’ve seen and this is coming from a PWG regular the best crowd going is the Progress crowd at the Electric Ball Room so I’m running in London

In a mini tournament winning teams face off in the main event

War Machine vs Strong BJ

Sumerian Death Squad vs KES

Trevor Lee vs Kenny Omega

Dave Mastiff vs Speedball Mike Bailey

Pentagon Jr vs Jimmy Havoc vs Akira Tozawa

Kongo Kong vs #BigMike Elgin

Will Osprey vs Timothy Thatcher

Strong BJ vs Sumerian Death Squad

• 1 year later...

This thread has been good and dead but I am reviving it because well I like indie wrestling and feel there should be a place to discuss and keep up as multiple promotions have popped up and become players since 2015 including:

• WrestleCircus becoming the premier Texas wrestling promotion now being clearly a step above Inspire as far as drawing and star power
  • Pro Wrestling Revolver being Sami Callihan's vanity project. A mix between big indie names, including BOB HOLLY, and lesser known wrestlers that Sami likes. Plus the rest of the Ohio crew.
  • Glory Pro, headed by #BigMike taking the place of St. Louis Anarchy and taking it up SEVERAL notches. Going to be the platform that puts Curt Stallion on the next level. Has the right people in is corner to be a big name along with Myron Reed.
  • CWF Mid-Atlantic hosts one of the great indie title runs ever with Trevor Lee. Their YouTube show has garnered a ton of praise for those matches and the surrounding booking.
  • Michael Elgin and Sami Callihan have become the two most influential wrestlers in indie wrestling between their individual promotions and showing influence in WrestleCircus and AAW, which is continuing to be on the uptick.
  • Low Ki is in AAW doing good things.
  • Highspots Wrestling Network has gone above and beyond to release footage from top indies like AAW, CZW, and wXw. Their catalog also includes other promotions that likely wouldn't be promoted because of their geographic location like Defy and MLA.
  • PowerbombTV has become Anarchy Wrestling's home and continues to bring in strong partners like Nova Pro and Tier-1.

A bunch of other stuff is going on but these all seem pretty notable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Luchas Bros vs Daga & Tessa Blanchard at the January Bar Wrestling show was the most fun ten minutes spotfest I've seen in a long time. Tessa is crazy good and she worked wonderfully with these guys, I sure hope AEW grabs her whenever she wants to graduate from iMPACT. It's so cool to see these kind of intergender pro-wrestling matches where no one even blinks at the notion of Penta chopping Tessa or Tessa kicking out of Penta's finisher. Both the Lucha Bros & Daga put her over big time after the match too. Pro-wrestling has come a long way from Disco Inferno quitting over doing the job to Jackie in a novelty match.

25 minutes ago, El-P said:

Pro-wrestling has come a long way from Disco Inferno quitting over doing the job to Jackie in a novelty match.

Which was ridiculous of him even then. He was a comedy wimp and she was a tough fighter with a history of inter-gender matches and beating up male wrestlers.

He's at it again with more anti-women's wrestling nonsense, but I won't derail this thread with that stuff.

One day US wrestling will reach the point AAA is at where men, women, minis, and exoticos all fight each other and it's nbd. 

(I'm half sarcastic, half not at the same time. It's always amazed me how the stereotypical macho Mexican culture has way less of an issue with this than anywhere else)

59 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Which was ridiculous of him even then. He was a comedy wimp and she was a tough fighter with a history of inter-gender matches and beating up male wrestlers.

Agreed. Hell, Jackie could probably *actually* beat up a lot of guys in the locker room.

48 minutes ago, sek69 said:

One day US wrestling will reach the point AAA is at where men, women, minis, and exoticos all fight each other and it's nbd. 

(I'm half sarcastic, half not at the same time. It's always amazed me how the stereotypical macho Mexican culture has way less of an issue with this than anywhere else)

Agreed. Sometimes, things are odd like that. Sidebar : the gay wedding law was like a piece of cake in catholic, very much macho Spain, where seemingly no one cared. In much more progressive (on paper) and mostly un-religious (thank god, pun intended) France, it was hell with the resurgence of ultra-right anti-gay demonstrations for weeks and weeks and a huge rise of assault on LGBT people. Go figure...

That Lawler video is cringeworthy on so many levels. (I guess Jackie was too old for him already too...)

The thing is, with most modern day intergender stuff, it's not even an issue. The only thing that is taken into consideration is that the woman's body is usually smaller (I say usually because there are some darwfy motherfuckers on indies these days), so they are treated like Rey would be against a bigger guy (which was always the case). Like I said, Tessa was just treated totally as equal and damn, her work was spectacular.

Haven't Japanese promotions been sort of okay with their handling of intergender matches as well. I mean, not ALL Japanese promotions (I assume), but a while back you'd usually get one match a year where Ishikawa and another one of the Battlarts crew would be involved in an intergender tag. And outside of Ishikawa doing some of his creepy old man shtick it was usually pretty straight. Even the creepy old man shtick led to him getting walloped in the mouth by whichever woman he was leering at so if nothing else it had a decent payoff. Then again I could very well be overselling these matches. 

I recall Kandori being involved in a couple back in the 90s as well. There was one one where she teamed with Kodo Fuyuki against Tenryu and Ultimo Dragon and they certainly played up that she was a badass. She got to work mostly even with Ultimo Dragon and of course she was laying into Tenryu. 

• 2 years later...

Going to try and be more active on this forum with GWE coming up and want to really hone my posting. So of course, bumping a thread that hasn't been used in 2 years. That said, indie wrestling is the part of wrestling that will always have my heart so can't stay away.

Previously with Mania announced and then the slew of indie events announced I felt a sort of grime on me. We are still not out of the pandemic yet and we have not only WWE but these small outfits bringing in crowds to their events. We have two weekends full of indie wrestling events to boot. Somewhere around 20-30 shows between GCW and IWTV. Seems bad!

Apparently, I am bad though as I am starting to get excited for live crowd wrestling, especially for IWTV where I already have the sub. I spend $120 a year on and it is nice that that gets me entry to the biggest weekend in wrestling. And heck, we have some darn good matches booked so far! Listing off some faves:

• Arik Royal vs. Daniel Makabe (SUP/ACTION) - This one got wiped a couple years back because...was this because the Nova Pro promoter was a sex pest? Can't recall, anyway it is finally happen. Arik "The Complete Package" Royal against maybe the best active technical wrestler in the world
  • Violence Is Forever vs. FinJuice (SUP/ACTION) - Weirdly, the two matches I'm looking forward to most this weekend are happening on the same show. Someone is seeing this as MLW vs. Impact but this feels like Indies vs. The Majors. Great style match-up
  • Jon Davis vs. Dom Garinni (ICW) - No entirely sure what to expect here. Hopefully they light each other up

Yeah, I gotta admit I am hyped for the IWTV shows.  I might not even watch Mania live because of the state of Peacock.

On the broader topic of indie wrestling, getting my second shot on the 9th and hopeful to be able to go to the AAW show in early May.  Need some live Mancer.

Is there anywhere comprehensive to check the cards for the IWTV Mania weekend shows? Going to try and check out a bunch... life is too hectic to commit money to the Collective but I already have an IWTV subscription and will gladly enjoy some modern stuff instead of my usual diet of 2002 Jersey All Pro.

11 hours ago, Migs said:

Is there anywhere comprehensive to check the cards for the IWTV Mania weekend shows? Going to try and check out a bunch... life is too hectic to commit money to the Collective but I already have an IWTV subscription and will gladly enjoy some modern stuff instead of my usual diet of 2002 Jersey All Pro.

VOW's list isn't great for IWTV, old faithful Pro Wrestling Ponderings helps out:
https://t.co/xvhNswlcm8

On 3/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Yeah, I gotta admit I am hyped for the IWTV shows.  I might not even watch Mania live because of the state of Peacock.

Peacock was fine for Fastlane - a thousand times better than early WWE Network was with its constant glitches (both WrestleMania and especially NXT Arrival were rough that first year) - so don't skip Mania because of that. Skip it only if you're more excited for these IWTV shows and would rather prioritize those.  

14 hours ago, SirEdger said:

The Voices of Wrestling website has compiled a list of the Wrestlemania Week events so far, including The Collective events:

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/wrestlemania-weekend-2021-full-schedule-map/

Pool Party with Brooke Hogan, Brooke Adams, Layla El, Salina de la Renta & Low-Ki, DJ Set by Nick Hogan.

I am literally speechless.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, C.S. said:

Peacock was fine for Fastlane - a thousand times better than early WWE Network was with its constant glitches (both WrestleMania and especially NXT Arrival were rough that first year) - so don't skip Mania because of that. Skip it only if you're more excited for these IWTV shows and would rather prioritize those.  

It’s not as much worry about performance of the platform as the lack of the library being available.  I haven’t subbed to it yet and will probably just wait until everything is ironed out and available to watch again.

21 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

It’s not as much worry about performance of the platform as the lack of the library being available.  I haven’t subbed to it yet and will probably just wait until everything is ironed out and available to watch again.

Oh yeah, fair enough. But isn't there a special that makes it $2 a month (or something like that) until the archive is complete? WrestleMania for the price of a couple of Whoppers seems like a fair deal - even if the show itself doesn't particularly interest you. 

BTW, if you're an Xfinity cable subscriber (not just internet), you can get Peacock for free.

• 2 weeks later...