Modern Indie Wrestling

concrete1992

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched Cardona vs Gage. For what it is, it was very good, largely due to Cardona generating incredible amounts of heat. With that said its still your typical garbage match, lots of walking around and stalling before somebody gets thrown into something incredibly dangerous, followed by more walking around and stalling. I think the difference here was that while Gage was setting up furniture, Cardona was doing everything he could to draw heat and sell. Cardona's gaga and selling elevated the match past the normal car crash garbage match. It reminded me of when Moxley worked the G1. I was sitting there wondering where was this when he was in WWE? It really makes believe that the over production and over scripting of WWE is deliberately done to keep guys from getting over. Its the only explanation.  

Cardona's performance in the whole angle has been fantastic. Just pushing all the right buttons linguistically and presentationally, building the heat to a fever pitch for the match. An amazing piece of work from both guys, with Cardona taking it pretty far, coming off with just the right balance between tough and chickenshit. Very excited to see where they go with this.

• 1 month later...

In town for AEW, we went to the AAW show last night and it was good, though the main event was a 60 minute draw between Yehi and Josh Alexander, which made the show as a whole a bit on the too long side.  Nothing on the show was terrible, though everything got a bump from it being my first live show since Revolution in February 2020.  Going to the Black Label and GCW shows tomorrow, as well.

12 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

What the heck happened to Combat Zone Wrestling?   They haven't run a show since the pandemic.   Are they done?

I haven't even thought of them in forever, I suppose GCW supplanted them as the indy fed that does wacky shows and deathmatches. 

Following Matt Cardona's run on the indies so far has been a blast. I don't understand how so much of his career was spent as a glorified job guy with a terrible gimmick. If they used him at all, he could have made WWE some money and been good an upper mid card/IC title type role. 

5 hours ago, joeg said:

Following Matt Cardona's run on the indies so far has been a blast. I don't understand how so much of his career was spent as a glorified job guy with a terrible gimmick. If they used him at all, he could have made WWE some money and been good an upper mid card/IC title type role. 

He got over without permission and lessons needed to be learnt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 11:25 PM, gordi said:

Pretty good GCW card on right now. 2 Cold Scorpio v Effy at the moment.

Dickinson vs Fatu and MiSu vs Gresham coming up.

Pretty sweet bridge to carry us from Rampage to G1 Day 1

I thought MiSu-Gresham was good but not quite great. But very excited on the whole for the Suzuki US tour.

12 hours ago, Migs said:

I thought MiSu-Gresham was good but not quite great. But very excited on the whole for the Suzuki US tour.

I agree. My expectations were probably too high there. Honestly, and weirdly, I think Ron Funches might have had the most entertaining match on the show! 

Go out of your way to see Suzuki-Homicide. What a great slice of professional wrestling. Homicide was so important in the early stages of the NY indy scene for bring the Japanese strong style influence and pushing the style away from just flippy stuff and garbage wrestling. To see him, after all these years, get basically his perfect opponent on home soil... special night. 

10 hours ago, El-P said:

Sounds interesting. And what was Matt Cardona's big announcement ? 

He tried to invoke a rematch clause to be added to Mox-Gage, but... there are no rematch clauses in GCW. Led to a match with him and Effy to try to win his way in, which he lost. The whole thing was a terrific bit of business - Cardona plays the whole role so well.

21 hours ago, El-P said:

Funny how he of all people would find a good role in GCW ! Wasn't exactly a given when you think about the first few times he showed up in AEW and even IMPACT, where he totally looked like a guy who had spent way too much time in WWE to ever evolve.

I think it's really impressive self-recognition, actually. He saw that he was this person who had spent forever in WWE and figured out how to distill that, and also found the audience that would respond to that most. 

I mentioned before how I don't get the "hype" for Nick Gage at all and how I have never got anything from watching his matches (granted, few of them and all in the last few years, but still) but I would lie if that did not spike my interest. That's some real good hype job.

Also, I understand that Joey Janela vs Minoru Suzuki is happening. This is the stuff Janela was really good at (the WTF is this happening kinda match) and since he really hasn't been featured in AEW apart from a few bright spots (his tag team with Sonny Kiss followed by a break-up and a really good match / the hardcore match against Omega), I'm quite interested in that one too.

I forgot that one happens too and I'm interested in Suzuki vs anyone... Hey, if I can mark out for two Nick Gage matches (make it three since I really enjoyed the Jericho one) in 2021, that's another case of "WTF is happening this year ?".

I can see the GCW crowd really enjoying that Psycho Clown music theme... B)