Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest of All-Time project Interest?

Grimmas

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suck at ranking wrestlers. I feel much more confident ranking matches. I am more inclined to do a GOAT match list. Maybe we could do these in parallel.

As for me, holes are Lucha Libre,, Joshi, World of Sport, and most shoot-style. After all this 00s Japan watching, I am going to need a looooooooooooooooooong break from puroresu even though I absolutely love it.

Martin,

Once we hit January or so, let's do a mini joshi project or something.

I'm game. I have never watched a Joshi match in my life and really ought to have by now. We can use yearbooks to help us in the 90s and I am sure there is a way to figure out the most famous 80s matches.

Mind if I get in on this? I've never seen a full joshi match. It's my biggest blind spot.

My only stopping point is that I don't feel confident starting til January or at least December, but if you two are okay with that, I'm more than happy to work through it with you guys. We're not always on the same page but we do speak the same language, I think. Charles can be our guide.

Gaps I'd like to fill for a project like this:

European grappling: I've loved what little I've seen but I don't feel even remotely qualified to say who the best workers were. My favorite Euro match so far is Breaks vs Street and it's definitely the best 70s match I've seen. OJ's threads are a constant reminder of how much more I need to watch.

Late 90s RINGS: I've seen everything from 1992-1994 but I've only seen some of the heavily pimped stuff that came later. Volk Han will definitely do well on my list and I like Tamura a lot. I suspect Kohsaka's standing may improve after more watching.

80s WWF wrestling: I watched maybe a dozen 80s WWF matches a long time ago and I didn't like it so I never dug any further. I'm not expecting my mind to be blown but I feel like I need to give that stuff a better chance.

Tons of pre 1980 wrestling: I've seen stuff I liked and stuff I didn't like much at all in this category but I figure if we're doing "all-time" I need to have a better understanding of what's out there. Deciding how much footage is enough to judge a wrestler is hard but I'm flexible depending on the quality.

Otherwise, I feel like the next couple 80s sets will help to fill out my other gaps (Portland, Puerto Rico). I've seen quite a few of the big matches from Crockett though it'd be nice to have a better idea of week to week quality.

• 9 months later...

I'm just wondering if the advent of NWA Classics, which may well provide a tremendous boost to 70s candidates, whether there might be a case for pushing back to Summerslam 2016 just to give us a chance to absorb all the new stuff. Here are some people whose cases might be enchanced by the Houston stuff:

- Terry Funk

- Nick Bockwinkel

- Andre

- Harley Race

- Wahoo McDaniel

- Gino Hernandez

- Dory Funk Jr

- All of the Von Erichs

I fully expect this to be shot down, but I'm putting it out there that "footage" is an issue with some of these guys and ... well, there's going to be a lot more of it released over the next year.

I get the point about it being important that this poll takes place in 2016 as the ten year anniversary of Smark Choice, but is there any reason the deadline has to be WM?

I'm just wondering if the advent of NWA Classics, which may well provide a tremendous boost to 70s candidates, whether there might be a case for pushing back to Summerslam 2016 just to give us a chance to absorb all the new stuff. Here are some people whose cases might be enchanced by the Houston stuff:

- Terry Funk

- Nick Bockwinkel

- Andre

- Harley Race

- Wahoo McDaniel

- Gino Hernandez

- Dory Funk Jr

- All of the Von Erichs

I fully expect this to be shot down, but I'm putting it out there that "footage" is an issue with some of these guys and ... well, there's going to be a lot more of it released over the next year.

I get the point about it being important that this poll takes place in 2016 as the ten year anniversary of Smark Choice, but is there any reason the deadline has to be WM?

WrestleMania, because that is when interest in wrestling is at the highest and the most amount of people will get a ballot in.

I kind of think JVK may have a point here. If the only real reason for the WrestleMania deadline is because that's when the most people will be looking at this board and thus it increases the likelihood of getting more ballots, is that really a good thing?

If these theoretical new eyes from WrestleMania are only just finding out about the project then how are they going to have time to actually watch things to put together a ballot that would be more than just "my 100 favorite wrestlers"?

It's not just that brand new eyes will be on the project, but even regular posters are more involved with wrestling around that time. Anyone who runs a wrestling site will tell you that Mania time is when they get the most traffic, most members viewing the board and posting, as well as the most new members. It's "wrestling season".

Whether that is a good enough reason to make it the deadline if a majority of people want a few extra months, I don't know. I don't mind either way. But it's about more than the theoretical risk of having wwefan4eva come in and deciding to submit a surface-level ballot that we all won't like very much.

If anything, having "wwefan4eva" submit a ballot adds a dimension that the project could end up lacking. We are all knowledgeable and have well thought through opinions on wrestling, but the thought process here and DVDVR can get a little incestuous. I guess it depends what you want this project to be. Is it a top 100 that is representative solely of our tastes? Or is it a top 100 that may have some things that people here might roll their eyes at, but is probably more representative of wrestling fandom as a whole?

I'm not saying that's a good reason to move it from the Mania deadline on it's own. I'm just not sure that the reasoning behind having the deadline at Mania is more valuable than allowing for an extension if the stuff released on the NWA Classics service is really going to have a significant impact on some people's voting.

You could still do a big push for it at Mania time, it's not like there's any reason people couldn't submit a ballot a few months ahead of deadline.

No "Greatest Wrestler Poll" will be accurate to a tee. Isn't the point that it will be an updated list of the one done ten years ago?

Tastes will always evolve, new footage will always be found, and we'll always stumble upon matches that change our opinion of certain guys. There's no reason to push back the deadline. It will be a great representation of the consensus in March/April 2016.

No "Greatest Wrestler Poll" will be accurate to a tee. Isn't the point that it will be an updated list of the one done ten years ago?

Tastes will always evolve, new footage will always be found, and we'll always stumble upon matches that change our opinion of certain guys. There's no reason to push back the deadline. It will be a great representation of the consensus in March/April 2016.

Exactly.

A few weeks when we are close, if people are almost done. However extending for footage seems pointless, as there will always be new footage.

There will always be new footage of Harley Race? Doesn't seem very true to me.

If you mean there will always be new footage of currently active wrestlers sure, but that's less relevent than new footage of Terry Funk or Nick Bockwinkel. A couple of new 30-60 minute classics could be enough to move Bock into some people's top 5s.

However, fine, fine I didn't expect you to extend it, just have my fingers crossed that most of the best stuff is released before April and he doesn't drop a classic in June.