Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest of All-Time project Interest?

Grimmas

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What'd the difference between Hansen/Colon and a lucha apuesta feud? Heck, what's the difference between Puerto Rico and lucha in general?

Don't always have to be different. With the right brawl they can be very similar. But Lucha can give the vibe of being a drunk cirque du soleil, whereas PR feels more like a drunk alley fight. Massive generalization? Yes, no question. Just the vibe that each gives off at times.

The only real difference I can think of is that they bleed more in PR and do more gimmick matches. The styles seem like cousins to me.

What'd the difference between Hansen/Colon and a lucha apuesta feud? Heck, what's the difference between Puerto Rico and lucha in general?

Don't always have to be different. With the right brawl they can be very similar. But Lucha can give the vibe of being a drunk cirque du soleil, whereas PR feels more like a drunk alley fight. Massive generalization? Yes, no question. Just the vibe that each gives off at times.

The only real difference I can think of is that they bleed more in PR and do more gimmick matches. The styles seem like cousins to me.

When they do the brawling I get it. But lucha has more to it than that. Haven't seen much else out of PR so can't comment there.

Lucha brawls come across as choreographed? I actually think Lucha brawls are hands down the most organic looking things in wrestling. I actually don't think any other style is close. I can't imagine watching something like Patera v. Backlund or Valentine v. Backlund and concluding that they were less choreographed in look and feel than a LA Park brawl. Does not compute.

Lucha brawls come across as choreographed? I actually think Lucha brawls are hands down the most organic looking things in wrestling. I actually don't think any other style is close. I can't imagine watching something like Patera v. Backlund or Valentine v. Backlund and concluding that they were less choreographed in look and feel than a LA Park brawl. Does not compute.

I think there's something off in the psychology of working a brawl 2/3 falls. I didn't enjoy the Park stuff I watched much as you know. I'm alright being the outlier with this -- I think the problem is with me rather than the style.

When they do the brawling I get it. But lucha has more to it than that. Haven't seen much else out of PR so can't comment there.

Sticking with the brawling then, since "lucha" is the name for professional wrestling in Mexico and in fact made up of various different styles, I can't really understand how anybody who enjoyed Hansen/Colon so much, or thinks Colon is a guy worth investing more time in, would overlook or ignore the great lucha brawlers.

There are so many awesome lucha brawls just on the 80s set.

MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9.23.83)

Tony Salazar vs. Herodes (3.2.84)

Sangre Chicana vs. Perro Aguayo (Hair vs. Hair) (2.28.86)

La Fiera vs. Babyface (8.15.86)
Arandu vs. Guerrero Negro (1988)

And that's just the stuff that made my top 20! Give me an awesome lucha brawl over an "epic" Misawa match any day.

Sticking with the brawling then, since "lucha" is the name for professional wrestling in Mexico and in fact made up of various different styles, I can't really understand how anybody who enjoyed Hansen/Colon so much, or thinks Colon is a guy worth investing more time in, would overlook or ignore the great lucha brawlers.

That is the plan. I've loved some lucha brawls as much as if not more than the best of Hansen/Colon. Outside of brawling things I've loved in lucha have been few and far between.