Pro Wrestling Only

The Nomination Thread

Grimmas

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find him in the index so I assume he hasn't been nominated, but Chavo Guerrero Jr. should be. I won't vote for him, but he's not an awful candidate to land on the bottom of some ballots here. I'm inclined to believe there are a few here who might vote for him. Of course, I have no clue if there's any reviews on him here.

Hector Guerrero

Hector Guerrero v Jose Lothario (Texas Death Match) (Houston Wrestling, 6/8/84)

This is your 7 quid a month right here. Phenomenally great match. I was pretty much in shock watching it, partly because I never expected it to be THIS good; partly because Hector Guerrero is basically Eddie Guerrero. Seriously, Hector is sooooo like Eddie. It's almost surreal. Early parts of this are a bit like a lucha maestros match with the nifty give-and-take matwork. Hector is playing by the rules, extending his hand in acknowledgement of Lothario's skills, but he has this little grin that tells you he's being disingenuous. Jose has done this dance often enough and knows as much himself. Eventually Hector loses one too many exchanges and turns it into a fight, headbutting his way out of a standing bow and arrow and ramming Jose into the post. Even Hector getting pissed and snapping is reminiscent of Eddie, like in the Smackdown! match against Rey where Eddie finally drops the charade like you knew he would and just brutalizes Rey instead. This service has done wonders for Jose Lothario's rep as a worker (you know, among internet wrestling fans that go crazy for newly discovered 80s footage, which I'm sure means a lot to him). It's pretty clear the guy is one of the best punchers of all time and he throws some absolute CORKERS in this. There's one you can actually hear above the crowd heat and even Boesch on commentary pops for it. Guess who Hector sells the punches like? Fuck, he even hits a gusher like Eddie, bleeding all down his chest after a few seconds like Eddie at Judgment Day (though not as horrifically). Finish and aftermath is so awesome. Hector and Jose have been feuding together up until this point, but Chavo has been off in Japan and came back only to get caught in the middle. Earlier in the show he does an interview with Boesch where he says it's not his fight, but Hector is still his brother and he'll be in his corner. Then he gifts Boesch with a jar of hot sauce, straight out of the Guerrero family kitchen. At the end they do the double KO/"first man back to to his feet wins" bit (seems like a staple in Houston, because that's a few times I've seen it now), but the ref' gets bumped and doesn't see Chavo fire the whole jar of hot sauce right in Lothario's eyes. Boesch is disgusted post-match when Chavo calls Lothario a half-breed and not a true Mexican, then suspends both him and Hector. I imagine this would've made the Mid-South set if it had been available in full. If it had I'd have had it top 10.

The Guerreros v Jose Lothario & Al Madril (Houston Wrestling, 7/20/84)

Nah, fuck it, they're the same person. Somehow they are. It's not just that they look identical - the way they MOVE is identical. This was 1997 chickenshit Eddie Guerrero in 1984, basically. And of all the matches I've watched so far I'd say this is probably the most straight up fun. So, so fun. Edd-- I mean Hector and Chavo are outstanding here; unreal shticking and stooging and it's all done at a rapid pace. Lothario is more or less all punches and old man sympathy selling but my god is he great at both. There's one bit where he takes on both Guerreros with rights and lefts while Hector and Chavo fly around and the crowd are going ballistic. It was amazing. He also hits one uppercut on Hector that is honest to god maybe the best punch I've ever seen thrown in a wrestling match. Finish was executed kind of poorly, but the idea was good and that's usually good enough for me. Absolutely loved this. And will someone give Hector Guerrero the career comp treatment?

They're taken from my blog, but there's a bunch more pimping of him in the NWA Classics thread.

Placing a note here to come back and write up a third review for Animal Hamaguchi at some point (maybe later rather than sooner) so that he can be nominated. There are two already in the yearbooks, so he's just one review short.

Okay, I didn't write a review, but I found a Jeff Bowdren review posted here that might suffice:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/17546-riki-choshu-vs-animal-hamaguchi-njpw-061290

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/17592-riki-choshu-kantaro-hoshino-kuniaki-kobayashi-kensuke-sasaki-shiro-koshinaka-vs-animal-hamaguchi-super-strong-machine-tarzan-goto-hiro-saito-masanobu-kurisu-njpw-062690

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/6194-jeff-bowdrens-top-matches-of-the-80s-list

(Jeff Bowdren's review is buried in the middle of Bix's OP.)

Seiji Sakaguchi

Based on Parties consideration and he has plenty of reviews in 80s forum.

Gary Young

Another Parties consideration that hasn't been nominated yet. I don't know about reviews. I think he has some in the 80s forum.

I'm starting to look around to see who's been suggested as potential nominees by others and going ahead and nominating them. It's best that we get as many nominees as possible. If there's anybody that anyone is considering go ahead and nominate them.

Chris Colt

Ricky Santana vs. Chris Colt (7/26/86)

YAY CHRIS COLT SAVES THE DAY!!!!!!!!! Colt is wearing tape around his midsection selling some injured ribs. We get more of Colt vs. Sandy Barr and Colt vs. Grandma in the front row which is AWESOME....This match is fun as hell as you get some fun action but it's Colt's performance that puts it over the top.

Tama Samoa vs. Chris Colt (8/2/86)

Holy shit Colt is talking mad shit before the match to Tama, the fans, Sandy Barr and gets dropkicked from the apron to the floor which was great. Colt gets more offense in here than he did against Santana and he talks way more shit pissing the fans off. Tama going across the ring under the ring to dropkick Colt from behind to the floor was great. Colt then got to walk around the ring and jaw with grandma which was fun. Colt's non chalant cheating here is fantastic as he doesn't give a shit about what Sandy Barr thinks. Tama wins with a sunset flip with Colt making a great face on the way down. Again this was way more fun than it should've been thanks to Colt.

Loser Leaves Town: "Wildcat" Wendell Cooley vs. Chris Von Colt (3/2/87)

Colt uses his craftiness again here using a chain at times but Cooley dominates most of this match and sends him packing with a bulldog headlock. Colt though is so good at doing what he does that you are just mesmerized by everything he does.

I've been looking over the nomination index and I don't see Kana on there (could just be missing it). I'd assumed with her recent NXT stuff she'd have forced her way onto someone's ballot or, at least, into consideration.

Meltzer's "may be the best worker in WWE, man or woman" line has got to carry some weight, surely.

There're plenty of rated matches with her in this post, but I'm struggling to find full write-ups. I'll have to find time to do it myself if there aren't any/enough.

Nominating Chris Hamrick. Here are the reviews.

Chris Hamrick v. Nick Nitro 3/31/12 Milestone Wrestling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b1GWcLRzhs

This is not without flaws as Nitro is pretty bad, but this was a pretty awesome "Greatest Hits" Chris Hamrick match. We get the Hamrick/Fuerza bump, the fake injury in match leading to ambush superkick heel turn, the nasty looking chops and punches, the crazy suplex/neckbreaker spots, the trolling of the crowd with dive and crowd brawling teases, the big crotch bump in the corner, et. He also does his reverse Boston Crab/stretch submission and transitions right into a camel clutch where he asks the ref to to ask Nitro to quit only to cover his mouth to keep him from answering which was pretty great. A couple of good cut off spots too. Finish felt pretty telegraphed but it was inevitable and the post-match with Hamrick crushing he poor kid with a diving piledriver from the second rope was awesome

Chris Hamrick/Gunner/Team Ego v. Myric Moore/Mike McCloud/Derek Driver/Kid Kaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybzx0pV4Rs

No one will like this as much as me, but I'm a big mark for multi-men matches like this. This one me over when a few of the heels took massive back body drop bumps. In fact the entire face shine was pretty great. Gunner didn't look like anything special here though he did almost kill someone with a suplex. Team Ego had some fun double teams. Fucking Chris Hamrick looked like god on earth here and it pisses me off to no end that he almost never makes tape. The guy comes in for a couple seconds and lights dudes up with punches and then ties them up in pretzels like its nothing. I would have preferred he work FIP but it ended up being one of the Team Ego guys. I expected this to collapse then, but the cut off the ring stuff and hope spots worked well and I ended up liking the second half of this a good bit too. Fun match.

These are from EricR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3cn5zMZf80

Chris Hamrick is still as good as Chris Hamrick, btw. This is a match against Reid Flair (who has a nice right hand, but seems lost in between spots) and it's Hamrick being Hamrick. He throws awesome uppercuts, he makes fun of the crowd for being rubes, he set up a suicide (harhar) dive but just jumped to the floor and did an eyepoke, he took Flair's head off with a superkick, he made a bunch of people get out of their chairs to through Flair through them only to throw him back into the ring, and he looked fucking awesome. He's Chris Hamrick. He failed at suicide but succeeds at wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y19dc4t2xs

This one is just clips, but there are 7 minutes of clips so you get a good feel for how he looks. This is against some guy named Jeff Lewis Neal who looks like a cross between Mike Modest and Skip Sheffield, and wrestles like you would imagine a modern Renegade working. But Hamrick owns this. He fakes an injury that I totally suckered into. He went for a springboard and Lewis hit an RKO, and then Hamrick stiffened up as if he had serious neck damage. Hamrick is a guy who I buy having serious neck damage. The ref and Hamrick's manager help him to his feet and it takes like 2 minutes, and as Lewis gets the crowd to root Hamrick on, Hamrick blasts him with a superkick. I'm a sucker, I thought Hamrick was really hurt. His selling was great, and then afterwards him mocking people for having sympathy for him. I love Chris Hamrick.

I've been looking over the nomination index and I don't see Kana on there (could just be missing it). I'd assumed with her recent NXT stuff she'd have forced her way onto someone's ballot or, at least, into consideration.

Meltzer's "may be the best worker in WWE, man or woman" line has got to carry some weight, surely.

There're plenty of rated matches with her in this post, but I'm struggling to find full write-ups. I'll have to find time to do it myself if there aren't any/enough.

Match Reviews for Kana:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/33103-kana-konami-vs-syuri-hikaru-shida-kana-pro-38/

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/32740-emma-vs-asuka-wwe-nxt-1216-takeover-london/

and this nxt review has a recap of that battle royal she was in last week

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/01/13/wwe-nxt-jan-13/

Nominating Pequeño Pierroth

Mascarita Dorada/Astral/Ultimo Dragoncito vs Demus 3:16/Pequeño Pierroth/Pequeño Black Warrior, CMLL 8/13/10

Some nice mat work at the beginning could have put this over the top but I still can't complain. Wrestling these days is full of flashy offense but rarely is it done this well. The tecnicos supply some jaw dropping aerial maneuvers and your rudo team features two of the best bases, if not the best in wrestling today. There are a lot of cool heels and cool rudos out there so it's great to see rudos who will make real asses of themselves. When it comes time to cut them off the tecnicos also do a great job of getting tossed around. This had a great rhythm, some great overlap between falls, and I think everyone's control segments lasted the perfect amount of time. When it comes down to it, this is a match I could see myself watching over and over again.

Pequeño Pierroth vs. Demus 3:16, CMLL 8/2

This came pretty close to being my MOTY for 2010 that's mostly based upon the third fall which features some truly transcendent wrestling. The story of two mini rudos giving it all for a shot at the normal sized division is unique and it's the two best modern minis (with Pierrithcito being my favorite mini of the last few years). The transition from chops to punches as this gets more intense is perfect. The biggest flaw of this match is that like most modern CMLL it suffers from short opening falls.

Minis Cibernetico 8/17/10

Thank god Demus won the Bicentenario. Demus is awesome and all but Pierrothito is one of my favorite guys to watch over the last few years and I don't know if I'd care about the CMLL minis quite as much without him. This is a showcase for Pierrothito but also features some really spectacular mini high flying. Pierrothito matches up well with Bam Bam for the last stretch.