The Nomination Thread

Grimmas

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gran Apache reviews via WKO

From Exposer:

Gran Apache/Trauma I/Mari Apache vs. Negro Navarro/Trauma II/Fabi Apache - IWRG 04/09/12 - YES
This was highly entertaining. Old fart fighting his sons. Old fart fighting his daughters. The Apache ladies were vicious here and I loved the exchanges between TI and Navarro. It was fun when Gran Apache got in there with Fabi too. I do wish the camera caught the misdirection spot. All in all, this was a lot of fun and just fucking hilarious and great at the same time.

From Phil:

Daga, Fenix, Gran Apache vs Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro AAA 2/23/12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxHnxzEa2E

Awesome spotfest lucha. We get some really slick Apache v. 911 matwork before it all goes bonkers. Oficiales take 50 crazy bumps, Daga forearms and kicks people really hard, Apache throws lefts, Fenix breaks out flippy dives. Realy fun WCWSN lucha

Several other Gran Apache matches discussed here:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/wrestling_ko/ar/t4269.htm

Nominating with reviews:

John Bradshaw Layfield

vs. Eddie Guerrero: Judgment Day 2004 - Hard hitting and bloody brawl, with Eddie giving one of his career performances and Bradshaw showing more than he ever had. The champion shows incredible heart while the challenger inflicts massive damage on him with strong fury. Killer brawl, and a career best performance from JBL up until this point.

vs. Rey Mysterio: Judgment Day 2006 - Rey does a super job as the struggling babyface at the mercy of the powerful Bradshaw. JBL does a basic job of grounding Rey, with Rey busting into life at certain times. As far as heel performances go this was a masterful showing from Bradshaw. He's such a bully. Strong stuff here.

vs. Finlay: WrestleMania XXIV - Sweet brawl between these two which is fun from start to finish. Finlay can brawl with the best of them and Bradshaw shows his decent skills in this setting really well. Good brawl.

Nominating:

Mil Mascaras

vs. The Destroyer: AJPW (10/9/73) - Solid work in all of this. Mil is nifty playing on the mat with Destroyer, and gets rather snapy when he gets out-countered. Good body work and simple and smart wrestling. Nice quality match.

vs. The Destroyer: AJPW (7/25/74) - Superb battle in the rematch which shows that these two clicked well in the first outing. Mil does a lot of cool lucha based mat work with Beyer adding nice little touches. For me this is a top three match for All Japan in '74.

vs. Jumbo Tsuruta: AJPW (8/25/77) - Mil looks very smooth twisting Jumbo into all sorts of shapes, which is one of the performances of his I've enjoyed the most. Very good effort and Jumbo looks fine as usual. This match sucked me in straight away, which speaks strongly for it.

I've seen Trauma II nominated. I might like II better too, but Trauma I has been consistently great for more than five years now.

So, Trauma I:

Mike Segura/Trauma I/Trauma II v. Black Lancer/Carta Brava Jr./Dr. Cerebro 1/1/11

As a rule I seem to like these IWRG sprints more than almost anyone else so it doesn't surprise me that I liked this more than almost anyone else. Thought everyone looked really good but I actually thought the standout was Suicida. He just seems to excel in these short matches as he gets good height on his big bumps and always hits his big spots in a super explosive fashion. He's my favorite big spot guy in wrestling aside from Freelance in large part because of that. Traumas hit their double stomp of doom, Cerebro was a beast on the mat, Trauma I took a sick face plant bump on the apron off of a teased dive, Suicida's dive at the end rules and I actually thought the Trauma II sub at the end looked fucking awesome.

Black Terry/Negro Navarro vs Trauma I/Trauma II, UWE 8/27/11

I need to watch this again but right now I'd say this is a match of the year candidate. I was expecting Navarro and TI to have a couple of friendly mat exchanges, so was completely blown away when TI almost KO'd his father with a slap. Navarro then attempting to rip TI's arm off was just amazing to watch. Navarro's one scary dude when he's pissed off. Black Terry/TII stuff was also really great. Their matwork didn't have a lot of counters but was still intense and their later exchange was fairly complex yet didn't look planned. Navarro's back in the top 5!!

Black Terry/El Hijo Del Pirata Morgan/Skyde v. Negro Navarro/Trauma 1/Trauma 2 Arena Neza 1/1

We start off 2012 with a corker of maestro lucha match. I always enjoy when Black Terry hits the mat like this and he and T2 have a couple of really fun exchanges. Some really cool leglock exchanges by both guys. The highlight of the first fall was watching Navarro and Skyde totally rip the new year apart. Navarro looked like he had an entire batch of cool shit he had never used with Solar before and Skyde had his a bunch of stuff he wanted to try out too. Awesome stuff and I would love if Skyde was added to the touring maestro mix. He was also really great when he moved into the rana and armdrag section of the match. Second and third falls were a bit perfunctory, and El Hijo Del Pirata is a little out of his league, which kept this from truly legendary status, but a great way to begin the new year.