Pro Wrestling Only

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

Grimmas

I LOVE THE HAMMER!!!!! Nobody was better in the 80s WWF midcard in getting a guy out of his comfort zone and making a match interesting. He worked such a different style than everyone else in WWF at the time and at the very least it led to unique matches for his opponent.

This is a list of must-see matches after he lost the IC Title:

The Dream Team vs Tito Santana & Ricky Steamboat - MLG 4/85
WWF World Tag Team Champions US Express vs Dream Team - MSG 9/85
WWF World Tag Team Champions Dream Team vs British Bulldogs - Wrestlemania II
WWF World Tag Team Champions British Bulldogs vs Dream Team - SNME 10/86
Survivor Series '87
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs Tito Santana - MSG 11/88
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs Blue Blazer - Boston 4/89
The New Dream Team vs The Rockers - 6/89
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin - MLG 10/89
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin - Royal Rumble '90

• 9 months later...

Valentine was really really great when he made tape from 83 onwards. There is an issue with a lack of footage and no tape of his real prime (except maybe vs Backlund). The stuff we do have is enough to easily make my list and do well on it. I'd have him above DiBiase.

The Hammer didn't make my Smarkschoice 100. He will easily make my new 100. Him and Ron Garvin will probably be side by side now that I think of it.

Valentine v. Garvin is a really interesting comp. For great feuds what do you value more the Flair v. Garvin feud or Valentine v. Tito?

Valentine vs. Tito is the better feud. Garvin vs. Flair may have the better matches overall, match for match.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Valentine has really blown up as a great worker over the years. He's emerged as Backlund's best opponent. Great feud with Piper. His Flair matches are tremendous. Fun matches with Pedro. The crown jewel is his feud with Tito. A good house show run with the Blue Blazer. A lot of good matches with Ronnie Garvin. The Dream Team produced tons of good matches with the Bulldogs. A guy with great story telling and snug work.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a Tito-Greg comp. PM me for details.

1. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (Spectrum 3/31/1984)
2. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (Spectrum 5/5/1984)
3. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (MSG 6/16/1984)
4. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (MSG 8/25/1984)
5. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (Title Change) (MLG 9/24/1984)
6. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (MSG 10/22/1984)
7. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (MSG 11/26/1984)
8. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (MSG 1/21/1985)
9. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship (MSG 3/17/1985)
10. Ricky Steamboat & Tito Santana vs. Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine (Prime Time Wrestling 4/21/1985)
11. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine - WWF Intercontinental Championship - Steel Cage Match (Baltimore 7/6/1985)
12. Tito Santana vs. Greg Valentine (MSG 11/26/1988)

• 6 months later...

Valentine is a shoo in. One of the most impressive guys as I slowly discovered the 80s.

I am super high on the Piper Dog Collar match, like Top 5 match of the 80s high. There's also the amazing Garvin match from 1989. Plus really good matches with Backlund, Tito, Flair, and tag matches vs the Bulldogs and that crazy Steamboat/Santana match. He's so very manly, stiff as hell and really knows how to rumble.

• 5 years later...

A thing I'm interested in for 2026 is seeing if there is any good Greg Valentine indie stuff. His 80s stuff is great and the bulk of his case, anybody who can get a good match out of Jay Strongbow in the era that Valentine did is nothing short of miracle worker. He's so great in that period, that I'm surprised that pretty much from 1992, and I think that might be generous, there isn't anything of note, even though he kept working for another 15 years in some capacity. 

9 minutes ago, Reel said:

I'm tempted to say it might be better than the starrcade match, a legit hidden gem. 

That was my immediate reaction when I first saw it. A second viewing has not discouraged this view. I think this just emphasizes the elite level Valentine was at during his peak.

• 3 weeks later...

I ranked Greg Valentine 54th in 2016 and I feel pretty good about that. Honestly Greg might belong like 20 spots higher. At his best he was really great. He might have the best feud in WWF history (vs Tito) and JCP history (vs Piper). Managed to make a team with Brutus Beefcake not only work but be actively good. Great offensive wrestler. Everything Greg did looked great. But he was also an awesome seller. He's someone I thought was really dull as a kid but as an adult he's a damn near perfect wrestler. 

I had the Hammer at number 63 in 2016 and I'm happy enough with that. That said, while we haven't had a TON of new Valentine footage over the last five years, some of what we've gotten has been amazing and could probably bump him a few spaces. The Piper feud is just incredible and the July '83 match is a legit classic to add to his resume. I've also re-watched the Starrcade match since the last poll and its gone from a top 50 match in US history to a top 10 match in US history so that as well might bump him up. The Slater cage match is a cool look at him as a babyface (and another great match into the bargain). None of the singles matches against babyface Flair from 1980 have blown me away, but there's a tag match with Valentine and Hussein Arab/Iron Sheik against Flair and Angelo Mosca from Toronto that's completely fucking awesome (though Flair was the star of it). Obviously the Tito feud is outstanding. Him and Wahoo shredding each other to bits is everything I could've hoped for from reading DEAN gush about it in the old DVDVRs. Awesome mid-80s WWF tag wrestler and made Brutus Beefcake sort of compelling for a while there. Surly as the surliest bastard you've ever seen, strong hold worker, has the elite matches to his name...the Hammer ruled. 

GREG VALENTINE YOU SHOULD WATCH

v Bob Backlund (WWWF, 2/19/79)

v Roddy Piper (JCP, 7/9/83)

v Roddy Piper (JCP Starrcade, 11/24/83)

v Dick Slater (JCP Boogie Jam, 3/17/84)

v Tito Santana (WWF, 1/21/85)