Pro Wrestling Only

"The Great Muta" Keiji Muto

Grimmas

31 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

Muto is someone I plan to a deeper dive on because he definitely seems like a controversial pick. From the little I've seen, wrestling as himself he could be great but as Muta he relied too much on the gimmick and charisma. And while I haven't seen any of the matches, his current run as NOAH champ has been super polarizing.

So you're saying he should've been Muta full time? I agree :)

• 7 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 11:14 PM, elliott said:

Anyone gonna go to bat for Muto?

I will. Eventually. Been going through quite a bit of NJPW 90's, and with the hindsight of what's coming up later in his career which I intend to revisit too (meaning mostly his AJ/interpromotional stuff, as I've seen most of the later NJPW Tanahashi era matches not long ago), including him still having some compelling performances at past 58 years old in NOAH, there's no way he's not going in. A wrestler with just way too many genius ideas and instinct, maybe too conceptual for his own good sometimes, but I'm big on creativity and pushing things forward. And sometimes I'm just in awe on what he's coming up with, and I realize I was SO wrong on some of his stuff before (the two Takada matches for instance). Wizard is not a gimmick, it's a fact.

• 1 month later...

Impossible for Muto to not have a spot in the middle of my personal top 100. Wasn't the biggest fan of him in his prime as I thought he sometimes had too much to do in the ring and not enough to actually hone in on in particular: he has some nice matches here and there but there's definitely a sense that he's doing a lot but not really at the same time: he does a lot of leg work to really no real endgame and tends to be pretty meh outside of his usual big spots and agility. Starting early 2000's, he finally GETS it. Hones in on the leg work, slows himself down to big sequences rather than just the whole match of him flinging himself around, but makes sure to innovate when it matters. He's had his fair share of omega bleh matches but Big Match Muto is incredible, a true innovative icon who truly reinvented the big match structure. I think people tend to credit guys like Marufuji and KENTA a bit too much when it comes to stuff like that when I think Muto was equal in influence, if not more, by his over the top, flashy style and presentation. You see it a lot in the generations who come after him.

I was probably one of the few people who thought his 2021 NOAH title stint was good tbh, so maybe that's just me being bias lol. Get Muto to slow down a bit and he can really tell a story, and seeing him at the very end of his tether having to drag wins from younger, hungrier talent with just his experience and wit alone is very gripping stuff, despite his obvious limitations. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a Mutoh denier for over a decade but I do like the late 80s/early 90s WCW run (plus he was pretty great in the G-1 Vader match), so it's not impossible there are more spurts of his career that win me over. A decent sized match list of post-91 Mutoh would be cool if someone wants to make the case for him.

I don't really like the term "lazy" but he seemed unmotivated at the strangest of times. I think it was the Hashimoto match in April of 95 where he missed a moonsault and just....laid there on his stomach...looking around? Like he wasn't selling stomach or even making a grimacing face, he just did the wrestling version of starfishing in bed. It was weird, and I remember going through the 92 and 93 yearbooks years ago and seeing similar things. 

• 4 months later...

As of recently, I would also suggest watching his first Retirement Series match with Kiyomiya. Even if his 2021 style is extremely polarising, I think most can agree that Muto uses incredibly strong storytelling that he didn't really have at that level in his prime to enhance his ring quality WAY more than it should be for a 60 year old wrestling. Kaito is fantastic in his own right, but Muto definitely deserves his flowers in that match as well given how well they work together.

• 6 months later...

Reading this thread, Muto seems as divisive as ever. I love the guy.

Bad first - there are plenty letdowns, particularly in the late 90s. 

Right then with that out the way, as a mega charismatic dude working within his limits, knowing when to hit his big spots and mugging it up he's S-tier. I’d rate his greatest hits very very highly. Some great matches in the 90s, some great spectacles as Muta, and his 00s reinvention was fabulous. He really understood his physical limitations and was able to build around them and let his star presence shine through.

A match that never gets much pro-wrestling love (pun intended) is his 2007 TC match vs Minoru Suzuki. It's on GAORA's YT channel now. Well worth the time.