Pro Wrestling Only

Vader

Grimmas

Vader was my number 41 in 2016 and I'd guess he'll be about there again next time. He was my highest ranked superheavyweight and I wouldn't imagine that'll change either. I suppose his peak was relatively short, but it was a hell of a peak and he was good for lot longer than those 3-4 years anyway. Obviously one of the greatest bulldozers ever, and while some are down on the bumping, even if he maybe did go overboard at times I'm very rarely bothered by it. 

VADER YOU SHOULD WATCH:

v Shinya Hashimoto (New Japan, 4/24/89)

v Keiji Mutoh (New Japan, 8/10/91)

v Sting (WCW Starrcade, 12/28/92)

v Sting (WCW Superbrawl, 2/21/93)

v Kiyoshi Tamura (UWFi, 6/10/94)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking a little closer at the 2016 results, Vader finished 14th and didn't get a #1 vote and only one #2 vote. His average vote was 26. But Vader tied Ric Flair & Terry Funk by appearing on the most ballots at 148. I think this tracks with the general discussion I've seen of Vader over the last 20+ years.  You'll rarely find anyone who puts Vader at the absolute top, but he's never too far from it and everyone loves it. 

I was wondering what younger hardcore fans think of Vader? Folks that grew up watching Daniel Bryan and modern NJPW. I can imagine folks like that watching Flair or Terry Funk & not really liking them, but I can't really comprehend someone watching prime Vader and not enjoying him. During his career he was able to transcend stylistic differences and get over in a major way basically everywhere he worked. I wonder if he's someone that will be able to transcend time as well? 

I'm one of those fans, actually, and yeah I love Vader. Not my favourite big man (Hansen exists) but pretty close. He'll probably make my top 30, surely top 50. The shoot stuff was a great reinforcement of his case, he was able to adapt to the ringwork there while retaining his overall style and aura. I love the "subtle versatility" he has, specially for a monster powerhouse.

PS: and I LOVE Flair and specially Terry, too :)

In 2016, we talked a lot about how Vader brought a different kind of versatility. He didn't adapt hugely as he jumped from one promotion or opponent to another, but you could build immensely entertaining stuff around him in any environment. That's still how I view him. He's a highly rewatchable action movie, and I'd rather spend a random evening with him than with most of those who'll beat him on the list. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 2:17 AM, elliott said:

I was wondering what younger hardcore fans think of Vader? Folks that grew up watching Daniel Bryan and modern NJPW. I can imagine folks like that watching Flair or Terry Funk & not really liking them, but I can't really comprehend someone watching prime Vader and not enjoying him. During his career he was able to transcend stylistic differences and get over in a major way basically everywhere he worked. I wonder if he's someone that will be able to transcend time as well? 

I like all 3!

53 minutes ago, Clayton Jones said:

Is there anything in AWA other than VS Hansen or in CWA other than VS Wanz worth seeking out? I'm realizing after Elliott's post and after thinking more about the scope of his career I might actually be underrating Vader with him just outside of my top 10 currently.

His match against Fujinami in CWA was a thing of beauty.