Pro Wrestling Only

Blue Panther

Grimmas

Panther is the definition of a guy that is just enjoyable to watch regardless of the setting. He's so damn good on the mat and works smart way more often than he doesn't. He's been consistently great for quite some time. I think I can find room for him on my list even though I haven't watched as much of him as others have, but it's gonna be close.

• 5 years later...

Panther got way underrated in my opinion in the last go round, don't think there's been anything too special since 2016 and quite frankly the odds of anything too special in the next 5 years is low (depending on how excited you are about a Satánico singles match in 2021 which we are set to get soon) but he's one of the only guys in modern CMLL, letalone old guys to not phone it in on every 3rd match trios match and tries to make it stand out not just for him, but his sons and at times his opponents as well.

I rate him as a strong singles worker, with multiple matches of his making my top 50 of the year in years 1990-1995 & as high as #2 with him vs. Atlantis in 1991. Him vs. Santito were MOTYCs in the early 2000s. Had a MOTYC vs. Villano V (!?) In 2008. Lucha MOTYC vs. Averno as late as 2012. I think it's tough to beat him in terms of a fuller career, although criticism last go round was to him as a Rudo which I will concede that he wasn't the most bombastic personality in that role. That said if you put a gun to my head and had the ultimate random match generator and said "you must pick one wrestler and get something enjoyable out of this guy's career" then fuck if he wouldn't be one of my first picks. A vast majority of his matches I've seen, which is a lot, have been good or at least fun to this day. That to me is an all time great and I'll be voting him in or around my top 10 again, almost certain of it.

I'm a lot higher on Panther than I was last time around after watching all of his early 00s stuff. I have a specific expectation for the type of Blue Panther match I want to see (Panther vs. Atlantis, some of the Santo matches), but unfortunately you don't get to see those types of matches very often because of the way lucha is booked, and the reality that the style of wrestling I like was more prevalent prior to lucha making tape. Watching his early 00s stuff, I was able to enjoy him on talent alone even when he wasn't being featured very prominently. That's one thing that's tough to swallow about lucha. Chad alluded to it the other day with Casas. When guys aren't being used, or they've  had a main event run and are being dropped back down the card to make way for someone else, they get thrown into random trios matches and given little to do. Sometimes their talent shines through in random trios matches, or if you're lucky you get to see them working programs in other lucha territories, but it's a bugger when you see guys like Panther being under-utilized. 

One thing I do want to say about Panther as a candidate, and this is true for other candidates as well, is that I think he benefits from people pretty much only watching his most well known stuff. Now I could be wrong about that, but I have a feeling that not everyone sits through countless hours of meaningless lucha (which believe me, you shouldn't), but I think like it's easier for a candidate like Panther to stand out and criticisms to seem off base. Lucha candidates need a boost, but I think they should be held to the same standards as everyone else. 

Lastly, and this is a reach, if anybody has AWS Major Styles Clash lying around in a box somewhere, I have always hoped Panther vs. Dos Caras would magically appear on the internet some day. 

Glad people enjoyed it. I've sent out an e-mail to the owner of AWS to source the other shows. 

I also came across this today. Looks cool - does anyone have it? Channel has highlights of a Dandy/Satanico hair match from 1988, too. Now that's something I'd pay good money for.

I rated Blue Panther 44th in 2016 and I fucking blew that one. Panther should be challenging for the top 20. I don't know that I've ever seen a bad Blue Panther match. Everyone knows hes a great technical wrestler, but hes great in brawls too. And trios. And hes got longevity. Hes become an underrated Santo opponent. Those matches are incredible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had Panther at number 37 in 2016 and I'm actually okay with that, though I could just as easily see him hitting the top 30 next time. One thing I've done more of since the last poll - not for the purposes of the next GWE or anything - is watch way more random week-to-week type lucha, like your 14-minute inconsequential trios matches from a down year that nobody has written anything about. Doing that for 2000 you get to see things like Panther going absolutely crazy and brutalising Olimpico and guzzling his blood like a vampire, which isn't the sort of thing I really associated with rudo Panther before. I actually kind of agree with a couple of the points made about him not necessarily popping off the screen when he's the third guy in a trios unit, but I've seen enough Panther over a long enough period for me to be pretty content to watch him in just about any setting regardless. The Casas hair match from 2012 isn't a 1992 apuesta, so there's no blood and the brawling is different, but it might be the match of the decade and I couldn't have asked for much more out of a modern wagers match. He has great work over four decades, he's pretty undeniable. 

BLUE PANTHER YOU SHOULD WATCH:

v Atlantis (CMLL, 8/9/91)

w/Rencor Latino v Olimpico & Mr. Niebla (CMLL, 2/1/00)

v El Hijo del Santo (Monterrey, 4/9/00)

v Negro Casas (CMLL, 3/2/12)

v Villano V (CMLL, 9/19/08)

• 7 months later...

I see I already posted in this thread. My feelings on Panther haven't changed much in five years, so this is gonna be a repeat, but I don't see him as an allaround worker. To me he was an outstanding technician (more through holds than through overall application of offense) who was great in matches that required that from him. He did brawl, bump, do some comedy, run the ropes, and do all the other stuff rudos do, but I don't know how well he really did those things on a consistent basis. For a guy with a feline name in a country where so many of the wrestlers move like cats, he wasn't very graceful on his feet. His brawling could look weak, and there was something about the way he carried himself as a rudo. It always seemed to me like acting, as opposed to naturals like Pierroth, Fuerza, or even my main man Satanico. A lot of his transitions were really lazy. Most of all what I don't like is his selling. He's not good at it. Look at this. I get that he's going for an over the top rudo sell there, but it's a delicate line between comical and farcical, and he straight up did a cannonball over to the latter side. Here, in a heated brawl, he sells a simple strike like a zap from the Mountie. I'm not trying to make this like a court case with exhibits A through C, but I don't want it to seem like I'm making this shit up either. I often get the impression that he knows what great rudos do and when they do it, but I end up not liking how he tries to do those things.

He finished 69th last time with a high vote of 7. A 7 vote is too high IMO, but I get it. Although I don't see him as one of the true all-timers, he did have a genuine gift on the mat, and he had an outstanding career, so I do think on the whole that he was a great worker. It's just that I can overlook a worker's flaws if they have enough excellent performances to make the knocks on them seem like small potatoes, like with Atlantis. With Panther, his flaws very often did limit how much I could enjoy his matches, and even with the long career he doesn't have an exhaustive list of great matches or performances for me personally.

Some Panther:
BP and Guerrero Negro vs Huracan Sevilla and Gran Hamada
BP, Fuerza Guerrera and Fishman vs Mariachi, Mexicano, and Charro de Jalisco
BP, Fuerza Guerrera and Jerry Estrada vs Super Astro, Volador and Transformer

@cad

How high were you on the Astro/Panther match? After going through your post, and Panther looking like the lucha HBK, I'd be interested to see how you found it. That was the real head-scratcher for me. It was poorly executed overselling with bad comedic elements to it. I think that's the match I have the biggest disconnect with anyone, frankly.

@cad To me, the big deal with Panther, which has both pros and cons depending on how you look at it, is that he was built up a certain way by people who were there in the 90s and early 00s and he's actually a different wrestler than advertised: much, much broader, but maybe not quite as deep.

18 hours ago, Rah said:

How high were you on the Astro/Panther match?

It's not a match where I can recall much about it. I remember thinking it was good but not great, but not one I'd make arguments about one way or the other. Haven't seen it in years.

I'm sure you've watched enough Panther to know that his selling wasn't like that 100% of the time. I don't think that was something he did well, and I needed to illustrate that in as few links as possible, so I chose ones that quickly made my point.