Pro Wrestling Only

Bull Nakano

Grimmas

I voted Bull Nakano 30th in 2016 and I blew it with that one. Bull is a top 10 candidate for me. Anything you could ask for, Bull provides. You want all time great high end matches? You want maybe the coolest character in wrestling history? You want great selling? You want an offensive juggernaut? You want someone who understands their role and performs to the highest level in it? You want carrying lesser workers to all time great matches? You want someone good right away? You want a multi year run as a best in the world candidate? You want a post prime that consistently delivers (though is short)? You want incredible athleticism? You want stiffness? You want big bumps? You want bloody brawls? You want gimmick matches? You want classic title matches? Bull delivers in every setting over and over and over. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly new to Bull, but she's my working number 1 because each and every match I've seen of hers has completely blown me away. Elliott says it all better than I can, but she plays her character superbly, she's incredible against every wrestler I've seen her against - from lesser workers to other top stars - and her offense is brutal. Outstanding. 

On 4/18/2021 at 7:31 AM, elliott said:

Who are they?

I have 10:

1. Hokuto
2. Devil
3. Jaguar
4. Meiko Satomura
5. Kandori
6. Harley Saito
7. Mariko Yoshida
8. Aja
9. Jackie Sato
10. Kana

Maybe:

Chigusa
Yumiko Hotta
Carlos Amano
KAORU
Ayako Hamada
Dynamite Kansai
Toshiyo Yamada
Michiko Ohmukai
Azumi Hyuga
Mikiko Futagami
Command Bolshoi
Mayumi Ozaki
Yumi Fukawa

I'll have too rewatch Bulls top matches, though

24 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

I've been coming around on Devil and her 90s work lately. That, and she is pretty much better at being a monster than Bull. I watched her and Bull teaming up just a couple days ago and Devil looked head and shoulders better than Bull.

I see. Love the blog, btw. I've been hitting it up every few days. 

38 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

I've been coming around on Devil and her 90s work lately. That, and she is pretty much better at being a monster than Bull. I watched her and Bull teaming up just a couple days ago and Devil looked head and shoulders better than Bull.

Assess this match with the knowledge that JWP were building up Devil to end Kansai's 2 year title reign at their next major show, whereas Bull was just making a one off appearance.

Well, I prefer storydriven matches over matches with lots of effects. Back then I was underwhelmed watching random Bull Nakano matches. Meanwhile watching KAORUs run of weekly great matches in 1997 GAEA blew me away. I mean, there may have been some Pat Patton magic going on in those matches, but as far as I'm concerned, KAORU is as integral to that promotion as Hokuto. Watching Bull Nakano lariat someone really hard is fun and all, but I prefer KAORUs veteran dynamic to the GAEA rookies. Also I thought all the Bull/Aja matches were underwhelming and KAORU/Aja is a MOTDC. That's enough for me to put a KAORU in the Maybe pile for now.

1 minute ago, Jetlag said:

Well, I prefer storydriven matches over matches with lots of effects. Back then I was underwhelmed watching random Bull Nakano matches. Meanwhile watching KAORUs run of weekly great matches in 1997 GAEA blew me away. I mean, there may have been some Pat Patton magic going on in those matches, but as far as I'm concerned, KAORU is as integral to that promotion as Hokuto. Watching Bull Nakano lariat someone really hard is fun and all, but I prefer KAORUs veteran dynamic to the GAEA rookies. Also I thought all the Bull/Aja matches were underwhelming and KAORU/Aja is a MOTDC. That's enough for me to put a KAORU in the Maybe pile for now.

Then you should be a fan of Bull Nakano. 

37 minutes ago, elliott said:

Then you should be a fan of Bull Nakano. 

Gee, I'm getting flashbacks to the last project already :) Having her slightly outside my top 10 honest to god greatest women wrestlers to ever walk this planet list doesn't mean I don't like her.

How are we supposed to know that when you've said nothing positive about her here but were quick to name 10 people definitely better and another 20 "maybe.? You gave no indication that Bull was "slightly" outside your top 10 and when challenged on a controversial name you made it clear you think she's better to. Your only post on her from 2016 was how she wasnt a candidate. 

I can't read your mind :)

I didn't say KAORU is better, just that KAORU looks better based of a run of matches in what is probably her career year and a random match comparison. I put her in the Maybe pile along with some others because there is a chance that in 4 years I will have watched all the GAEA in existance and  I'm gonna say fuck a Bull Nakano, KAORU and Toshiyo Yamada are the best. I can't make a definite case right now but I could see it happening. I can also see myself going back and rewatching some of that AJW and turning around and saying Nakano actually rules and 2021 me was a dumbass. That said late 90s GAEA is ridiculously great and I like it way better than the AJW period Bull Nakano was big in, I mean so great it makes me want to throw up nominations for Toshie Uematsu and Maiko Matsumoto.

FWIW the competition in my 2016 list was incredibly steep. I can't remember if I had Bull on. But in the end there were like 40 people competing for the last 15 spots on my list, and I wanted every entry of mine to have some matches I really loved and I couldn't find many Nakano matches that I saw at that level for me. There's a good chance I ended up having her below someone like Mighty Inoue based on that :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2021 at 1:57 AM, strobogo said:

I might put Bull in the top 100 just for the cage match with Aja 

I watched this for the first time the other day, and it blew my mind, two absolute psychopaths. Watching that, I'd rather have to fight 95% of modern day indie workers of any gender than either Bull or Aja.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, Jetlag said:

I have 10:

[snip]

I'm a little surprised you don't have Hiromi Yagi on that list. I've only hipped to her really recently but she seems everything you'd enjoy. Yagi/Yoshida (ARSION 2/18/99) was an out of this world, all-timer performance by her.