Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon

Grimmas

I'm going to be more active this time around with providing info and context for the Puerto Rico candidates. I do have to organize and see what's out there in order to try to provide as full a picture as possible. But, I want to get a temperature check of sorts. Without looking it up and based on the following match, how old would you say Carlos Colon and Invader are here? And how would you rate their match and/or performance?

Carlos is currently a top 20 candidate for me. Phenomenal babyface, seller, and brawler. The feud with Hansen is one of my all-time favorites and the feud with Hercules Ayala is super underrated. The brawls with Abdullah are loads of fun and he got something halfway decent out of Steve Strong who might be the worst wrestler I've ever seen.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, El Boricua said:

I'm going to be more active this time around with providing info and context for the Puerto Rico candidates. I do have to organize and see what's out there in order to try to provide as full a picture as possible. But, I want to get a temperature check of sorts. Without looking it up and based on the following match, how old would you say Carlos Colon and Invader are here? And how would you rate their match and/or performance?

Back with the answer of how old they are here. This match is from July 27, 2013. That means that Carlos had just turned 65 a week and a half before the match. And he's actually the younger of the two, Invader was 67 here. The reason I mention this is that not a lot of people realize that almost all of the Puerto Rico footage we have of Carlos and Invader is from their mid to late 30s and on. Invader is 40 in 1986, Carlos is 40 in 1988. 

Doesn't affect his or Stan's rankings, but here's an amusing (or frightening, ymmv) anecdote from Stan's book:

I wrestled Carlos [Colon] at a baseball stadium show.  While the ring announcer was introducing us, a knife with about a 10-inch blade flew from the grandstands and the point buried itself in the center of the ring.  If it had hit either one of us, it would have buried itself to the hilt.  Carlos and I turned our heads to look at each other.  Simultaneously, we grabbed hold of each other, fell down to the mat in a heap, and began rolling around the ring.  The fans thought each of us was trying to wrestle and get the advantage, but in reality, we both were trying to pull the other one on top of himself to protect himself from another knife or thrown object.

• 1 month later...

One thing I wanted to highlight with the watch party playlist is that there actually is a bit more to Carlos Colon as a wrestler besides the brawls and blood feuds. While footage of Carlos in his 20s is scarce, you can tell from watching the footage that is out there that a younger Carlos had a different style to his wrestling than you would see later. He also wrestled more outside of Puerto Rico than people realize (in Japan, other U.S. territories, appearances in the Dominican Republic and Mexico, tours of Africa, etc.), so there is a bit more versatility there as well.. Still have five years to go before a list needs to be submitted, but I hope that those not that familiar with Carlos Colon or other Puerto Rican wrestlers had their interest piqued.  

The Colon vs Abdullah rivalry is one of my all time favorites. I haven't seen a match between them less than good and every one of them is different which you might not expect. I wanted to highlight this one from 1991 that El Boricua selected for the watch party.  Here is my spoiler filled review of the match: 

Spoiler

"Carlos hits Abby in the head with a cinderblock and Abby stabs Colon in the dick with a fork. El Profe is managing Abby and Profe attacks Colon so Colon rips his pants off and kicks him in the nuts. So, this is probably the best match of all time." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4l__9aDABs