Pro Wrestling Only

Dynamite Kid

Grimmas

One little thing I wanna say as a positive for Dynamite in the Tiger Mask series is that I love at the beginning of their first match when Tiger Mask starts breaking out all his wacky kicks, Dynamite's body language is amazing he's clearly both confused and scared and doesn't know what he should do and I think doing this was a great way of making Tiger look like something different and special just a few seconds into his debut

Not only that, but I love how Dynamite throws angry temper tantrums every time TM beats him. His post match whining/cheap shots fit his persona to a tee, and it's those little things that enhance character work.

Dynamite comes across just like that little shit in high school who came from a bad background and had an eternal chip on his shoulder, but who everybody knew not to fuck with because he was crazy and could really handle himself. Probably because that really was Dynamite. He came across like he was genuinely befuddled and frustrated that he couldn't best this weirdo in the mask. That kind of intense character work will always get over with me.

You'd really like Jim Breaks then.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think DK only had 36 televised matches in New Japan from late 79 thru July 84

Before that, he had 3 televised matches when he toured for IWE in July of 79 (his first tour of Japan). 2 matches against Ashura Hara, 1 against Isamu Teranishi.

10/17/79 (t. 8/17) Dynamite Kid vs. Tatsumi Fujinami

1/11/80 (t. 1/11) Dynamite Kid/Stan Hansen vs. Antonio Inoki/Tatsumi Fujinami

1/18/80 (t. 1/18) Dynamite Kid/Steve Keirn vs. Kantaro Hoshino/Tatsumi Fujinami

1/25/80 (t. 1/25) Dynamite Kid vs. Skip Young

2/15/80 (t. 2/5) Dynamite Kid vs. Tatsumi Fujinami

4/10/81 (t. 4/10) Dynamite Kid vs. Tatsumi Fujinami

5/1/81 (t. 4/23) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

1/1/82 (t. 1/1) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

1/8/82 (t. ?) Dynamite Kid/Babyface/Abdullah the Butcher vs.

Antonio Inoki/Tatsumi Fujinami/Tiger Mask

1/22/82 (t. 1/22) Dynamite Kid/Bret Hart vs. Tiger Mask/Kantaro Hoshino

1/29/82 (t. 1/28) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

2/19/82 (t. 2/11) Dynamite Kid/Bret Hart/Babyface vs.

Tiger Mask/Kengo Kimura/Tiger Mask

7/16/82 (t. 7/16) Dynamite Kid/Bret Hart vs. Tiger Mask/Kengo Kimura

7/23/82 (t. 7/23) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

8/6/82 (t. 8/5) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

8/13/82 (t. 8/3) Dynamite Kid/Bret Hart vs. Tiger Mask/Kantaro Hoshino

8/20/82 (t. 7/31) Dynamite Kid/Bret Hart/Greg Valentine vs.

Tiger Mask/Kengo Kimura/Tatsumi Fujinami

9/3/82 (t. 8/30 MSG) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

4/1/83 (t. 4/1) Dynamite Kid/Bobby Gaetano vs. Tiger Mask/Kantaro Hoshino

4/5/83 (t. 4/3) Dynamite Kid vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi

4/8/83 (t. 4/7) Dynamite Kid vs. Kantaro Hoshino

4/22/83 (t. 4/21) Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

1/1/84 Dynamite Kid/Davey Boy Smith vs. Isamu Teranishi/Kuniaki Kobayashi

1/6/86 Dynamite Kid vs. Isamu Teranishi

1/13/84 Dynamite Kid vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi

1/20/84 Dynamite Kid/Davey Boy Smith vs. Black Tiger/The Cobra

1/27/84 Dynamite Kid vs. The Cobra

2/3/84 Dynamite Kid vs. Davey Boy Smith

2/10/84 Dynamite Kid vs. Davey Boy Smith

2/17/84 Dynamite Kid vs. The Cobra

6/29/84 Dynamite Kid vs. The Cobra

7/6/84 Dynamite Kid vs. The Cobra

7/13/84 Dynamite Kid/Davey Boy Smith/Dr. D David Shultz vs.

Antonio Inoki/Tatsumi Fujinami/The Cobra

7/20/84 Dynamite Kid vs. Davey Boy Smith

7/27/84 Dynamite Kid vs. Tatsumi Fujinami

7/28/84 Dynamite Kid/Davey Boy Smith/Rick Oliver vs.

Riki Choshu/Yoshiaki Yatsu/Kuniaki Kobayashi

P.S. I just ordered the Dynamite Kid DVD boxed set from Japan today, so I will have these matches shortly.

Dan Ginnetty

I have already seen the majority of his matches in New Japan, though I am curious to see the few matches I don't already have.

I think the Tiger Mask hatred is fashionable these days, but I don't think their series was all that bad.

The 8/5/82 was my favorite for a couple of reasons, most notable the fact that Kid had been working towards his top rope headbutt in all

his prior matches in the series, but couldn't pull it off. In the 8/5 match he FINALLY nails it and goes for the pin, only to have TM kick out at 2.9.

The camera zooms in on DK and there is anguish on his face. This moment wouldn't mean as much to viewer if they didn't know that DK had been trying for the for the prior 4 matchups.

I will rewatch the DK stuff from 79-84 after I get this set and have more observations.

Dan

I need to check them against my NJ season sets to verify, but I know of a few tag matches and singles matches from 80 and 81 that aren't available.

I can write something up after I check out the box set Tuesday or Wednesday.

I will also go thru the different New Japan classics shows to find the Dynamite Kid matches they have already released, and if the match is uncut.

Dan

One little thing I wanna say as a positive for Dynamite in the Tiger Mask series is that I love at the beginning of their first match when Tiger Mask starts breaking out all his wacky kicks, Dynamite's body language is amazing he's clearly both confused and scared and doesn't know what he should do and I think doing this was a great way of making Tiger look like something different and special just a few seconds into his debut

Not only that, but I love how Dynamite throws angry temper tantrums every time TM beats him. His post match whining/cheap shots fit his persona to a tee, and it's those little things that enhance character work.

Dynamite comes across just like that little shit in high school who came from a bad background and had an eternal chip on his shoulder, but who everybody knew not to fuck with because he was crazy and could really handle himself. Probably because that really was Dynamite. He came across like he was genuinely befuddled and frustrated that he couldn't best this weirdo in the mask. That kind of intense character work will always get over with me.

You'd really like Jim Breaks then.

I've seen probably a half dozen matches of Breaks, I like him just fine, the problem is most of the time WoS bores me to tears. I just can't get into that style.

• 9 months later...

He had a good little run in Portland though not anything that would change your image of him. I actually kind of liked him as a broken down old bastard in All Japan. And he was a bit of a prodigy in the British stuff, even if he wasn't in any blowaway matches.

Edit: actually, he did have a great match with Marty Jones in England.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Re-read this thread last night and I was honestly a little surprised to see so many positive comments when I was expecting kind of a blood bath. He finished 78th last time around in between Terry Gordy (79) and Rick Rude (77). I didn't expect him to finish that high, I didnt expect all these nice comments here. Where do people stand on DK in 2021? I thought he looked awesome in Portland. Enough that it makes me kind of intrigued to take a look. Its been forever since I watched Dynamite in any real depth. 

I think people re-evaluating the Tiger Mask stuff really hurt his perception. Those matches went from "incredible, 20 years ahead of their time" to "actually just kind of bad" and I think that the truth is somewhere in the middle, the matches are good, but I don't really consider them all-timers. I also think he may, somewhat unfairly, have some Benoit stink on him that doesn't help. Generally, though, I'd say he was good everywhere until he totally fell apart. Good stuff with Marty Jones in the UK, good stuff with Fujinami in New Japan, good stuff with Tiger Mask, good stuff with Buddy in Portland, good stuff in the team with Davey.

I don't think he's a top 100 guy for me, but I wouldn't rule him out either. 

Amusingly I’m at the Dynamite Kid portions of the Portland set recently, and being honest, he’s been a pretty massive dud for me there. The Buddy/Dynamite stuff has generally left me cold, with there first singles match firmly in my bottom 10 on the set due to it being a directionless mess of a match that good execution doesn’t save. I’m not sure if he’s had a multi man match in which I didn’t think The Assassin wasn’t clearly better then him either, though Fidel Sierra rules so that shouldn’t be a surprise.

The idea that Dynamite Kid stuff hasn't aged well is pretty odd considering how if you look at the last 40 years and how pro-wrestling as a whole has evolved, it owes *so much* to Dynamite Kid. You put Dynamite Kid from the early 80's in a 2021 ring, and he's not that much out of place in ways he absolutely should (speed, execution, intensity, pacing, bumping). And that's not a retrospective view either, it's just plain descriptive when you look at the big picture over a long timeframe, it's more evident now than ever before. Of course Dynamite had those destructive habits, both in and out of the ring, which has ampered his career greatly in term of output, but there is well enough material to absolutely have him back into the fold (and yes, watching Dark Side absolutely made me rethink about his case, as has my evolution in looking at pro-wrestling in the last 5 years, I'm not sure I voted for him last time around).

5 hours ago, El-P said:

The idea that Dynamite Kid stuff hasn't aged well is pretty odd considering how if you look at the last 40 years and how pro-wrestling as a whole has evolved, it owes *so much* to Dynamite Kid. You put Dynamite Kid from the early 80's in a 2021 ring, and he's not that much out of place in ways he absolutely should (speed, execution, intensity, pacing, bumping). And that's not a retrospective view either, it's just plain descriptive when you look at the big picture over a long timeframe, it's more evident now than ever before. Of course Dynamite had those destructive habits, both in and out of the ring, which has ampered his career greatly in term of output, but there is well enough material to absolutely have him back into the fold (and yes, watching Dark Side absolutely made me rethink about his case, as has my evolution in looking at pro-wrestling in the last 5 years, I'm not sure I voted for him last time around).

Is this a positive or negative overall for wrestling?

5 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I really liked the DK/Fujinami match from Calgary. 

I'm excited to watch that one. Watching this one now and its ok. OJ, I know you're a big fan of the Marty Jones match (or you were at one point), when was the last time you watched the Mark Rocco match.