Pro Wrestling Only

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy

Grimmas

5 hours ago, Cap said:

I named my dog after him

When I began expressing myself artistically on the metropolitan rail network (ahem), my first "tag" was BamBam. I was 15/16 and just discovering the sheets and tape-trading, and Gordy was not so much "flavour of the month" (this would've been 1988-89) as that makes him sound fleeting, but he was like the first "indy darling", if I may, that I recall of my fandom. 

He's legendary in his own way, just probably not in a way that would get him a spot on my list. His look, style and work was in such juxtaposition to his puppy-dog eyes that there was an almost instant pathos that very few others had, and he was certainly highly-respected amongst the "smart" fans I was becoming one of. Starting at 14 years of age will help get you that respect, I suspect. Undeniable toughness, love the guy, but I doubt I can include him. More "aura" than "output", perhaps.

Of all the big enforcer folks one could criticize for bumping too much, I think Gordy was the one most effected by it. I've wondered if the same things he was praised for as a teenager in the business (his athleticism and being able to bump so big for a guy his size) hurt him later in his career as a singles performer in terms of being able to reach the peaks we always wished he'd reached. If he was 20% less Ric Flair and 20% more Stan Hansen we might be looking at it differently. I haven't really put this theory to the test mind you, but based on my memory of the very best US Gordy matches (The Killer Khan match, the Dr Death matches in Mid South, there's a Chris Adams match from World Class) he does a much better job portraying himself as a badass than he would at other times when he's bumping around making the babyfaces look awesome. 

There's a middle ground between a guy Gordy's size bumping, stooging & begging off and Brody no-selling everything in sight. I dunno, he's a fascinating guy for me because he had all the tools in the world and he was a great fucking wrestler. There's definitely a parallel universe where a bunch of pro-wrestling fans are doing a Greatest Wrestler Ever 2026 poll and Gordy, Windham & Dr Death are all #1 contenders. 

9 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

When I began expressing myself artistically on the metropolitan rail network (ahem), my first "tag" was BamBam. I was 15/16 and just discovering the sheets and tape-trading, and Gordy was not so much "flavour of the month" (this would've been 1988-89) as that makes him sound fleeting, but he was like the first "indy darling", if I may, that I recall of my fandom. 

He's legendary in his own way, just probably not in a way that would get him a spot on my list. His look, style and work was in such juxtaposition to his puppy-dog eyes that there was an almost instant pathos that very few others had, and he was certainly highly-respected amongst the "smart" fans I was becoming one of. Starting at 14 years of age will help get you that respect, I suspect. Undeniable toughness, love the guy, but I doubt I can include him. More "aura" than "output", perhaps.

haha awesome

Yeah, I agree here. I think he is a fairly unique combination of traits and skills. There is definitely like an aura and narrative around him. I hear a lot of people praise him in a way that makes me think he leaves an impression on you the first time you dive into his time/place in wrestling. He stands out with his stooging, bumping, look, personality, etc. I hope I bring myself to dive in a bit and give him a chance. There are enough matches/feuds that stand out in my memory to give him that much in the next 5 YEARS

• 2 months later...