Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Thread

Bigelow34

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case it's gotten better in terms of supply access, but going on now to three months without electricity (since Hurricane Irma so before Maria tore through here). Have no idea when it'll come back (it's likely it will be sometime in 2018). I've been fortunate that my office rented a temporary workspace in a place that does have electricity, so I can at least charge up my phone and tablet there during the day (and I've been able top catch up on my podcast backlog at work). Other than the dark nights and driving on streets that resemble a demolition derby since there are no streetlights, it's gotten better in my case. Overall still a lot of work to be done on the island though.

That is insane, man. Sorry you have to go through this but I'm glad it is starting to improve and you are hanging in.

The other thing about Race is that he, along with Savage, was Hogan's next house show challenger after Mania. There was going to have to be "life after Andre," so it makes further sense to put Race over.

Right, agreed totally. I kind of hinted at that during the discussion too, that Race had to stay strong for the future.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault and ready for the aftermath of WrestleMania III as they dive into the 5/2/87 Saturday Night's Main Event!

The boys discuss Ken Patera's return and face turn, a surprising Kamala win, the continuation of the Jake Roberts/Honky Tonk Man feud, the final Randy Savage/George Steele war, the next step in Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant, a fake out Tag Team title match, the booking of Ricky Steamboat, the SNME arrival of Jim Duggan and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott & Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-472-saturday-nights-main-event-xi-5287/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are inside the Vintage Vault and ready for the aftermath of WrestleMania III as they dive into the 5/2/87 Saturday Night's Main Event!

The boys discuss Ken Patera's return and face turn, a surprising Kamala win, the continuation of the Jake Roberts/Honky Tonk Man feud, the final Randy Savage/George Steele war, the next step in Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant, a fake out Tag Team title match, the booking of Ricky Steamboat, the SNME arrival of Jim Duggan and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott & Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-472-saturday-nights-main-event-xi-5287/

You guys were right about Hogan’s absence after wrestle mania. I attended the July and August msg shows that summer. Hogan was not at either, but the product was still hot as I believe both shows I attended were sold out. They were both headlined by Honky Tonk Man vs Ricky Steamboat IC title matches. The best matches of Honkys career. You also had some great matches with Haku and Tama vs Martel and Santana. Butch Reed began his feud with Superstar Graham. Those matches were not that good. You guys will truly enjoy reviewing those cards

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are joined by Kelly Nelson, Pete Schirmacher and John D'Amato to break down the Road to WrestleMania III for the two top matches on the show.

The boys discuss the card positions of Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage in early 1987, Steamboat's overall career to this point, a potential what if Randy Savage opponent for Pontiac, thoughts on the feud as a whole, other great classic matches between the two around the horn, Andre the Giant's heel turn, other potential opponents for Hulk Hogan, Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura's role in the feud, the earlier battles between Hogan and Andre and so much more!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and the crew as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-470-the-road-to-wrestlemania-iii/

Just catching up on episodes (most of the way through the Wrestlemania III pod at the moment), but wanted to say I really enjoyed this one with all the guys where you broke down the main matches. It delivered some great insight and got me pumped to listen to the Mania show itself, as if this was the pre show and I was laying down the cash to buy it! Obviously getting everyone together schedule wise not always easy but hope you return to this format before some of the really big shows like each Mania when you get there as I think it acts as a really good lead in.

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and John D'Amato are welcoming in the spring in New York City with a look at the 5/18/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the passing of Tom Zenk, the arrival of Sam Houston, a quality won for Powers & Roma, a singles victory for Danny Davis, a mess of a Dave Barbee match, a first hot brawl between Hulk Hogan and Harley Race, the lack of credible main event heels, a brutal women's match, a fun Killer Bees/Demolition battle, an odd Ron Bass/Gorilla Monsoon confrontation, Ken Patera's MSG return and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-473-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-51887/

Ho, ho ho! In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, it is time for our seventh annual Christmas Extravaganza! This year, join Scott, Justin and a host of PTBN staff members as take you on a trip through time as they try to save a life… and Christmas, kind of… Holiday cheer! Mischief! Turmoil! Subterfuge! Polio! Kevin Kelly! ICOPRO! Love! Hate! Check out “Keeping it in the Family: A Christmas Journey Through Time”!

So grab some cookies and milk and settle in by the fire because it is time for another holiday edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-474-seventh-annual-christmas-spectacular/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are spending a summer night in the city with a look at the 6/14/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss upcoming PTBN trips to the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, Christmas, feelings on the summer of 1987 in the WWF, the heel turn for the Islanders, a huge title change, the farewell and passing of Tom Zenk, another match between Hercules and Billy Jack Haynes, a good showing for Powers & Roma, a slow AF Junkyard Dog vs. Paul Orndorff match, a red hot brawl between Hulk Hogan and Harley Race, another brutal Outback Jack match, a big win for the British Bulldogs, the influence of Danny Davis on the success of the Hart Foundation and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-475-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-61487/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Sheriff Pete Schirmacher are spending pushing through the sweltering summer heat with a look at the 7/25/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the big women's title change, the MSG debut of Brady Boone, a hot match between Rick Martel and Tama, a decent win for Butch Reed, a great battle between Ricky Steamboat and Honky Tonk Man, Honky's place in the card, the igniting of a Tito Santana/Ron Bass feud, the explosion of the original Dream Team, the arrival of Rick Rude, another battle between the Hart Foundation and British Bulldogs and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Pete as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-476-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-72587/

This is a fun time in the WWF with the debut of the Million Dollar Man, Rick Rude, and talks of Bam Bam. I'm really enjoying the tag division and also loved the Martel match from the most recent show. They did show highlights of the closing moments of the Sherri Martel title win on Prime Time.

Thanks for listening guys and for the insights too.

I am surprised how much I have enjoyed these summer 1987 cards. I always assumed it was sort of a dead zone given the roster construction and Hogan and Andre being MIA, but they have held up nicely.

We will cover Steamboat/Honky II on Monday!

Not sure if it's intentional or strictly a case of schedules & circumstances, but I've been really digging the rotating cast of guests you guys have got going lately. Keeps things fresh and offers slightly different takes & touches on a time and place that's highly nostalgic for me. Makes for a killer combo. Immensely enjoyable audio with these last few episodes, man.

Why does Honky Tonk get so much hate? I understand from kayfabe world you can hate the heels. But 30 years later you can't hate his WWF run. He was entertaining and had Iron Sheik heat. His in ring work is underrated as well. A lot of stalling in Savage HTM matches but the marks are eating every second of it! I have similar opinion on Beefcake. He was over, period. If you were born in the 80s then you were probably a fan. Okay thanks for the great shows. I look forward to every episode!

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and John D'Amato are staying cool and beating the heat by taking a look at the 8/22/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss the arrival of Scott Casey, a hot brawl between Tito Santana and Ron Bass, the first MSG match of the new Women's Champion Sensational Sherri agains ta feisty Velvet McIntyre, Duke Doherty's attempt at commentary, the continuation of Rick Martel's feud with the Islanders, a red hot rematch between Ricky Steamboat and Honky Tonk Man, the comeback of Superstar Billy Graham, a brutal final match and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & John as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-477-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-82287/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Kelly Nelson are welcoming in the fall weather in the City by taking a look at the 9/21/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss JT's crazy day, the passing of Dolores O'Riordan, insider commentary at the expense of Steve Lombardi, Don Muraco's first match as a face, a red hot Strike Force/Islanders battle, an ugly loss for Brad Rheingens, the arrival of One Man Gang, the Piledriver album, a meandering brawl between the Rougeau Brothers and Dream Team, a garbage DUD George Steele/Sika match, a stiff match between Harley Race and Hillbilly Jim, a tremendous fight between Randy Savage and Honky Tonk Man and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Kelly as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-478-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-92187/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Peter Winson (Greetings From Allentown) are inside the Vintage Vault and ready to launch the fall season in the WWF as they dive into the 10/3/87 Saturday Night's Main Event!

The boys discuss another smoking hot Randy Savage/Honky Tonk Man war, the birth of the Mega Powers, an easy WWF Title defense for Hulk Hogan, a rugged brawl between Paul Orndorff and King Kong Bundy, the direction of the Heenan Family, a title defense for the Hart Foundation, the debut of the PILEDRIVER music video and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and Peter as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-479-saturday-nights-main-event-xii-10387/

It will be interesting to see where the turn is for Honky Tonk Man to become a slug that you couldn't wait to see get the belt off of, as opposed to a great heel finally getting his comeuppance. I know in the original 1988 SummerSlam episode Scott was giddy about being "about time" HTM got receipts and looked at the lights more often than not.

Also I wonder at what point the idea started that Hogan and Savage would main event WM V. Obviously it was a year long plotted story line, but did they start to realize that's what they wanted in March, or was it back here in the Fall of 1987? I guess a good spark towards that would be when No Holds Barred was green lit, so whenever that was going to be a thing is another good suggested time.

According to Meltzer, they settled on the idea of running a year-long Hulk versus Macho Man program in the final weeks leading up to Mania 4. You could research for the date that they changed the brackets for the WM4 tourney to get a more specific idea of when they switched plans from DiBiase over to Savage.

I remember PTBs WM Rewind series on IV had Parv combing through the WOs to pinpoint when the switch was made.

When was SummerSlam first at least rumored to be a thing? That could have been the time to give Savage the belt after chasing DiBiase since Mania.

• 2 weeks later...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Richard Land are gearing up for some trick or treating in the city by taking a look at the 10/16/87 Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss a busy night of WWF action across the United States, the final MSG match for Outback Jack, the arrival of Nick Bockwinkel, another tough loss for the Dream Team, the return of Ivan Putski, Don Muraco's work as a face, an interesting challenge for Randy Savage, the big steel cage rematch between Billy Graham and Butch Reed, the final MSG showdown between Strike Force and the Islanders and more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Landy as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-480-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-101687/

Just finishing up the latest show, and my guess is that the cage stip for Graham vs Reed was pretty much for drawing purposes only, rather than something that was necessary based on booking, since the roster was spread thin and they didn't have a really big match to pack them in. That they sold out MSG that night is really impressive considering all the Hogan headlined shows that failed to do so