Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Grimmas

Buzz Sawyer

The Mad Dog is one of my all-time favorites working a manic style with his insane persona but he fails for not having enough high profile matches on tape in the early part of his career. You could see from the various important matches that we do have mostly from TV that Buzz could go with the best of them before he got terribly out of shape and his powerslam was probably the greatest version of all-time not to mention his own version of the Superfly Splash. Buzz was also a guy whose demons hurt him tremendously and if he had stayed even sorta straight he could've been one of the best around.

Buzz's work with Mid-South/UWF in 1985-86 was pretty damn great as his matches with Duggan were some of the greatest brawls of the era.

It's a shame that the key matches of the Rich feud in GCW from 82-83 aren't available because we would have a greater picture of both men.

I still maintain that DiBiase has the better scoop powerslam, even though Sawyer runs him close.

Buzz seems like he belongs but I think there's a lack of truly high end stuff in tape like Kris said. GCW guys are really hurt by lack of arena show footage. But he is pretty great at squashing jobbers.

His squashes and promos are the highlight of the 1983 GCW TV I'm working my way through.

(Les Thornton and Dory Jr. have also been pretty impressive in that setting. In fact, there's an unlisted Dory Jr. squash that I will need to upload for Parv at some point.)

Of course Buzz has a number of great matches in Mid-South and not much else to hang his hat on. I'd almost have to include him based on the strength of the Duggan matches and honestly I value a good squash just about as anything, I just can't help but feel that if we had more footage of longer matches, he'd be compared to Kurt Angle more often than not. As it stands, I have no evidence to back up my theory there, so to his benefit, he falls more into the Brock Lesnar category.

I was watching random 80's matches on YouTube and Dailymotion when I came across Sawyer. The first match I watched of his was with Terry Taylor from Crockett (I'd say it's from 1985). The match just sucked me in from start to finish, thanks to Sawyer's performance. One of those wrestlers you just watch for the first time and just want to see more from, as soon as you can. Going on to watch more of his bouts from Georgia, Florida, Mid South, JCP, World Class and WCW just made me totally fall for him. Guy just oozed quality in pretty much everything I seen him in. I haven't even checked out is tag work yet.

He's got matches out there, from 1979-1990 with Terry Taylor, Jim Duggan, Tommy Rich, Tully Blanchard, Bret Hart, Arn Anderson, Jack Brisco, Ted DiBasie and Kevin Von Erich. Also a good amount of tags which I've yet to watch.

Going by what I've seen, and how much I've liked it, I just know Buzz is gonna have a spot in my top 100. I can see him anywhere on my list from #51 - #80. From looking at where he ended up in the 2006 poll, it seemed many at the time had not seen much (if any) of his work at that stage. He really seems like a wrestler with the talent who should at the very worst crack the top 150 this time.

That can only happen if more people take a look at him. To see for themselves if he belongs. I think so.

Buzz is at the very end of my list right now and he's the guy who might not make it. In my own head, I have sort of a Brock Lesnar vibe with him, where he's so explosive and dynamic that I think I'm giving him more credit than I ought to as a total package for my list relative to the footage we have. It's making me want to fill the gaps with my imagination. We'll see.

EDIT: He's gone. It's AJ Styles fault.

He has to be one of the most guys helped by more footage showing up. We got Last Battle of Atlanta, a great JYD match, Babyface Buzz vs. DiBiase, Buzz and Bret versus the Roadies. Feels like a guy who we always knew was awesome, and we got the footage to back it up.

I have been organizing my footage for the last few months and found something about every single Buzz Sawyer squash in the early 80s to love. Whether he was the best wrestler in the world during those years or not, he was certainly the most compelling, to the point that I think literally every TV match he had from 1980 until he turned babyface in 1983 is a must-see. I like him after that, but to me, he wasn't quite the same after that. Still, he would definitely fare better for me this time than last time.

I should add that the early '86 match against Doc on the DVDVR Mid South set was the most slept-upon match on that set in my opinion. A top-tier selection that I think finished somewhere in the middle.

That match with him and Rick Steiner v Koko Ware and Italian Stallion from the '86 Crockett Cup also ruled. I voted for him last time and he'll likely be higher this time.