Pro Wrestling Only

Guys You Never Bought

Mad Dog

Many of the choices already mentioned, such as Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, and Jeff Jarrett, fall under guys I never bought. Fuck, toss in HHH too, as I never bought a blueblood snob who waddled around in hogpens to be a credible main eventer and, evidently, no one else bought it either.

Toss in any non-wrestler who ever held a title or got a serious amount of ring tme. That goes for the McMahons, Russo, Moolah, any old timer who gets to go over a younger up-and-comer in some fashion (even like the Piper's Pit segment at WrestleMania), etc. Fuck, all this can be thrown into that Exposing The Business thread too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Benoit and Guerrero. They didn't really do anything with the belt when they had it and it always seemed like they were holding it for someone else.

I disagree strongly with that. I buy Benoit as a badass. I buy Eddie as a sneaky bastard. When Benoit goes against HHH Rock, Austin etc. , I believe he ahs a chance to beat any of them. When Eddie faced JBL or Big Show, Eddie's performance was so good that I did not roll my eyes, thinking to myself "this little guy can't hurt these giants". If you don't buy them as champions it is because of a lack of faith in the promotion, not the performers.

Benoit and Guerrero.  They didn't really do anything with the belt when they had it and it always seemed like they were holding it for someone else/

Still bitter?

This thread is the "guys you *always* found unbelievable" thread. Not the "certain moments in time where your favorite wrestlers got screwed over by politics" thread, RRR.

Are there any other guys who, throughout their entire careers, that you never bought into as threats?

I really never bought Bill Dundee. I can suspend disbelief with a short guy, but Bill really pushed the limit with me. I just couldn't buy someone who can't get on the scary rides at the amusement park as a top heel or face in a wrestling promotion.

While we're talking about being unable to buy slighted wrestlers on top, while he was one of my favorites for years, I have no problem admitting that Jericho sometimes didn't look credible when he was facing guys like Kane and Big Show, even on the rare occasion that he was able to pull a good match out of them. The one exception to that was on the 09/30/02 RAW, where Jericho apparently watched a dozen Bret Hart tapes that afternoon and decided to channel him against Kane.

If Rey was allowed to lead in his match against big man #1, I could see him working the guy over (ala Kawada/Albright) and make it look convincing. That doesn't mean I'd believe he could actually win the match (unless he pulls a miracle win out from his ass).

On Dundee...

Why? Before Tim mentioned him in another thread, I have never seen or heard anyone heap praise on Dundee. Now, I have seen people praise the Dundee-Lawler feud, but not on Dundee himself.

As for Rey Mysterio...

I buy Rey since he is so fast and so smooth that you really believe this guy is using his quickness to either frustrate the opponent until he gets caught slipping or to blow him up so Rey's cardio plays a role in how he gains the advantage. If we use Rey, I guess we could say the same thing about Waltman who was flirting in the land of the giants for a long time.

Dundee was such a fantastic interview that he could convince you of anything. But aside from that, he was a feisty little shit and wrestled hit and run style against big men on a regular basis and looked good doing it. I remember seeing him have a ***1/2 match with KAMALA in 1991 -- of all people -- based entirely on doing that. He eventually wore Kamala down to a point where he got the win because he'd strike and take off.

The reason Dundee doesn't get much praise is because no one has seen him.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Oh, shit. I'm sorry. My mind turned this into "guys you never bought as credible champions" because that's a bit harder to think of. My mistake. Go on pointing out the obvious.

While we're talking about being unable to buy slighted wrestlers on top, while he was one of my favorites for years, I have no problem admitting that Jericho sometimes didn't look credible when he was facing guys like Kane and Big Show, even on the rare occasion that he was able to pull a good match out of them. The one exception to that was on the 09/30/02 RAW, where Jericho apparently watched a dozen Bret Hart tapes that afternoon and decided to channel him against Kane.

Jericho actually worked over larger opponents legs though. I never thought Jericho would have looked un-credible as Heavyweight champ. He had a good game plan (work the legs over) and it paid off in matches.

Jericho's '00 RAW match against the Big Show, where Jericho's carrying the show since the Rock isn't there, really showed me that Jericho could be a smart worker after doing several dropkicks to the legs and chop blocking TBS from behind. It was probably one of the best matches TBS had with anyone in the WWE up to that point since he wasn't getting tossed around like a rag doll by the Rock or punked by HHH and his nutshots.

Oh, shit.  I'm sorry.  My mind turned this into "guys you never bought as credible champions" because that's a bit harder to think of.  My mistake.  Go on pointing out the obvious.

No, it's cool.

Honestly, the WWE not giving full support to Jericho, Benoit, and Guerrero but handing the keys to the champion kingdom to slugs like HHH, Cena, and Batista is still a travesty to look back upon. Vince and Co. really dropped the ball with the 3 aforementioned guys.

After watching Batista vs. Eddy from the recent No Mercy PPV, Batista isn't believable to me at all. Eddy had to kick and scream his way through a tolerable match with Batista.

I get the comments Batista made about TNA now as the thing he tried too hard at (and thus overacted) were his facial expressions. Everything that was good in that match is all because of Eddy. Fucking Batista couldn't even take a camel clutch or a half crab properly. And his clotheslines/strikes are Sid like.

I haven't seen any of them, but I can only imagine Trips vs. Batista series as being totally unwatchable.

In other news, piss poor wrestler JBL had another good match with Rey Jr. on PPV. Nothing blow away, but excellent undercard fodder.

JBL works well with Rey and Eddy.

Batista apparently works well with HHH but not with Eddy.

Crazy.

Guest teke184

Oh, shit.? I'm sorry.? My mind turned this into "guys you never bought as credible champions" because that's a bit harder to think of.? My mistake.? Go on pointing out the obvious.

No, it's cool.

Honestly, the WWE not giving full support to Jericho, Benoit, and Guerrero but handing the keys to the champion kingdom to slugs like HHH, Cena, and Batista is still a travesty to look back upon. Vince and Co. really dropped the ball with the 3 aforementioned guys.

Replace "Cena" with "Bradshaw" and I'd agree.

Guest EastCoastJ

Currently, Randy Orton. Being a third generation wrestler with a good look only takes you so far, and up to this point I haven't seen anything in Orton to suggest he'll be the future of the business. He's a bad face, not believable as a heel, a lousy promo and he wrestles like a wirey Tom Zenk. If Orton is as over as John Cena or taken as seriously as Triple H or Kurt Angle for any extended period in the next three years, I would be absolutely shocked.

Meltz loves Angle because he's a gold medalist in "real" wrestling and Meltz has a hard-on for any type of shoot fighting.

Yeah, which is why I offer Meltzer a hearty "fuck off" whenever I see him get all lovey dovey about Angle's in-ring wrasslin skillz. Yea d00der!

Fuck, the only time I *ever* thought of Angle as an actual Olympic Gold medalist in a WWE ring was when he worked against Chris Benoit in their Wrestlemania 17 match. Funny enough, Benoit, the fake wrassler, was doing most of the actual leading on the mat. That was the only time I actually thought Angle looked like a legit wrestler. It also doesn't help he's a goofball too for some real wrasslin killer.

Both Benoit and Angle have stated that Kurt lead that match.

If they would have pushed Angle from the start as the serious asskicker they're pushing him as now, he might have been the huge star everyone thought he would be.

Instead we got 4 1/2 years of funny, nerdy Angle and for some reason that didn't light the world on fire.

Carlito strikes me more as a badly-trained wrestler than a bad wrestler. He apparently was a pretty good high-flying guy in Puerto Rico, but has eliminated all the highspots from his repertoire in the move to WWE so he can work the company style. Now that that aspect of his game has been taken from him, he has little left. He's what AJ Styles would be if you told him he could do absolutely no highspots in a match.