Pro Wrestling Only

Who is in Your Top 100 Right Now?

Superstar Sleeze

Is it okay to ask on what planet Steve Williams is considered a better wrestler than Ric Flair?

I mean we could go through each and every guy and say "why him over Flair", but Williams stands out to me as being a guy who was actively bad for portions of his career. And even considering his highlights, it's pretty staggering to find him on the list when a lot of guys aren't there.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My instinctive reaction was that Williams has to make it due to his incredible peak. He's not someone I'd place very highly but even in his not-great All Japan stuff I always found him very enjoyable. I have no idea how he was in the states and my list would look completely different if I had the time to be a completist for every wrestler but I don't. It's possible his US work is disappointing or just mediocre. I doubt I'll make time to properly assess that before the deadline as I have other priorities in mind. And you could make "the Ric Flair argument" for about 70% of my list but as it stands I do not like Flair nearly as much as you or any other wrestling fan really. There's a decent chance he'd fallen off as some other wrestlers whose case is based mostly on peak did. He still might because he is in the lower part of my list and I intend to go through the list of nominees and compare the guys I have on it to those I had on it previously or I'd considered. But it could just be a matter of not being familiar with the "bad" Williams. I saw him break someone's nose with a shoot kick in a short match I thought was pretty amazing in american UWF and that's about the extent of my Dr.Death US knowledge. Oh and his WWF run too. There's a squash where he's in a handicap match vs. The Hardys and just dumps them on their head a lot which I adored.

Williams has a weird trajectory in that he was pretty good in Mid-South (and we've seen some highlights on NWA classics,magics boost his case in my view), but then really isn't very good in WCW. I don't like him much in Japan either until his highlights in 1994.

I find him an interesting person to think about.

There are still some months left till the deadline and I'd recommend dropping basically everything else and making 80s Crockett / NWA your absolute priority. I mean even if you don't like Flair there a ton of other guys missing from your list, which seems like it is due to a lack of exposure.

Pretty high ranking for AJ Styles.

There are plenty of workers I like who I just don't feel strongly about to rank. I like Tully Blanchard a lot, and I can see why someone would think the Magnum TA match is an all time classic, and it's a great match to me but it's not something that connects to me on the level of the great puro and lucha, and I could replace Tully with a lot of other guys in that formulation.

Low Ki above Jerry Lawler was one of the first things I noticed but it's fine, everyone's list is going to have things that some of us find odd. GOTNW's profile says he's only 19 too. He didn't grow up in the same eras that others of us did too. I find it interesting. Happy birthday, by the way.

Mayumi Ozaki?

I like Oz but just haven't gotten the impression she's that good based on what I've seen so far.

Another thing I noticed about GOTNW's list: Owen Hart is there, but Bret isn't. How come?

Owen is there mostly for his consistency and great TV work and I also loved him as a junior in New Japan.

Low Ki above Jerry Lawler was one of the first things I noticed but it's fine, everyone's list is going to have things that some of us find odd. GOTNW's profile says he's only 19 too. He didn't grow up in the same eras that others of us did too. I find it interesting. Happy birthday, by the way.

Like I said there's not much order once you get to that part of the list but Ki above Lawler seems just fine to me. And thanks.

As Elliott noted back in May - the weirdest thing in making this list is when you have to do a side-by-side comparison of elite but totally different workers. Do I like Fuchi more than I like Steamboat? Finlay over Black Terry? Buddy Rose or Jim Breaks? Virus or Bobby Eaton? Some of those #25-50 slots are really tough to choose.

While I do have a working list of 100 that I’d be happy with, I also have an ever-revised list of 40-50 opt-ins who I need to see more of, or just figure out where I stand on them. Like, I’ve seen a ton of Tommy Rich, Ole Anderson, Tito Santana, Koko Ware and Dan Kroffat. But if I devote a few hours to just watching interesting matches of theirs that I’ve never seen, which could make my list? Only one way to find out. This is true of tons of people who aren’t shoo-ins but are intriguing candidates. Then there are some Lucha and Joshi options who I’m just not familiar with. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Yumi Ikeshita match. I’d need to see a lot more Emilio Charles, Jr. or Ringo Mendoza for example to gauge where each stands.

Basically trying to tackle one worker a day and fully immerse my viewing in that person as much as possible each day leading up to the deadline. It definitely focuses what I watch and creates a fun compilation nature to the process. The YouTube/DM playlists devoted to a single worker are goldmines in this sense.

My #100 (which changes constantly) as of today is Seiji Sakaguchi, who doesn't even have a thread yet (I should get on this). Who seems like kind of an amusing barometer to measure people against. After watching a few hours of your stuff (ideally your best/highly praised stuff), do I like you more or less than I like Sakaguchi?

The most amazing part of all of it is just how short and tough a top 100 really is once you get going. So many awesome workers who’d make a top 200 and not this. So many heartbreakers where a guy I love is coming in at #106. For me, that bottom 10 is going to have some sentimental favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday, in no order yet whatsoever and so far only 73 names.

Akira Taue

Shinya Hashimto
Tatsumi Funjinami
Riki Choshu
Akira Hokuto
Barry Windham
Black Terry
Lou Thesz
AJ Styles
Bobby Eaton
Bull Nakano
Dave Finlay
Masaaki Mochizuki
Dick Murdoch
Volk Han
Kyoshi Tamura
Ron Garvin
Andre the Giant
Dick Togo
Great Sasuke
Hayabusa
Adrian Street
Randy Savage
Ricky Steamboat
Ricky Morton
William Regal
Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Vader
Hiroshi Hase
Aja Kong
Manami Toyota
Jaguar Yokota
Chigusa Nagayo
El Hijo Del Santo
Negro Casas
Rey Mysterio
Blue Panther
El Satanico
El Dandy
Brock Lesnar
John Cena
Masa Fuchi
Mick Foley
Bret Hart
Rick Martel
Megumi Kudo
Greg Valentine
Jusghin Liger
Jumbo Tsuruta
Genichiro Tenyru
Giant Baba
The Destroyer
Nick Bockwinkel
Billy Robinson
Terry Funk
Ric Flair
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Jerry Lawler
Stan Hansen
Toshiaki Kawada
Mitsuharu Misawa
Kenta Kobashi
Little Guido
Jun Akiyama
Yoshihito Tajiri
Steve Austin
Yoshiaki Yatsu
Yuki Ishikawa
Necrobutcher
Stan Lane
Dustin Rhodes
Daniel Bryan
Samoa Joe
Eddie Guerrero
Johnny Saint
Steve Grey
Jim Breaks

My locked-in top five are; Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Curt Hennig, Harley Race and Pat Patterson (though not, necessarily, in that order).

My locked-in "somewhere on the list" workers are; Roddy Piper, Lex Luger, Tully Blanchard, Shinobu Kandori, Owen Hart, Terry Funk, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Undertaker, Terry Taylor, Kana, Lance Storm, AJ Styles and Buddy Landell.

My "probably on the list" workers are; Ted Dibiase, Mike Rotunda, Greg Valentine, Sasha Banks, Chris Benoit, Ron Simmons, Steve Keirn, Nick Bockwinkel, Madusa Micelli, Scott Hall and Kevin Sullivan.

My "should put on the list but won't" workers are; Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, Sean Waltman and Jimmy Valiant.

My locked-in top five are; Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Curt Hennig, Harley Race and Pat Patterson (though not, necessarily, in that order).

My locked-in "somewhere on the list" workers are; Roddy Piper, Lex Luger, Tully Blanchard, Shinobu Kandori, Owen Hart, Terry Funk, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Undertaker, Terry Taylor, Kana, Lance Storm, AJ Styles and Buddy Landell.

My "probably on the list" workers are; Ted Dibiase, Mike Rotunda, Greg Valentine, Sasha Banks, Chris Benoit, Ron Simmons, Steve Keirn, Nick Bockwinkel, Madusa Micelli, Scott Hall and Kevin Sullivan.

My "should put on the list but won't" workers are; Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, Sean Waltman and Jimmy Valiant.

This is not said with any malice at all, but that's by far the weirdest fucking list I've seen for this project. Kudos.

Yeah, I was just wondering how much you'd seen. I love his 1979 WWF run and stuff with Slaughter, but there isn't much footage available sadly from before that -- a bit of silent stuff from early 70s San Francisco.

I want to rank him as highly as possible, but lack of footage limits him for me.

I don't know if this frowned upon, or not, but I'm also factoring in his stuff with Stevens.

Edit: It was Blonde Bombers footage that first turned me onto him.

This is not said with any malice at all, but that's by far the weirdest fucking list I've seen for this project. Kudos.

Yes, I've noticed that myself. That said, I'm happy with it. As it gets down to the time, there're probably some guys I'll have to really scrutinise.

Yeah, I was just wondering how much you'd seen. I love his 1979 WWF run and stuff with Slaughter, but there isn't much footage available sadly from before that -- a bit of silent stuff from early 70s San Francisco.

I want to rank him as highly as possible, but lack of footage limits him for me.

I don't know if this frowned upon, or not, but I'm also factoring in his stuff with Stevens.

Typically we go on footage we've seen not just on rep.

As far as I know, there isn't any Patterson / Stevens stuff on tape so vast majority of people never saw them.

The hype around Ray Stevens has been of interest to me because it's not really in evidence from what we see of him later in his career. I started reviewing what we have of his team with Bock from AWA here: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/30606-ray-stevens-nick-bockwinkel/