Pro Wrestling Only

Who is in Your Top 100 Right Now?

Superstar Sleeze

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "probably on the list" workers are; Ted Dibiase, Mike Rotunda, Greg Valentine, Sasha Banks, Chris Benoit, Ron Simmons, Steve Keirn, Nick Bockwinkel, Madusa Micelli, Scott Hall and Kevin Sullivan.

My "should put on the list but won't" workers are; Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, Sean Waltman and Jimmy Valiant.

Scott Hall and Jimmy Valiant have just traded places. I've reverted to a catch-all anti-Kliq policy.

Ok... These are ranked... But the list and rankings change daily... Some can still make considerable leaps... I haven't completely double checked that everyone on the list is actually nominated yet... And I know for certain I've forgotten personal favorites, so new names will join (and maybe even quite high). So there's still a lot of pondering, thinking and rethinking to go. But it's getting closer every day.

I may have glaring omissions in Japan, but the two main areas I feel the least confident about so far is lucha (I'm trying, but it's just not my favorite style... I do have a number of luchas on my list, though. But maybe some should be way higher) and joshi (female wrestlers in general. I only have two on the list. Bull and Aja. I'm open for checking out more).

I'd love to hear thoughts from the forum. I don't mind comments on who people think I've overrated (Savage, Bret, Steamboat and many others I'm sure), but I can't really use that for anything. I can absolutely use comments on who I've ranked too low in peoples eyes, and a couple of mathces that make the case (even if I've seen the matches before, I'll check out the best arguments for a wrestler... I'm always for sale for the best argument). No reason to make the case for Volk Han though. Tried to stay awake through 7 or 8 of his matches. No luck yet :-) ... Maybe I could be swayed to add Carlos Colon. Am going through his feud with Hansen and I'm liking Colon for the first time ever. So maybe, if there's anything else in particular I should watch or rewatch of his ... I could also be swayed on post-2000 talent, if someone makes a strong enough case for someone. I don't feel confident about a lot of those guys yet.

I don't have Chris Benoit. If he was a contender for my top 50 his out of ring actions maybe wouldn't keep him off my list. But at best I'd have him around 80-90, so it was really easy for me to just not go down that road at all.

Bobby Heenan is my nr. 100... I think he would also be my nr. 150 on a top 150... I just really like having him there.

Anyways, here goes:

1 Ric Flair 2 Randy Savage 3 Stan Hansen 4 Terry Funk 5 Jumbo Tsuruta 6 Bret Hart 7 Mitsuhara Misawa 8 Toshiaki Kawada 9 Ricky Steamboat 10 Jushin Liger 11 Rey Mysterio Jr. 12 Jerry Lawler 13 Nick Bockwinkel 14 Eddie Guerrero 15 John Cena 16 Kenta Kobashi 17 Daniel Bryan 18 Negro Casas 19 Bobby Eaton 20 Steve Austin 21 El Hijo Del Santo 22 Steven Regal 23 Buddy Rose 24 Big Van Vader 25 Genichiro Tenryu 26 Sgt. Slaughter 27 Curt Hennig 28 Tatsumi Fujinami 29 Arn Anderson 30 Ted DiBiase 31 Akira Taue 32 CM Punk 33 Rick Martel 34 Brock Lesnar 35 Brian Pillman 36 Andre the Giant 37 Jack Briscoe 38 Greg Valentine 39 Billy Robinson 40 Barry Windham 41 The Destroyer 42 Dustin Rhodes 43 Rick Rude 44 Tully Blanchard 45 El Dandy 46 Owen Hart 47 Satanico 48 Fit Finlay 49 Riki Choshu 50 Harley Race 51 Bill Dundee 52 2 Cold Scorpio 53 Kevin Owens 54 Jim Breaks 55 Cesaro 56 Hiroshi Hase 57 Dean Malenko 58 El Generico 59 Shinya Hashimoto 60 Lex Luger 61 Bob Orton Jr. 62 Yoshiaki Fujiwara 63 The Dynamite Kid 64 Bull Nakano 65 Ron Garvin 66 Kensuke Sasaki 67 AJ Styles 68 Giant Baba 69 Butch Reed 70 Villano III 71 Kerry Von Erich 72 Yoshiaki Yatsu 73 Aja Kong 74 Roddy Piper 75 Adrian Adonis 76 Ricky Morton 77 Sangre Chicana 78 Jerry Blackwell 79 Pat Patterson 80 Hulk Hogan 81 Pirata Morgan 82 El Samurai 83 Samoa Joe 84 Dory Funk Jr. 85 Perro Aguayo 86 Tito Santana 87 MS-1 88 Jun Akiyama 89 Jake Roberts 90 Shawn Michaels 91 Davey Boy Smith 92 Michael Hayes 93 Bruno Sammartino 94 Atlantis 95 Bob Backlund 96 The Undertaker 97 Blue Panther 98 Keiji Muto 99 LA Park 100 Bobby Heenan

80 Hulk Hogan 88 Jun Akiyama

Any reasons for Hogan above Akiyama? Not being judgmental just curious because Jun is just outside my Top 10 right now while Hogan would be nowhere near a list like this for me.

Absolutely! One very good reason!!! ... A major fucking glitch in the matrix... Akiyama won't come close to my top 10, but he's absolutely going higher than 88. I have scrambled this list around endlessly, so my butterfingers have fucked a few rankings I see. Akiyama is higher, Panther is higher. LA Park is close to dropping off the list. Hogan is lower, Piper is lower, Undertaker might drop off the list again. ... I'm always interested in the best argument, so I'd gladly take a closer look at Akiyama, if you think he could go all the way to the edge of the top 10. I'm pretty up to date on his 90's stuff. I definetely see him as more than just a sidekick there. Really like a lot of that stuff. I'm not super well versed in his post-2000 stuff. I'll have another look at some of the links in his nominations thread, but if there's anything in particular you think makes his case, then please let me know. For me right now, I see him around 40-50. But if the case is strong, I could go a little higher. No clue what the fuck happened to place him at 88... But in general (not just with Akiyama): I'm stronger on anything pre-2000 than anything post. So any guidance there is more than welcome. I'm not sure the last 5 years are going to have too much of an influence. Stuff needs to stand the test of time a little more. But like others my age range, I guess I can't pretend that 2000 was only 5 years ago anymore :-)

Any reasons for Hogan above Akiyama? Not being judgmental just curious because Jun is just outside my Top 10 right now while Hogan would be nowhere near a list like this for me.

Absolutely! One very good reason!!! ... A major fucking glitch in the matrix... Akiyama won't come close to my top 10, but he's absolutely going higher than 88. I have scrambled this list around endlessly, so my butterfingers have fucked a few rankings I see. Akiyama is higher, Panther is higher. LA Park is close to dropping off the list. Hogan is lower, Piper is lower, Undertaker might drop off the list again. ... I'm always interested in the best argument, so I'd gladly take a closer look at Akiyama, if you think he could go all the way to the edge of the top 10. I'm pretty up to date on his 90's stuff. I definetely see him as more than just a sidekick there. Really like a lot of that stuff. I'm not super well versed in his post-2000 stuff. I'll have another look at some of the links in his nominations thread, but if there's anything in particular you think makes his case, then please let me know. For me right now, I see him around 40-50. But if the case is strong, I could go a little higher. No clue what the fuck happened to place him at 88... But in general (not just with Akiyama): I'm stronger on anything pre-2000 than anything post. So any guidance there is more than welcome. I'm not sure the last 5 years are going to have too much of an influence. Stuff needs to stand the test of time a little more. But like others my age range, I guess I can't pretend that 2000 was only 5 years ago anymore :-)

The near Top 10 thing was referring more to my list so that is probably too much of a leap but I would recommend more to see if he can make 25-50. Like you said, his 1990's stuff is awesome but he is arguably the best Japanese wrestler since 2000: great in big matches, against lower ranked opponents, in tags. A ton of variety and many high quality matches. http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/32874-jimmy-redmans-boot-camp/ includes some recommendations for him.

Edit: The 2000+ thing reinforced by Childs.

Great. Thanks, guys. Recommendations from the board is what I'm looking for now. There's still time until the deadline to properly check out a few grey areas. And I'm pretty confident on 90's Akiyama, but his post-2000 stuff is now at the top of my "to watch" list. Am checking out your suggestion of the 2004 Kobashi match, which I definetely haven't seen before. Holy shit. He's grown a lot as a worker. This is something I need to see more of. Awesome. And thanks again for the heads up. Stuff like this makes the whole GOAT project worthwhile to me!

The near Top 10 thing was referring more to my list so that is probably too much of a leap but I would recommend more to see if he can make 25-50. Like you said, his 1990's stuff is awesome but he is arguably the best Japanese wrestler since 2000: great in big matches, against lower ranked opponents, in tags. A ton of variety and many high quality matches. http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/32874-jimmy-redmans-boot-camp/ includes some recommendations for him.

Edit: The 2000+ thing reinforced by Childs.

Thanks again, guys. Have seen 10 Akiyama matches the past day. He's climbing steadily.

• 1 month later...