pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Jericho working Okada too. I wonder if there's a formal relationship there or if they're just letting the guys work Japan until the TV starts in autumn.

At least Jericho and Omega (and Mox, apparently) have deals that allows them to work NJ. I wonder if the booking which really inherit from the NJ stuff (first Jericho vs Omega match) will keep on taking this element in account. I mean, I doubt Jericho wins the IWGP title at Dominion, so what's to follow for Omega and him down the road in AEW is pretty fascinating. I'd have Jericho win the first title, he's the biggest name, he's the heel, money's in the chase. 

Really, I know loyalty is a thing, but I don't see what's NJ has to win from a partnership with ROH at this point. Yeah, they have Bandido for the Super J Cup. But apart from this ? 

NJPW's relationship with ROH is completely one-sided, though. They're perfectly willing to stab ROH in the back when it suits them, like when they allowed Liger to work NXT the same day as Field of Honor. The only business partner they're loyal to is CMLL. Regardless, I hope the partnership continues so we can see Jeff Cobb in the G1.

Moxley being Juice's opponent was a legitimate surprise, and a pleasant one at that. I just hope he's more motivated than he has been his last few years in WWE.

As far as ROH is concerned, NJPW should just try to nab as much talent as they can and cut their losses. After ROH's showing at MSG and hiring Enzo and Cass, they would be wise to distance themselves as much as possible (although they still have the co-promoted Summerslam show coming up).

29 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Regardless, I hope the partnership continues so we can see Jeff Cobb in the G1.

Yeah, that should be terrific. I just want Cobb, PCO & Brody King signing with AEW as soon as they're done with that waste of time of a promotion.

11 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

NJPW's relationship with ROH is completely one-sided, though. They're perfectly willing to stab ROH in the back when it suits them, like when they allowed Liger to work NXT the same day as Field of Honor. The only business partner they're loyal to is CMLL. Regardless, I hope the partnership continues so we can see Jeff Cobb in the G1.

New Japan didn't "allow" Liger to work NXT strictly speaking, he's essentially a freelancer and can work where he wants, for who he wants, when he wants, without needing to get New Japan to clear it.

It's the same deal that I think Minoru Suzuki is on, where they make New Japan their priority but can still appear on rival promotion's cards, like Suzuki has done with Big Japan, Ryukyu Dragon Pro, etc.

I'm sure they could have asked Liger not to do WWE if they really wanted, but it was a one-off "career milestone" kind of match for a legend that I can't imagine realistically robbed ROH of too many ticket sales. 

Liger isn't a true freelancer, though. He's mostly free to book himself around the world in between tours, but New Japan has some degree of veto power. There's no way he'd be able to work a AAA show on a Friday night in Mexico City, which is probably the closest equivalent to the NXT/ROH situation. If they wanted to prevent him from working a show in direct competition with one of their business partners, they could have.

There are plenty of tickets for the Dallas show available on TicketMaster and on the secondary market, and I've seen some heavy discount codes floating around. I wonder if they'll add Moxley to the card?

(As an aside, if anyone is going to the show, PM me and we'll grab a drink.)

47 minutes ago, Migs said:

Has anyone kept a running list of the key stuff in the BOSJ? I dropped off after the first week and probably will just skip to the finals show, but I'd be curious to go back and watch a bit  after the tour is over.

If you've already seen SHO-Shingo, SHO-Dragon Lee, and Taguchi-Douki (I'm pretty sure all three of those were in the first week), these would be my recommendations:

Rocky-Phantasmo
Ospreay-Phantasmo
Ospreay-Eagles
Dragon Lee-Shingo
Dragon Lee-Titan
Ospreay-Bandido
Dragon Lee-Gresham
Tiger Mask-Gresham
Ospreay-YOH
Ospreay-Romero
SHO-Scurll
Bandido-Eagles

There have been a whole lot of fun matches, but those are probably the essentials. Can't recommend Romero-Phantasmo enough.

Did anyone catch that Moxley vs Juice match? I'll watch it when I'm done with work but I've seen it getting strong feedback online. Hopefully it lives up to that rather than people just being overexcited for his first match out of WWE.

16 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Did anyone catch that Moxley vs Juice match? I'll watch it when I'm done with work but I've seen it getting strong feedback online. Hopefully it lives up to that rather than people just being overexcited for his first match out of WWE.

Really enjoyed it, a wild brawl with Juice putting in the selling performance of a lifetime. Might even have been more impressive than Mox. Mox did bring it though, totally switching up his style from WWE. 

2 hours ago, SmartMark15 said:

The Tanahashi-White rematch was also absolutely excellent, probably my favorite outing of theirs. White gets better with every outing, and this was really fantastic work on his end. 

He always had glimpses but he put it all together today. Big step up for him. 

I watched Moxley vs. Juice earlier and I didn't think it was a MOTYC but I enjoyed it more than any Dean Ambrose singles match ever. Ambrose channeled his inner-Terry Funk/Jerry Lawler and learned how to punch. He tried busting Juice open hardway, succeeded and started biting the cut. No stupid slingshot lariat. When he wasn't trying to punch Juice's head in, he was working the legs including a Texas Cloverleaf and a Bret Hart ringpost figure four. A couple of missed dives by Juice kind of take you out of the match because they were two really big spots but Moxley was bringing it and made me want to see more. Great match.

27 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I watched Moxley vs. Juice earlier and I didn't think it was a MOTYC but I enjoyed it more than any Dean Ambrose singles match ever. Ambrose channeled his inner-Terry Funk/Jerry Lawler and learned how to punch. He tried busting Juice open hardway, succeeded and started biting the cut. No stupid slingshot lariat. When he wasn't trying to punch Juice's head in, he was working the legs including a Texas Cloverleaf and a Bret Hart ringpost figure four. A couple of missed dives by Juice kind of take you out of the match because they were two really big spots but Moxley was bringing it and made me want to see more. Great match.

My exact thought while watching the match was, "Hmmm, he has a little Terry Funk in him." 

Kinda hard to have a better debut than that one for Moxley. I also didn't think it was "MOTYC" level but it was more than worth a watch. The leg work was one of the things I didn't like tbh, Mox did good stuff with it but it was rendered meaningless. Him working the eye brow and trying to bust Juice open was awesome though. Robinson is such a good babyface too, only bump I didn't like was the cannonball on the table, the rest added a lot to the match imo.

Also thought Tana vs White was better, best White match since the one had against Juice in the US last year.

Yeah, put me in with the group who thought it was great but not a MOTYC. It really built nicely, though - at the beginning I figured they were going shorter and was feeling a bit disappointed, but they really took their time and built the drama. Definitely a classic debut.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Kinda hard to have a better debut than that one for Moxley. I also didn't think it was "MOTYC" level but it was more than worth a watch. The leg work was one of the things I didn't like tbh, Mox did good stuff with it but it was rendered meaningless. Him working the eye brow and trying to bust Juice open was awesome though. Robinson is such a good babyface too, only bump I didn't like was the cannonball on the table, the rest added a lot to the match imo.

I actually thought the leg work made perfect sense. It didn't lead to the finish but it didn't have to. When Juice went through the 1st table and started to sell the leg,  I liked that Moxley picked up on it and switched his focus.