Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

Night 1 of the G-1 is this weekend and it completely caught me off guard. I also read that tickets sales have been poor, to the point they are running a small set up (7k or so), I have no clue how legit those claims are but I feel like once again New Japan did a fucking horrible job promoting this show.

For the Cow Palace last year they didn't do anything to promote the show even though they had The Elite guys and for this show they didn't do much even though it has a very big card with big matches.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I checked out the June 17 CHAOS vs. Suzuki-gun elimination tag on a whim, and it turned out to be a bona fide MOTYC. It was the show where they announced the G1 participants, so everybody had their working boots on. There was the obligatory crappy crowd brawling and other Suzuki-gun smoke and mirrors, but other than that, this had everything you want from this kind of match. They went at it for 30-plus minutes with hardly any letdown, everybody got a chance to shine while maintaining a clear sense of hierarchy (Lance Archer in particular looked like a beast), the eliminations were clever without being too cute, and there was plenty of drama in the closing minutes. It's not on par with 80s classics, but it's still well worth going out of your way to see.

Official attendance was 4,846. The really haven't learned shit in the last 2 years about how to promote their shows in the US. This did even worse than the Cow Palace show with a waaay stronger card, main difference was they had Cody vs Omega as the main event that was able to draw more people regardless of non existent/shitty promotion.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Official attendance was 4,846. The really haven't learned shit in the last 2 years about how to promote their shows in the US. This did even worse than the Cow Palace show with a waaay stronger card, main difference was they had Cody vs Omega as the main event that was able to draw more people regardless of non existent/shitty promotion.

Outside of a local ad or two during Raw the last few weeks, local promotion was virtually nil. They were clearly counting on fly-ins but Omega and the Bucks were clearly drawing those. 

They announced a three-show tour last night of the East Coast - Boston (well, Lowell), the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC, and 2300 Arena in Philly. So this failure has clearly scaled down their expectations. 

3 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

Ospreay has a neck injury and will miss the 15th show. Won't have to forfeit any matches yet and there's a chance he's cleared for the 18th as the injury isn't nerve or bone damage.

He has Ibushi and then Okada next up, so hopefully it's not too serious.

33 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Anyone got any thoughts on what the card might be at the London show? I know we need to wait for the G1 to shake out to get a better idea but my friend picked me up a ticket today so the excitement is setting in.

With ZSJ eating the pin against Tanahashi, I find it likely that the RevPro Title will main event with these two competing for it. 

Just now, SmartMark15 said:

With ZSJ eating the pin against Tanahashi, I find it likely that the RevPro Title will main event with these two competing for it. 

That makes sense. I was thinking that or Okada over Ospreay for the IWGP championship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the post show promo, Ibushi said he might challenge Okada on night 1 and then (if he wins) the IC champion on night 2. They could run some really interesting shit between Ibushi/Okada/Naito/White (or whoever is feuding and challenging Naito at WK) for those two big show. If Gedo pulls this off it would be the most inventive thing he's done in forever, I would be awesome if works out that way.