pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, sek69 said:

As a long time follower of the video game industry,  Japanese companies not understanding the market in America is pretty much a feature rather than a bug.  

Except for one importance difference: Japanese-made games are actually successful in the United States - New Japan Pro Wrestling is not.

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Except for one importance difference: Japanese-made games are actually successful in the United States - New Japan Pro Wrestling is not.

Even then, you have companies as big and successful as Nintendo making baffling decisions despite North America being their largest market by far.  Also the more successful companies (Nintendo, Sega, Capcom) have US divisions that while still answering to the Japanese HQ, have some autonomy to decide things that will work best in the US. 

New Japan has the same folks running the Japanese side calling shots for America and that's usually not going to work. They need a separate office staffed with Americans familiar with the NJPW product that can market it properly, with the Japanese side only having veto power if things are too expensive. 

Well... There is the developing angle between Jericho and Tanahashi. Maybe, maybe, maybe that will lead to Tanahashi vs Jericho for the AEW title on the next AEW PPV and maybe maybe maybe maybe breaking from AXS is a precursor to NJPW and AEW cooperating more and more down the line?? The last WotRGRS puts some doubt in my mind about that, though, as there seem to be legit hard feelings lingering over how the Elite guys exit was handled.

But maybe (...) that is part of the smoke screen?

I know it's unlikely but I would absolutely love to see those two companies partner up in a serious way.

If there ever would be any partnership between NJPW and AEW it would probably come from Jericho, since he's the one person who's been a top guy on both sides and doesn't have any ill will towards New Japan. 

It seems that since Jericho mentioned in his announcement post that he talked to Tony about it, you wouldn't name check your boss if you were just working your own angle.  My hope is that Tony tells the Elite guys to get the fuck over themselves and make some money. 

I think that the only notion that they've made official that Tanahashi will get an AEW title shot if he beats Jericho speaks volumes. I might be naive but you don't throw that around if you didn't somehow have the intent to follow through with this. Especially considering how NJPW handles their business very seriously. I tend to see things like @sek69 that Jericho became the voice of reason to try mending fences between both promotions and this could very well be the start of that. Like @gordi also said, the Elite guys know what they're doing online and they've become very good at blurring lines and keeping us on our toes so this might play a big part of it again. I still believe that AEW (at least, The Elite) are NJPW's best potential partners for the expansion in the US for NJPWoA. Way more than an agonizing promotion like ROH, which NJPW doesn't even seem to give a fuck about nowadays.

If New Japan won't be on TV in the US (and maybe isn't pursuing a new deal), does that make it more palatable for AEW to work with them? At that point it doesn't become promoting a competing TV show, it becomes working with a foreign company that's not a U.S. competitor. New Japan doing house shows in the U.S. isn't a big deal in competing with AEW since, well, AEW doesn't do house shows. Might be that everything is lining up for the two companies to be complements to each other in the U.S.

The same thing happened with Dominion last year: They sold out before my friend and I were able to get our act together and go buy tickets. It's possible that only the cheap 2nd floor seats (the only ones in out price range) are sold out... but usually the expensive seats go first, if I remember correctly. 

New Beginning in Osaka has an absolutely cracking card. I really would have been happy to see Mox vs MiSu and Hiromu vs Lee live in person. 

12 hours ago, gordi said:

The same thing happened with Dominion last year: They sold out before my friend and I were able to get our act together and go buy tickets. It's possible that only the cheap 2nd floor seats (the only ones in out price range) are sold out... but usually the expensive seats go first, if I remember correctly. 

New Beginning in Osaka has an absolutely cracking card. I really would have been happy to see Mox vs MiSu and Hiromu vs Lee live in person. 

Yeah, just noting that it seems like usually they have a few tickets left until close to the end, whereas this basically sold out when they announced the card.

And yeah, it's an awesome looking show, particularly Mox-Suzuki.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hell yeah!! I am going to New Beginning in Osaka! Mox vs MiSu live and in person, baby! Good Lord, I am excited about this. My friend's student's friend -who I met once, years ago - had the opportunity to buy cheap sets through his work, and got them specifically to sell to us since he had heard that my friend, - his friend's English teacher - wanted to go. Life in Japan, brother. Never ceases to amaze me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, Robert S said:

How do you get through a 30+ minutes Taichi match?

It's definitely not a match that needed to be 30 minutes long, but they actually did a really good job maximizing their minutes. Taichi repeatedly targeted Okada's injured neck who sold it beautifully as he could never properly follow-up on his normal offense to maintain momentum. And the normal Taichi shenanigans were used rather sparingly and for maximum effect to either swing the match back in his favor or tease a pinfall.

Quite possibly Taichi's best singles match ever as he stepped up big time.

Ospreay-Sabre was definitely the best match of the weekend. Their matches in the past have been really good but tend to be a bit too "go-go-go" at times. They worked a much more methodical pace this time without sacrificing any of their normal spots or offense. Ospreay really showed off his development as a complete wrestler in how he went to the mat with Zack and targeted the leg.