pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, El-P said:

Per Meltz, Hiromu is pushing for the G1 and BOSJ happening at the same time. Which would make for insane cards. Do it ! No one cares about the tag leagues anyway.

That would actually protect the tag leagues, I think. The G1 was lined up for Sept-Oct because of the Olympics, so to do the BOSJ without doing it at the same time as the G1, they'd either need to cut one or both tag leagues or somehow add a tour in August when the Olympics were supposed to screw things up. 

NOAH's Kaito Kiyomiya challenged Okada to a match at the end of their most recent show. Grandstand challenges are obviously nothing new, but they usually take place in magazines and not on shows. A lot of people have been calling for a supershow with all the major promotions once everything opens back up, and if one takes place, that would be one of the marquee matches.

• 2 weeks later...

New Japan is back. Next week, June 15th without a live audience, no card yet. I wonder if Tana got his wish of New Japan being the last entertainment biz to return...

New Japan Cup starts on June 16

Dominion in July will have a limited live audience.

I guess they'll keep the G-1 Climax date considering they'll hopefully be able to run shows with larger crowds to get more revenue. And more talent will probably/hopefully be available.

It's good to have them back. Shingo vs SHO has the potential to steal the tournament, they had a low-key MOTYC last year. I reckon SANADA is going to win the whole thing and I actually think that Okada will go out in the second round to Suzuki.

Ishii-Desperado was indeed great stuff. Not surprising because Ishii, but Desperado continues to step up in these showcase matches. He seemed destined for a push in BOSJ, so we'll see what happens. Honma-Hiromu was also better than it had any right to be because Honma really looks like he shouldn't be wrestling. Jado was also in really bad shape. I know they have a limited roster now, but those spots could have easily gone to a young lion and Douki.

Today was easily the best card of the tournament thus far. Shingo-SHO was a banger as expected. From the Champion Carnival-onward, this is the best that Shingo has ever been in his career. Taguchi-SANADA did a bit too much comedy in the beginning, but once they turned things up Big Match Taguchi delivered. This Ibushi-Sabre match was probably their "worst" but was still good. Just such great chemistry but I feel as though it could have benefited from a few more minutes. Taichi-Tanahashi was a bit too overbooked but was still enjoyable.

Tomorrow's card doesn't look great, but Kojima-EVIL could be a real hoot and YOSHI-HASHI tends to over-achieve in tournaments.

• 2 weeks later...

I have enjoyed the cup so far, but Okada has been underwhelming throughout to me. I saw some complaints about Okada beating Takahashi on Twitter, with people feeling he could have taken a loss here, but I am glad they didn't pull the trigger on that moment with no crowds.