Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

Yeah, Gedo has earned my trust at this point with how Jay White and Okada were almost instantly rehabilitated after slow starts so I am definitely willing to give it a chance. And yeah, Okada has been disappointing this tournament, especially the Nagata match. His matches with the New Japan oldies are some of the more underrated in recent years so I was so hyped for it, but he was so dull. Thankfully he was great against Hiromu.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually liked Okada-Nagata quite a bit, thought it deviated from his formula. The Gedo and Taiji matches were fine for what they were, just had too much BC overbooking. But yeah, the Hiromu match ruled. Some folks seemed to think it underwhelmed and I suppose it could have been a tighter, more fast-paced match but what we got was pretty great.

10 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

I actually liked Okada-Nagata quite a bit, thought it deviated from his formula. The Gedo and Taiji matches were fine for what they were, just had too much BC overbooking. But yeah, the Hiromu match ruled. Some folks seemed to think it underwhelmed and I suppose it could have been a tighter, more fast-paced match but what we got was pretty great.

Yeah, I don't think it underwhelmed at all, especially when worked with no crowd. That match feels way different if you have a crowd losing its mind on the Hiromu near-falls, and then being brought up and crushed by the finish. Great match, certainly the best of the tournament.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it underwhelmed as much as it was almost a cruel tease of how hot it could have been. It's why as the match was happening, I kept hoping that Okada went over. 

Okada definitely is someone whose work "needs" the crowd than some other wrestlers. His offence is not brutal as much as it is almost graceful, and it's something that really needs a crowd going apeshit for it. 

Okada vs EVIL wasn't bad, but far and away their worst match together. These two work so much better together in the G1. The BC run-in was also really weird, unless it's going to lead to something bigger.

EDIT: Literally five minutes later. I should be more patient.

5 hours ago, kas said:

Okada vs EVIL wasn't bad, but far and away their worst match together. These two work so much better together in the G1. The BC run-in was also really weird, unless it's going to lead to something bigger.

EDIT: Literally five minutes later. I should be more patient.

Haha. I figured that meant he was joining but the reveal was still really well-done. I agree that the match was solid but definitely their worst. The Okada Special is a reliable formula, but the overbooking and lack of a hot finishing stretch hurt it. I was fine with the Cobra Clutch but I think it's time to drop it.

32 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Is KENTA ill or hurt?  Sidelined out of COVID-concerns on his part?  I don't recall if his absence has been addressed.

He lives in Florida, can't get into the country without a significant quarantine. My assumption has been that they're saving the gaijin for the G1, when there's probably big enough houses to justify flying everyone in early, putting them up, etc.

5 minutes ago, Migs said:

He lives in Florida, can't get into the country without a significant quarantine. My assumption has been that they're saving the gaijin for the G1, when there's probably big enough houses to justify flying everyone in early, putting them up, etc.

Thanks, didn't realize he still resided here.  Hopefully they're able to bring in the big names for October.

Naito must suffer. Can't believe he's never had a proper iwgp reign.

EDIT: Letting the initial shock wear off, I thought the main event was decent, better than the Okada match. Both matches desperately needed a proper crowd to react to everything going on. Shingo vs SHO was a banger as expected, and the tag match was MOTN, great to see it get so much time. That ending where they just destroy Tanahashi was amazing. Good show overall.

Dick Togo! Holy crap. And yeah, while I figured EVIL had a much better chance to win now that jumped ship, still was not expecting that result. I like that they're doing something different, but it's unfortunate Naito never got a proper reign. Not to mention 30+ minute EVIL matches are not something I'm particularly looking forward to.