Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

If they're doing an EVIL reign, they really need to get these main events back down to 20-25 minutes. No one needs a 35 minute EVIL match. The Dick Togo reveal was wild, though, and might lead to another Bullet Club civil war thing down the line?

The tag title match was definitely the match of the night, and a lot of fun. Not a classic, but definitely a unique structure, good build, great finishing sequence.

Also, I'm guessing it's definitely going to be a while before we see the gaijin if Yujiro f'n Takahashi gets two pins and lays out Okada. Not looking forward to whatever singles matches come from that.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this was 3 years ago I would've been fuming, not gonna lie. But at this point I don't care like that anymore, I enjoy New Japan for what it is: some matchups that look dope on paper and normally deliver.

EVIL winning screams Nakanishi winning in 09'. Just like a decade ago, Gedo threw a monkey wrench to what was supposed to be a big title run for the most popular guy in the company after he won a huge match at WK (Tanahashi beating Mutoh for the belt after his invader run) and gave the strap to a midcard dude as a big swerve because New Japan had to cancel Fantastica Mania. Now with the pandemic, he does this big swerve angle with EVIL. We'll see if this shit has legs or if he'll give Naito an immediate rematch so he can get it back, just like Tana did in 09'. What's funny though is that after Tana got the belt back, he got injured and had to forfeit the belt :lol: and because of that, he had to wait till 2011 to get his legit big Ace run with the title. Naito wont have that kind of wait, as he already had it after WK 12 :russ:

And of course, it's hilarious that the wrestler chosen for this spoiler role was EVIL and not Ishii (who would be perfect for a "thank you" title reign like Nakanishi had). And if Gedo just wanted to force a BC/LIJ swerve, then fucking use Shingo, or even Sanada.

Also tragic how they went 38 fucking minutes. Fucking hell. If this EVIL run has more than 1 defense, I at least hope he brings back 20 minute title matches. But It's hard picturing Naito not getting it back or Okada coming to the rescue (LMAO if that's the case) ASAP.

They probably went with EVIL cause they feel like they need to create a new young main eventer, but SANADA is right there man. How much better would it have been if SANADA was in this role? SANADA finally beats Okada in a meaningful match and goes on to be double champ. I say all this as a fan of EVIL's, he is not ready for the main event. 

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Oh, and I hope they let Togo show the world and a new generation how fucking awesome he is.

He's one who I've really watched a lot of over the past 7-8 months and become a really big fan. Really one of those guys who you can put in any match type against any opponent and get something at least "pretty good". So many matches of him on Youtube against random dudes in front of maybe 100 people and still be pretty entertaining.

I also wouldn't be surprised if EVIL was a transitional champ like Jay was last year. Give him the big title win to pay off the push and solidify him as main eventer before transitioning back to Okada or Naito.

1 hour ago, kas said:

They probably went with EVIL cause they feel like they need to create a new young main eventer, but SANADA is right there man. How much better would it have been if SANADA was in this role? SANADA finally beats Okada in a meaningful match and goes on to be double champ. I say all this as a fan of EVIL's, he is not ready for the main event. 

Or even Shingo would make more sense. 

This to me is like if WCW strapped Disco Inferno in 1998. That's how far removed from the main event EVIL feels like to me.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Or even Shingo would make more sense. 

This to me is like if WCW strapped Disco Inferno in 1998. That's how far removed from the main event EVIL feels like to me.

I don't quite agree with this comp mainly because EVIL has had at least a few flirtations with ME status. He's challenged for the title before and challenged Ibushi for the briefcase last year. So it was somewhat of a possibility he would receive a push, just not quite this sudden.

Not saying Shingo wouldn't have been a far better option though.

55 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I got the feeling that they are working on the assumption they won't be able to use anyone who isn't already in Japan for a while and decided to go all in on elevating some of the native talent. 

That's my initial read as well, as if you think KENTA, White & Ospreay are making it back within a couple months there's no reason to hot shot this. 

After nearly a decade of delivering both booking and in-ring I'm more than willing to see how this plays out, but despite his KOPW match with Okada a couple years back and a few other moments generally built around the G1, Evil's felt like someone with a firm ceiling below the top level.  I certainly prefer him to Sanada who always comes off to me as the most blase, by the numbers name in NJPW except when he's in with Okada.  Consider me curious.

Both Evil (obviously) and Taichi's wins came off as Gedo deciding we need to solidify these guys as top players right F'N now.  If were's being honest, seeing Taichi being put so hard over Tanahashi and Ibushi surprised me more than Evil. I never saw him as anything more than the guy to take the fall in six mans, and maybe get some wins over the Young Lions on their way up. I have to admit, dude more than held his own in there and looked good. I still think the gimmick is silly but I can allow that's probably because it's more cultural based on how big idols are in Japan. 

The fact they actually are doing a champ vs champ but it's not Takahashi vs Naito (and again, they chose EVIL??) is even more puzzling. Feels like Gedo went "if we can only get 1/3 capacity in every building, I'll just book to get those numbers. When we are at full capacity I'll got back to the big guys"...or something.

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

The fact they actually are doing a champ vs champ but it's not Takahashi vs Naito (and again, they chose EVIL??) is even more puzzling. Feels like Gedo went "if we can only get 1/3 capacity in every building, I'll just book to get those numbers. When we are at full capacity I'll got back to the big guys"...or something.

Feels like there's definitely something to that idea. Trying to get the shows hot enough for their new TV contract while saving the things that can really draw money. The Okada match feels like Hogan wrestling Volkoff for a quick pop on a Saturday Night's Main Event.

Okada vs Yujiro sounds like something booked as the starting point for Okada righting the ship and climbing back up the mountain again. 

Speaking of, there's something ironic about Yujiro getting a push when Pieter isn't around. His act loses so much without her. Nothing lamer than a pimp with no women.

Dick Togo showing up in 2020 IWGP title scene is certainly up there for WTF moments.

Probably the same as some of the weird Jan 4 Tokyo Dome main event results, I get it and I trust Gedo has a plan or whatever, but it doesn't work for me and I'm not interested in EVIL as a champion and all the interference and bullshit in the main event. Not what I want in my pro wrestling and specifically NJPW. But that chicken has left the coop long ago.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:56 AM, MoS said:

It would honestly be pretty boring if Okada is the one who ends EVIL's reign. 

That's the first thing that popped into my head, actually. Okada wins the G1 and wins the titles from EVIL. It's just like last year when White upset Tanahashi a month after WK, and was just keeping the strap warm for Okada.