Current New Japan

pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The setting, big baseball stadium with tons of empty seats, the sunset, the city buildings in the back, warmed my little heart of 90's japanese indy sleaze fan.

Quite a fine show with two excellent/great matches in Shingo vs Suzuki beating each other to the sounds of cicadas and Hiromu vs Ishimori killing it (and themselves), while the tag match was also very good (although ZSJ in this setting really doesn't get to shine as much as in singles matches) and the opener was solid and fun (Kanemaru is so underrated, a low-key excellent worker for more than 20 years). Yano pinning Okada was fun and honestly, him getting stupid stip matches for his little title works for me.

The main event however, was only slightly better than the Dominion match and this whole Bullet Club thousand run-ins and idiotic ref bumps is basically Double J Special level of annoying and stupid (that final ref "bump" was embarrassing, still he sells it for ever while four guys are jumping in the ring, the only thing missing is a guitar shot with tons of debris in the ring) . So sick of this shit in NJPW main events matches (I'm dreading all Bullet Club guys matches in the G1). EVIL was never a very compelling worker (he really shined last year in G1 I thought, but that was the only time), but in this version he's just plain boring as fuck, especially in overlong main events, where he absolutely doesn't belong. Dick Togo is useless, hell, you even had Gedo run in at the end so why is he even there ? Get Miho Abe back on the shows instead ! Anyway, the EVIL push to the top has been a complete failure to me and a legit turn-off. Naito is totally damaged goods at this point too, he looked like the greatest wrestler in the world three years ago but seems like in another life almost. Have Ibushi win the G1 and put the belt on his ass already.

For the sake of his legacy, I still want Naito to have a decently long reign with like 2 or 3 successful defences. Plus it's not as if he's awful or business will go down while he's the champ. He's still their most popular guy and can still produce quality matches. But you're right in saying that Ibushi should hold the belt next. 

14 minutes ago, kas said:

Okada vs Shingo and Ibushi vs Shingo, fuck yes. Shingo's gonna steal the G1 once again.

The A Block is insane. Ospreay vs Suzuki!!! Plus rematches of a ton of stuff that's delivered in the past. The B Block is about equal from a star power perspective but way weaker in terms of matches I'm excited for.

Only real disappointment is no Hiromu. Like seriously, why Yujiro? Even Makabe would've been better. Or give Kojima another shot. Or Dick Togo.

I dont expect Ibushi to win as they typically dont do the same winner two years in a row, but Ibushi-Tanahashi would make sense as a final given their tension. Otherwise Okada vs. EVIL seems likely.

I'm a little disappointed we aren't getting SHO and Hiromu in there but their time will come. I'm stoked as hell about the A Block like everyone else but there'll be some nice matches in B Block as well. 

They've been setting up an Tanahashi vs Ibushi feud for a while so that's a potential final I think. Or maybe Jay White vs EVIL with a Bullet Club explodes storyline, but I think they'll save that for the Dome.

That A block is out of this world.  If crowds don't have to watch silently it could produce some absolute classics in a year that hasn't seen a real MOTYC since winter.  

I'm a little surprised how stacked it is relative to the B block.  Never mind dropping Shingo's first matches against Okada & Ibushi along with Ishii & Ospreay rematches, its much more top heavy from a booking perspective.  I don't see a third Evil/Naito title match in the fall so presumably Naito wins that, though its certainly possible Evil still takes the block before falling to Okada or Ibushi the finals.  

Only 10 days away!  Between the fresh matches and returns of Ospreay, White, Cobb, KENTA & Juice it looks like a real killer of a tour, as per usual.

1 hour ago, Makai Club #1 said:

B Block is good but I don't see much magic there besides Juice and Tanahashi. A Block looks tremendous. It has the worst two guys in the G1 but the top matches have the potential to be outstanding, blow-away matches. 

I'd say Yujiro is the worst guy in the whole thing. I think I'd rather have Fale than him.

I just watched the Tanahashi vs Naito block final from 2017 so I'm pumped for those two to hook it up again, even though I doubt they'll be able to push their bodies in the same way 3 years on. 

I take Yujiro over Fale in the G1 any day because you know Yujiro ain't gonna win shit so there won't be some really stupid "upset" win by Fale like every other year (expect the year where he got DQ'd all the time in fuck finishes, which was equally annoying but at least he didn't end up with a big score). 

Block A is awesome on paper, although Cobb has been exposed last year as being not nearly as good as his hype (to me he was never better than as Matanza Cueto).

Block B is much weaker (EVIL has turned into a change the channel guy to me since joining the Bullet Club, SANADA will never reach his potential, Goto is kinda boring). I wonder how good Tanahashi will do, he looked totally shot in his last appearances. Great worker still, but physically shot...

32 minutes ago, kas said:

Tanahashi may be broken down, but he remains one of the best storytellers in wrestling. His G1 last year was my favourite of his and I have no doubt he's going to be B block's MVP.

Agreed.  I'm not going to doubt the man until he has a run where he looks clearly shot, and his recent G1 and big show outings have yet to make that case.  Its been a few years since the Naito feud so that and the KENTA pairing look the best on paper, but there's only so much intrigue with him against the rest of the block.  I'm sure the G1 plans were ironed out months ago but Tana as the final boss for the A block winner, or even winning the briefcase but losing it before WK if you want to get really aggressive, sound promising.

3 hours ago, kas said:

Fale has at least shown an ability to be carried. He's had many good matches with the likes of Okada, Shibata, Tanahashi, Nagata, and Nakamura. Outside of the Ishii match in 2014, Yujiro has been awful.

Problem with Fale is he's not good enough to go over anybody of worth but he's too big to ever lose clean. Booking Fale in these tournaments require some creativity as keeping Fale a monster heel and a threat to beat top guys while never actually having pinned a top guy is very tricky. 

14 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Anyone watching the IWGP Jr. Tag Title tourney?  It feels like everyone involved is going through the motions with nothing all that interesting even at the top of the card.  The Chaos undercard matches and Tanabushi/SZKG tags have been better watches.

Yeah, nothing has been truly terrible but there's really nothing to recommend. To be fair, the best aspects of the Jr Tag division (Phantasmo teaming with Ishimori, Ospreay and Eagles) aren't there. They have a ton of guys in NJ USA that could at least spice up a tournament like this, but there's just no sizzle to any of these matchups.