pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

I would assume that a seven year deal would have some kind of cancellation clause.

That doesn’t tend to be how contracts work.

7 year contracts also don’t tend to be the way NJ does business. Most likely case is that Meltzer’s 3rd hand story of how long White’s contract is incorrect. 

Still just an angle though, and a pretty obvious one.

42 minutes ago, NJPWThoughts said:

That doesn’t tend to be how contracts work.

In sports they actually often do. Just some very common examples from football (the real one):

- a contract last x years, but the club and/or the played has the option to extend the contract by a year or two at the end of the initial period

- a contract is cancelled if a player does not play x number of games within a season (often used by clubs to be able to get rid of players suspected to be injury prone or when hiring players where they are not 100% sure about their quality)

- a player can leave at any time (well, usually there are two windows per year) if he gets an offer from a club playing in a higher or better league or similar (or maybe getting an offer from a club that offers him a salary of at least x)

- a player can leave if he finds a club willing to pay a fixed sum

The third example could actually be how it might be for Jay: he might be able to get out of this contract if he gets an offer from WWE (maybe with some side conditions like he can only do that after 3 years of his contract are over). I mean I agree with you, most likely the story itself is not true or White was stretching the truth, just saying.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, NintendoLogic said:

Don't even entertain for a second the idea that New Japan could match WWE in a bidding war. They take in $50 million in a good year, and that's only a fraction of what WWE grosses in a quarter. All they can really promise is more creative fulfillment and lack of culture shock/language barrier for the natives.

New Japan is owned by Bushiroad, which is worth somewhere between $9-10 billon dollars. They *could* match WWE in a bidding war if they wanted to but would most likely never do so because that's not really how Japanese business works,  Not to mention breaking the bank for one person would set the expectations higher for the entire roster, which can quickly lead to a "Nash and Hall signing with WCW" situation where suddenly you have an arms race where everyone wants to be the highest paid person. 

21 hours ago, Robert S said:

In sports they actually often do. Just some very common examples from football (the real one):

- a contract last x years, but the club and/or the played has the option to extend the contract by a year or two at the end of the initial period

- a contract is cancelled if a player does not play x number of games within a season (often used by clubs to be able to get rid of players suspected to be injury prone or when hiring players where they are not 100% sure about their quality)

- a player can leave at any time (well, usually there are two windows per year) if he gets an offer from a club playing in a higher or better league or similar (or maybe getting an offer from a club that offers him a salary of at least x)

- a player can leave if he finds a club willing to pay a fixed sum

The third example could actually be how it might be for Jay: he might be able to get out of this contract if he gets an offer from WWE (maybe with some side conditions like he can only do that after 3 years of his contract are over). I mean I agree with you, most likely the story itself is not true or White was stretching the truth, just saying.

You shouldn’t compare contracts unionized pro sports to pro wrestling, or any other industry for that matter.

I can guarantee you that NJ does not have a “you can go to WWE if they make an offer you like” clause in their contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the Great O-Khan should have curly-toed boots or furry boots, is what I took out of the Mongolian Chop match with Tenzan.
Not expecting much from this card but it's on at a friendly time. Big Bash Cricket on the idiot box and NJPW on the desktop. Can't go wrong.

Kojima and Ospreay working a TLC match is weird. Does Ospreay's spine need to be doing this against Kojima of all people?
Run Baba Run @ 9/1in the seventh at Cranbourne on the laptop....led early, faded badly. I'll try get me dollar back with Luchador @ 4/1 in the ninth at the Gardens :)

Shingo-Tanahashi was indeed great. Tana's longevity is insane and Shingo could be the best wrestler in the world today.

O-Khan-Tenzan was a lot better than I expected. Nice to see the Dads pull out a solid performance every once in a while. Still, I don't get the hype surrounding O-Khan or why I should be excited about him getting a title shot.

I wasn't feeling it until very late in the match, but they sure got me at the end. Great match indeed.

Post-match however was garbage. They sure did not give the belt to Tana so he can pass it to that complete waste of space and time that is Great O-Khan, right ? That would be such a downer.  And I'm so tired of every babyface celebration at the end of the show turning into a sneak attack, it's beyond tired (and honestly frustrating for the fans, send the people happy already).

Question, is O-Khan just really green so we haven't seen what he's capable of yet ala Jay White in 2017 or Nakamura in 2003? Or is he limited yet capable of shining in situations that play to his strengths like Evil or Makabe or Fale? Or is he just bad like, hopelessly bad like Captain New Japan or Chase Owens? 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:21 PM, joeg said:

Question, is O-Khan just really green so we haven't seen what he's capable of yet ala Jay White in 2017 or Nakamura in 2003? Or is he limited yet capable of shining in situations that play to his strengths like Evil or Makabe or Fale? Or is he just bad like, hopelessly bad like Captain New Japan or Chase Owens? 

It's a little early to tell, but I trend towards that second one. Although, part of his problem is that I'm not exactly sure of his strengths - he's not big and impressive like Fale, his gimmick isn't as cool as Evil was for a time. 

15 hours ago, Migs said:

All the main events were overly long, 

I've watched Hiromu vs Sho and yeah, you can scratch EASILY 15mn out of it. The first 15 minutes were basically wasting time with a totally aimless and neverending elbow exchanges and then two big spots outsides for fake drama purposes. And by fake drama I mean, no one ever wins a match by count out in NJPW, yet they do that "count goes to 19 and..... guy gets back in" every time. Ok, whatever, it's a trope. But they did it no less than 3 times in those first 15 minutes. Somewhere there's an excellent 17mn match buried in here, but the one thing going so long did for me was expose Sho as someone who just is not that great (he can do lot of stuff because of his physical abilities, but really he wasn't very compelling to watch out of himself, as it was obvious Takahashi was the one carrying the match from A to Z), which I don't think is the point. And kayfabe wise, you get the longest IWGP Jr. title match ever involving Sho ? Seriously now ? That doesn't make Hiromu look strong at all and that doesn't make this match go epic and legendary, it makes the whole thing just self-conscious about going way long for the sake of it.

Considering the feedback, I'm not even sure I want to watch Ibushi vs Sanada, which I was quite interested in after WK.

I wonder if this year is gonna end up being like last year, a great WK show (well, two of them), a great G1 Climax and really disappointing stuff in between with bad, repetitive booking with bullshit galore, and overlong matches.

51 minutes ago, El-P said:

Considering the feedback, I'm not even sure I want to watch Ibushi vs Sanada, which I was quite interested in after WK.

To be clear, this didn't end up being some 45 minute slog, but it even at just under a half hour I thought it could have been trimmed and just kinda never got into full gear. Zack Sabre on commentary was fairly amusing, though.

22 hours ago, Migs said:

To be clear, this didn't end up being some 45 minute slog, but it even at just under a half hour I thought it could have been trimmed and just kinda never got into full gear.

Well, your comment encouraged me to watch it after all, and I enjoyed it much more than the Hiromu vs Sho match. The bolded part, yeah, it's been an issue of a lot of SANADA's big matches, although it doesn't bother me that much. He has that very old-school NJ feel to his work, probably stemming from the fact he's a Mutoh disciple, with some matwork to start the match and a submission hold which is pretty derivative from Fujinami (without the urgency though, and it kinda hurts the perception of the ending stretch when they stay too long in the spot). Overall I thought it was really good, although the awful looking TKO spot outside took me out of it for a moment. The fact SANADA can get a (and the only legit one to me) nearfall using the fucking Backlund finisher in 2021 is pretty cool. Ibushi has this thing where he really works toward the style of his opponent, which is also why I believe it did not kick into high gear.

Overall, a cool first little title defense for Ibushi. I wonder if they really are gonna split up the titles again though with this defense of the IC against Naito (too soon to do that one again, uh ?)