Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

Given how well they sold tickets for Ibushi-Ospreay and Shingo-Ospreay, definitely makes sense to keep going with the fresher guys in the main event spots for now. The bigger question is whether they can find something interesting for Okada to do in the meantime, which they've really struggled with. Maybe they flip today's matches and he works against Cobb in Ospreay's place? That could probably main event one of the (numerous) minor shows they have coming up.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Migs said:

Given how well they sold tickets for Ibushi-Ospreay and Shingo-Ospreay, definitely makes sense to keep going with the fresher guys in the main event spots for now. The bigger question is whether they can find something interesting for Okada to do in the meantime, which they've really struggled with. Maybe they flip today's matches and he works against Cobb in Ospreay's place? That could probably main event one of the (numerous) minor shows they have coming up.

He's my pick to win the G1, but that's still a few months away. A feud with Cobb works.

4 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

He's my pick to win the G1, but that's still a few months away. A feud with Cobb works.

I think that's pretty likely... Okada vs. whoever the champion is probably remains their strongest possible Dome main event. Just hoping he's not ice cold going into it.

Shingo is my favourite NJPW guy to watch these days, so ecstatic about the result. I had hoped for it, but given Gedo's history of not pulling the trigger on new guys until 2 years too late, I was very circumspect about it. Really happy to be proven wrong

Finish was real interesting. I can't think of any non-young lions matches that didn't have an extended finishing sequence unless it was a flash pin/sub OUTTA NOWHERE in many years. Certainly not in a main event title match, and certainly not in an Okada match. That might have been more surprising than the actual result itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Young Lion matches for these Kizuna Road shows have been pretty fun. I wouldn't say you necessarily need to go out of your way to see them, but I would recommend checking out Suzuki-Uemura and Okada-Tsuji if you have the chance. If anything, they've been a nice change of pace from what feels like the same set of matches every week.

3 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

The Young Lion matches for these Kizuna Road shows have been pretty fun. I wouldn't say you necessarily need to go out of your way to see them, but I would recommend checking out Suzuki-Uemura and Okada-Tsuji if you have the chance. If anything, they've been a nice change of pace from what feels like the same set of matches every week.

Absolutely agree. Nothing's been blow away, but it's really nice to see some of the top guys working singles as opposed to half-assing tag matches, especially when the roster is so thin that they really have been running the same match on repeat for weeks at times.

13 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

Looks like NJPW Strong is going to have fans. Haven't really watched it other than the Mox-KENTA match but have heard good things.

I've watched a little here and there, and it's mostly been solid. I could imagine watching it as a weekly show if there's fans and a better energy to the proceedings.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Putting the title on Shingo has me excited on where New Japan goes from here creatively. His 2021 is on pace to rival the great run he had in 2015.

It's amazing what a night & day difference it is between trying to go in the direction of EVIL & trying to go into the direction of Shingo, eh?

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Migs said:

Ibushi is officially out for the Dome show, Tana is replacing him. That's certainly a reasonable substitute, but it feels like New Japan is just cursed this year.

Covid hit everyone hard, but it sure seems New Japan has spent the whole pandemic getting kicked in the balls over and over again.