Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

This G1 lineup is unnecessarily weak. It legit pisses me off how New Japan refuses to work with other Japanese promotions. I hated it before the pandemic but I could at least understand the argument against it (would never agree with it, but still) and during it it just baffles me.

As OJ said, everything in Japan is a struggle right now, everyone would benefit with some interpromotional work in the country's biggest tour of the year.

In their current situation I have no clue what they are gonna do if they can't fly people in by January. Three nights of WK is an excess that demands gaijin to fill the gaps for it to be a successful experiment.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chase Owens. Yujiro. Tama Tonga. Tanga Loa. Are you fucking kidding me Gedo ? There's no reason why YOH isn't in it considering he's just turned heel. And by that reasoning, put fucking SHO in it too ! As far as BOTH GoD, it's legit go-away heat for me, give me one Bad Luck Fale for the same price, thank you. Great O-Khan looked at least more dynamic during the tag-team match, less gimmicky and using more wrestling power spots, so maybe he won't be as horrible as expected (that being said, he was working against two GOAT contenders). But still. No cool veteran. No outsider. No oddball name. The most boring and worst possible candidates on the roster to fill the gaps. Cherry picking HARD on this one.

Night 2 was much better, even the main event was fun. I mean, I knew it was gonna be bullshit and too long, so I might as well find a way to enjoy it since it has Takagi in it. And there was some actual fun bullshit (the revenge table spot, Red Shoes being a douche to EVIL at points). And Takagi is just the greatest, what an amazing worker he is. Best Bullet Club EVIL match, which is faint praise but also a testament to the greatness of Takagi.

The three-way I really enjoyed too, despite losing a wee bit of spark near the end. Gotta love the Taue/Kawada tribute spot by Dangerous Tekkers. The way they worked around all those combinations was really cool and compelling. The right team won too. Favorite match of the night for me, and I'm not a fan of three-ways. The tag team scene is SO MUCH better when GoD aren't around.

For all the talk about Hiromu's greatness, and I understand why, I always find his matches since his comeback to be a bit unengaging to me. Not sure why. I really like Robbie Eagles, so it's not the opposition. I dunno, something doesn't click I guess. Still very good of course, but not something that struck me as anything special, which you would expect from Hiromu. Maybe the G1 announcement sucked the life out of me at this point. The fact we get another Desperado title match doesn't excite me in the least either. Despi is the definition of *there*. 

Junior tag-title match was very good but I hope the whole corny loaded shoe bit is over and done with. Again, Gedo's fascination for the shittiest old-school US stuff hurts my enjoyment. Let the juniors work like juniors and leave the stupid gimmicks behind. Watching Kanemaru, crazy for how long this guy has been a good worker (even a great one in his prime). He's just so reliable.

Stardom match was super cool too.

Am I the only one who find Chris Charlton mildly annoying ? He's really good for facts and stats, but as a straight announcer, he's kinda grating to me especially when he tries to overexplain everything like we're in some overthought anime (who said SnK ?).

He's an old friend of Gedo, so I guess that's how he got in. Well, I guess we can blame him for putting *himself* at the center of attention now and all these awful EVIL main events. He was a great worker, but his booking ideas are shit and damaging to the company. More EVIL main event push ? Jay White as a babyface (he's only like the most brillant heel worker in the world) ? Send Togo's ass back to some sleazy indy already. What the fuck...

I'm trying to think of the G1 as a content delivery system. 10 Okada singles matches, 10 ZSJ, 10 Ishii... sure, some of the opponents leave something to be desired, but there's going to be a lot of great stuff despite themselves. And no one's forcing anyone to watch GOD singles matches.

I'll probably still watch all of the usual suspects' matches (Okada, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Naito, Shingo, ZSJ) but that's probably it. I'm usually a completionist with the G1 but I skipped all but one match on the final day of the A block in 2018 the last two shows or so of last year's B block. This year will be even less, ha.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:44 PM, Migs said:

I'm trying to think of the G1 as a content delivery system. 10 Okada singles matches, 10 ZSJ, 10 Ishii... sure, some of the opponents leave something to be desired, but there's going to be a lot of great stuff despite themselves. And no one's forcing anyone to watch GOD singles matches.

Well... nine, really. But, yeah that is probably the best way to look at it. 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:50 PM, Boss Rock said:

(Okada, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Naito, Shingo, ZSJ) 

Ishii!

Pretty much every ight has at least one match to hang your hat on (or at least pretty much every night of Block A):

September 18: Osaka Night 1)

Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tetsuya Naito

September 19: Osaka (Night 2) 

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada

September 23, Ota (3)

Shingo Takagi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

September 24, Ota (4)

Yeesh.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hirooki Goto, maybe?

September 26, Kobe (5)

Shingo Takagi vs. Tetsuya Naito
Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Tomohiro Ishii vs. KENTA

September 29, Korakuen Hall (6)

Uhhhhh...
Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb?

September 30, Korakuen Hall (7)

Shingo Takagi vs. KENTA

October 1, Shizuoka (8)

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA?
Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto?

Man... block B has a few rough nights in terms of potentially great matches.

October 3, Nagoya (9)

Kota Ibushi vs. Shingo Takagi
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Tetsuya Naito vs. Toru Yano

October 4, Korakuen (10)

Jeff Cobb vs. Taichi?

October 7, Hiroshima (11)

Tetsuya Naito vs. KENTA
Tomohiro Ishii vs. The Great-O-Khan
Toru Yano vs. Shingo Takagi

October 8, Kochi (12)

Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi???

October 9, Osaka (13)

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

October 12, Sendai (14)

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Jeff Cobb

October 13, Sendai (15)

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito
Toru Yano vs. Zack Sabre Jr., 

October 14, Yamagata (16)

Yeeeesshhhh... this night looks pretty skippable on paper. 

October 18, Yokohama (17)

Kota Ibushi vs. KENTA
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Toru Yano
Tetsuya Natio vs. Great-O-Khan

October 20, Budokan Hall (18)

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Taichi
Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cobb

(I suppose it would also be correct to say that every night has at least a couple of matches that look like they have zero chance of being really good). But there is quite a lot that should be well worth watching this year.

On the bad days above:

September 24 - I recall liking the last Sanada vs Taichi match at least a bit

September 29 - I got nothing.

October 14 - gotta think something will be worth watching from a story perspective at this stage of the tournament, unless the wins that need to lineup the final night are clear

For me personally, he hardest guys to predict (in terms of which matches to go out of my way to see) are the good tag workers like Taichi and Goto. With guys like Ishii, Cobb, Shingo... you know that if they have anything like a decent opponent it's gonna be really good. Taichi (e.g. last year's match vs Ibushi) and Goto (e.g. that WK 12 match vs Suzuki) are both capable of putting on something must-see, but it's not like you can count on them to put on a great singles match night after night... With Sanada and ZSJ in different blocks it's hard for me to count on anything from Sanada, but I'll be sure to check out his match vs Taichi this year.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'm all  ears. 

I'm cautiously hopeful that something like Shingo vs Loa or Cobb vs Tonga or, like, Tanahashi vs Chase Owens or something will surprise us all by tearing the house down. And ya never know when Yano's gonna come up with something really creative.

I'm almost talking myself into it...

I'll most likely tune in for tonight's show. I am also looking forward to Shingo vs Ishii, and Naito vs ZSJ should be good as well. I am cautiously hopeful that the other matches won't all go 20+ minutes and at least one of them will be surprisingly good. How I.feel at the end of the show will go a fair way in determining whether I make more shows appointment viewing or just cherry-pick matches after the fact.

I can certainly understand not being excited. I had planned to go to tonight's show live and in person (it's in Osaka) but I think I would hate sitting there quietly. Watching all those AEW shows recently with white hot screaming crowds really throws Covid-era Japanese crowds into very sharp contrast.

I think Migs' idea of treating it like a content-delivery system is bang on for this year.