Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

3 minutes ago, kas said:

I would be so ready for a proper NJPW/NOAH crossover.

That would freshen the NJ cards so much. This is what 2022 needs ! Old-ass Masato Tanaka (who is still a great worker, that guy is amazing and his career basically has gone under the radar because he's mostly been a Z1 and NOAH guy) just busting people up, Kiyomiya going against the NJPW elite and Nakajima & Ibushi trading kicks and sending the universe into oblivion. That would hype the fuck out of me.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, that seems like a pretty fun idea.

Caught up a little on last week's shows - does anyone know the deal with Taka and Taichi? I understand Taka getting kicked out of NJPW because of infidelity, and the idea that by doing so he (in kayfabe) abandoned Suzuki-gun. But this seemed to go beyond that - like, was the infidelity with Taichi's girlfriend or something?

30 minutes ago, Migs said:

Caught up a little on last week's shows - does anyone know the deal with Taka and Taichi? I understand Taka getting kicked out of NJPW because of infidelity, and the idea that by doing so he (in kayfabe) abandoned Suzuki-gun. But this seemed to go beyond that - like, was the infidelity with Taichi's girlfriend or something?

Kicked out of NJPW for "infidelity" ? Holy shit... :rolleyes: Private life people, it should still be a thing.

But anyway, not following the thing at all, sounds bizarre to say the least. BTW Taichi is married to the former Ofune, who was one of TAKA's first K-Dojo trainees.

NJPW working with other companies in Japan again is long overdue. That could be really really super fun. G1 2022.... 

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Kicked out of NJPW for "infidelity" ? Holy shit... :rolleyes: Private life people, it should still be a thing.

But anyway, not following the thing at all, sounds bizarre to say the least. BTW Taichi is married to the former Ofune, who was one of TAKA's first K-Dojo trainees.

NJPW working with other companies in Japan again is long overdue. That could be really really super fun. G1 2022.... 

That's just one of those cultural things, that's highly frowned upon in Japan so it's not just someone in New Japan being a prude about it. 

I know Taichi had had an affair years ago that caused controversy, but I don't think he was punished. Neither was Shibata when it was revealed he had an affair in 2017 (interestingly enough they broke the news that Okada got engaged to his-then fiancee on the same day, likely to draw attention away).

I do recall the news TAKA had an affair, but had no idea that's what caused his absence.

Its very much an honor/respect based culture and despite how it seems to us folks on the outside sometimes, VERY conservative. Affairs are seen as bringing shame to yourself and everyone around you, and one like TAKA's that went on for nearly a decade mean he was a liar as well as a shameful adulterer. So that's a double whammy for him. 

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Tanahashi had to apologize for causing bad publicity for the industry after his crazy ex-girlfriend stabbed him. Japan is weird sometimes.

I was trying to remember if he got into any trouble after his ex tried to stab him. Was he cheating on her too?

And Taka even had to leave his own promotion (Kaintai Dojo), so it had to be a pretty big deal. It does make you wonder why some infidelity cases are able to go under the radar and others don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been watching BOSJ and World Tag League? Any recommendations? I've been cherry picking a few things and haven't found much to strongly recommend. I guess the Nagata/Tiger Mask-Suzuki/Taka main event was fun if you're into Suzuki and Nagata hitting each other hard, but even that didn't feel essential at all.

3 hours ago, Migs said:

Has anyone been watching BOSJ and World Tag League? Any recommendations? I've been cherry picking a few things and haven't found much to strongly recommend. I guess the Nagata/Tiger Mask-Suzuki/Taka main event was fun if you're into Suzuki and Nagata hitting each other hard, but even that didn't feel essential at all.

I watched Despy/Hiromu as there seemed to be a lot of talk about it online relative to the rest of the tour.  It was fine but wouldn't say remotely necessary unless you're looking to hit everything or are a huge of both/either wrestlers.  Little buzz elsewhere across either tourney so I'm essentially treating this as a break until the Korakuens before WK and whatever fun may be planned following that.

11 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

The way things are looking right now, NJPW is going to be the least of things ruined by omicron. 

Well, if it could ruin the Winter Olympic Games taking place in a dictatorship currently committing a genocide, it would be a start...

On the PWO side, not followed either tournaments taking place right now, I may watch the finals as they happen on the same show, which I guess will give us more of the WK matches to come. After Power Struggle, NJPW's year is basically done for me.